The online racing simulator
Computer / Racing Seat
(19 posts, started )
Computer / Racing Seat
I wasnt sure whether to class this hardware or not, but as you sit on it, it probably is

I'm revamping my room by getting a new desk, and reorgansing things around my now massive new bed, and I thought it was about time to upgrade from that cheapo £14 plastic chair I've been wrecking my back on for the last 4 years. I've basically got 2 choices, but I really cant decide and I was wondering if anyone has used / sat in / owns either of these:
  1. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6210832.htm
  2. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6178077.htm
I've love a full racing seat, but I dont have room and I need to use the PC for other things (like work, coding, lounging on IRC, etc.), but the first chair makes me think it might add to the realism of LFS, and might help my driving by being more comfortable and not hunched over my wheel. But I'm really not sure how comfy its going to be sat at the PC doing normal work. My workmate thinks, since its a bucket seat, that your arse will sit really really low, and make working normally more difficult. But I really cant decide if hes right or not.

Does anyone have any opinion or alternative suggestions? Bear in mind that £90 is my upper most limit, otherwise I'd have an Aeron. I'd also like the opinion on bucket seats in general, and how you think it would relate to #1, as I've never sat in one for long periods of time, and since I'm increasingly working from home I'm going to be on this chair a lot!
lol!! Argos!
I got the second one about a year ago and after about 6 months the back had broken and that made the 2 arms snap over time. it has absolutely no padding and feels cheap.

There's a reason they're cheap....

My advice, save up an extra few quid and buy a nice one that you've sat in at a furniture shop.

Regarding bucket seats i'm planning on converting a Sparco Seat into an office chair. A mate of mine has done it and he uses it for everyday duty. He just cut a bit out of the 'under thigh' support so your legs dont sit up high. That stops you sitting lower than normal then.

My 2cents
wheels on the bottom of the chair? i dont know how that would add to the realism of LFS. wouldnt the chair move whenever you try to step on the pedals?
I agree here with nikimere. Don't byt those cheapos. I bough one almost similar and it did cost about 120€ and after a week it made sqeeaky noises and the backrest was looking it will break soon, so it took it back.

When I get more free time, I'll look into the racing seat I've planned for some time now

Quote from immense :wheels on the bottom of the chair? i dont know how that would add to the realism of LFS. wouldnt the chair move whenever you try to step on the pedals?

I have always played with a seat that has wheels. And never had any "sliding problems" outside the sim
Quote from immense :wheels on the bottom of the chair? i dont know how that would add to the realism of LFS. wouldnt the chair move whenever you try to step on the pedals?

Errr, no....?

Thanks for the opinions guys
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I just got a normal office chair for my room, none of this leather with arms rubbish hugeness. Does me fine. I got mine from Office World, but the back of mine is a bit shit and I crushed the plastic inside. Had to take the chair apart and put metal bracing in it to keep it in shape. Is fine now though. Still squeaks a bit mind.

I say get a chair that reclines, then you can just tilt it back under acceleration - who needs a motion sim / silly moving chair!
Quote from thisnameistaken :Dunno how Niki managed to break the back, unless he actually is that big fatass guy in his avatar

You found me out!
No seriously, maybe it was because i tend to lean back everytime i brake when playin LFS... dunno why, i just do! lol!
I think I've got a problem. The bucket style one is calling to me. I have this really good habit of not buying things when I first see them, but the problem is that I cant stop thinking about the next similar item I see and eventually buy it despite advice from other people. I then find out its shite, and get pissed off. Argh.

Help
-
Who needs armrests? They just get in the way when you want to tumble off the chair to the floor, crawl to the bed and fall asleep Or in my current situation, roll off chair, onto bed
I was in this exact situation about this time last year. Either the 2nd chair or the racing seat. In the end I chose the 2nd chair. Its ok, nothing great. Lacks padding so I'm gonna take it apart and remake it. I personally couldnt stretch to the racing chair at the time.

On a side note, what you say about refraining from buying stuff straight away then not being able to stop thinking about it is a big problem I have. I just refrained from buying a dell widescreen monitor, but I've literally just come back from a Waitrose Home store and seen the Apple equivalent there, and my finger is now hovering over the add to cart button. Ugh such a dilema.
I'm not a fan of armwrests, they get in the way and they're not usually even comfy. If you want armwrests buy a sofa.
Just wanted to point out since someone mentioned it. I use a regular office chair to race with. I have my pedals sitting on an angled platform I made to raise them up. For the wheels (actually casters) on chairs, I have pretty thick carpet (no padding underneath) and the chair doesn't move around at all. In fact, it is a very slight struggle just to move it when you want to on the thicker carpet. I use to have thin Berber carpet and the chair DID move back under braking on it. One thing you want to be sure of is that the recline can lock on the chair. It would drive me nuts if every time I braked, the chair would recline backwards.
I like the look of the car shaped seat (in first post), but is it made well?

I've got a similar posh office car (about £90 from Staples). I lower it to the bottom and I keep it tilted back for racing by jamming a wooden door-stop underneath.
I want to figure out a way to raise and tilt my pedals next.

edit: I meant 'similar posh office chair', not 'car'. oops
Quote from P1lot :I like the look of the car shaped seat (in first post), but is it made well?

I dont know yet; it arrived about 5 minutes ago, but its not in one piece since im on the phone to a customer.
TAA - If you know of a Hardware Shop called Focus ( DIY Shop ) they do that Bucket seat cheaper than Argos. They call it the Monaco Seat. I think it was £69.99, or is down here anyway

Very nice to sit in, I often test it when I visit the shop, and I just get the glare from the wife
So, wanna buy a Cyberseat? Okay, it's about £8,140 over your limit, but it's not an unbendable limit anyways, isn't it?

Quote from Fordman :TAA - If you know of a Hardware Shop called Focus ( DIY Shop ) they do that Bucket seat cheaper than Argos. They call it the Monaco Seat. I think it was £69.99, or is down here anyway

Bugger :doh: I've just got it all unwrapped and built now. Totally butchered the box too. I must admit its very very very very very comfy I'll give it a quick test when playing LFS during lunch

<3 working from home
-
Considering I walk to work its a bit of a moot point, but definately
-

Computer / Racing Seat
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG