The online racing simulator
Setup for the UF1000 - does this make sense?
I'm fiddling around with the UF1000 setup for the Ashton Cadet track and I'm having a lot of trouble.

Firstly, it seems to get the front tyres to heat up evenly I have to have a lot of positive camber! Does that make sense?

Secondly, I can't get the rear tyres to heat up anywhere near the optimal temperature! I've taken the pressure right down but still can't get them out of the blue.

Any tips?
Quote from Ikaponthus :Secondly, I can't get the rear tyres to heat up anywhere near the optimal temperature! I've taken the pressure right down but still can't get them out of the blue.

Try hybrid tyres

I know, I know... you're on tarmac but just try it
While lower pressure helps generate heat, it also creates more rolling resistance, so you will be slower in a straight line. Not good for the UF1. Also, it will generate more grip at the rear of the car, so more understeer, so the front tyres will get more of a workout than the rear, so the difference could get worse. You could try high tyre pressures at the rear, if you slide a little, that will warm the rears up, this stopping the sliding. I've not really used the UF1 that match so can't suggest as to where the optimum would be.

As for heating, you don't want even heating, you want equal loads during cornering, which on the UF1 (with its lack of ARBs) you probably want near maximum negative camber. This should make the inner edges nice and warm but the outside edges even cooler. Within normal ranges, tyres in LFS are more sensitive to camber than pressure.
Quote from Bob Smith :
As for heating, you don't want even heating, you want equal loads during cornering, which on the UF1 (with its lack of ARBs) you probably want near maximum negative camber. This should make the inner edges nice and warm but the outside edges even cooler. Within normal ranges, tyres in LFS are more sensitive to camber than pressure.

Thanks for you reply. If you have time, can u please go into a little more detail here? Why do I not want even heating? And how can I tell if there are equal loads on the tyre during cornering?
The F9 display that gives you your temperatures, also shows the loads on each segment of the tyre. Check here for more info.

Even heating, when averaged over the course of the race, will include both straights and cornering. It is during cornering that you need your tyres to be optimally set up; equal loads during cornering should give equal heating, during cornering, on the outside tyres (the important ones). Due to camber gain and body roll, the inside tyres will likely be very negatively cambered, thus heating the inside of the tyre more than the rest. Also during straights and under acceleration and especially braking, you tyres will be negatively cambered, so again the inside of the tyres will heat up more. So if you get the tyres cambered so the outside tyres are loaded and heating equally during cornering, then the temperatures will always be higher on the inside. As a rule of the thumb, the difference between outside and inside temperatures should be about 10 to 15 degrees, or 5 to 8 degrees for each of the three tyre segments across the width of the tyre for which we have readings in LFS.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG