The online racing simulator
Moped os small bike
(52 posts, started )
Moped os small bike
I just want to know what would be the best moped or small bike(under 110cc) for me? im turning 16 in a month and i dont know anything about bikes and i just want to know what kind of bikes are out there. i want one that can go atleast 50mp/h and the bike cant be over 14.7bhp because thats the highest i can go at 16.

I think a honda nsr75 would be good but they keep selling out very quick. My price range is from €0-€700($1030).
Wait a year and buy a car.
If you do go down the two wheel route, get a bike. Mopeds/scoots are boring as hell to ride. Then again it can get tedious shifting gears to get to bugger all speed.

If you're looking for cheap and cheerful, try find something like a Honda H100 or Kawasaki AR80, or anything similar to those for that matter. As it's a first road bike you won't want to put loads of money into, as you are more prone (not saying you will) to having an off. Not everyone does, but theres always the chance, even if it's your 1st, 101st road bike theres always the chance.
i dont really mind if its manual because im practacing on my friends manual bike and im starting to get the hang of it. jus as long as im not plling the clutch out too fast
Quote from [106]dan :i dont really mind if its manual because im practacing on my friends manual bike and im starting to get the hang of it. jus as long as im not plling the clutch out too fast

Just pulling away you need to be gentle with the clutch, once your moving it doesn't matter how fast or slow you use it.
Quote from beefyman666 :Just pulling away you need to be gentle with the clutch, once your moving it doesn't matter how fast or slow you use it.

i know i just need to practice starting off smooth.
#8 - Jakg
Do you REALLY want a bike? If you can afford a car then WAIT.
If your turning 16 max you are allowed is 50cc insurance will be about £300 duno in euros and depends what bike you want really lots to choose from.
Them Genetta's(or however you spell them) are cool . I think Jakg has one,look's pretty cool.
#11 - Jakg
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :If your turning 16 max you are allowed is 50cc insurance will be about £300 duno in euros and depends what bike you want really lots to choose from.

He's in Ireland.

For reference - i pay £220 for 3rd Party Fire+Theft for my bike as a 16 year old.

Quote from 11SuLLy11 :Them Genetta's(or however you spell them) are cool . I think Jakg has one,look's pretty cool.

Gilera DNA 50

IMO it's the only bike that doesn't look like a heap of shite (apart from bikes like the Reiju and the RS50, but they are WAY too expensive). Unfortunately it's 50cc and now 7 years old, and 16 year olds never replace anything, they just let it get worse and worse and then sell it. As it's so slow (that 50cc bike will do ~50 MPH) its had the nuts revved of it for 7 years, and so mechanically it's a heap of shite.

If your buying a bike prepare to get cold. And wet. And to have to spend a lot of time fixing it. And for it to break in the most random of ways.

EDIT - I love it to bits, though.

If your JUST doing Town Riding i'd buy a brand new Chinese scooter like the Baotian. £400, no power, wont last long, but frankly it'll be a lot more reliable than any used bike you buy. My other advice is that if you can do NOT get a 50cc. Here in the UK at least the 125cc version of my bike sells for the same price (if a little cheaper) used and are in much better condition and faster.

For reference i paid £630 for my bike, however since then on parts i've probably spend £300 (!) to keep the bloody thing going.
Quote from beefyman666 :Mopeds/scoots are boring as hell to ride.

what? scooters are a right laugh, esp round twisty road or round town, ok maybe on a long straight road its boring doing 50mph and getting every over vehicle on the road driving round/past you like you dont exist.
The only scoots I had fun on was a C90 and a cheap monkey bike which was basically a tiny C50.

I will admit I'd like to have a blap on one of those tweaked 180 Runners, they're supposed to be pretty quick for a scoot.
#15 - Jakg
Really? I can't believe that you'd pay £709 (aka just under £460 MORE than me) to insure it. Have you shopped around?

If it will cost that much to insure i'd save your money for a car if you want one.
i've looked everywhere for a cheaper insurance but thats the cheapest and i am going to get a car when im 17 but i just wat a moped for a year so i dont want one that will ast forever. i just want one that will be fast enough because my friend has a 125cc that can do 60mph and we'll be driving around on them and i want to be able to keep up.
#17 - MR_B
What is the 125 that can do 60? :-\
Got a Gilera DNA 125 upto 72 on a flat road once upon a time. No wind.

Edit: Yes i always wore correct safety gear. I love my Shoei XR1000...
my dad told me that hes not going to pay for a 125 so i need a fast 50 cc bike
#19 - Jakg
"Fast" 50cc? 50 MPH is the best your going to get unless you get a 50cc which has been modified to 70cc
Quote from Jakg :"Fast" 50cc? 50 MPH is the best your going to get unless you get a 50cc which has been modified to 70cc

Unless you get a piaggio(sp?) Typhoon
#21 - Jakg
Enlighten Me. Go on.

My bike's been fettled a bit (ie new Exhaust and an upgraded Piston+Bore) and it'll do about 50 flat out. Stuff like Aprilia RS50's (before i got mine I saw a 1999 one sell for £1,500!) may go faster (ie 60) but who the funk spends that kinda cash (Thats almost triple what i spent on my bike, and £1,000 short of mine NEW) on a 9 year old bike?!)

I remember some ad for some Peugeot Speedfight special edition being the fastest-accelerating scooter in the world, but after i did my CBT on a Speedfight that wouldn't go faster than 35 MPH (which is odd as it SHOULD be restricted, but wasn't!) was a heap of shit I wouldn't recommmend it (imo all the "scooter style" bikes are naff to ride anyway). A review of a 2001 Typhoon puts the top speed at a mind blowing 46 MPH.

EDIT - Oh cock. Just seen a mint RS50 from 1999 in Colchester (aka as near here as my bike was) sell for £550. Balls.
My personal recommendation is a used Yamaha RXS-100 in good shape. They're generally rock solid but easy to work on and can be modified quite a bit without spending too much. Depending on the condition of the engine, one in decent shape will manage 65-70 mph without too much trouble. I had an '83 RX-100 that would routinely smoke the fancy new 125 4-strokes despite me having a passenger (though mine was far from stock).
Well from what i remember the piaggio Typhoon has a 70 engine by default but its restrcited to be the same as a 50cc. If you derestrcit one, they go like a rocket.
Quote from Jakg :Stuff like Aprilia RS50's (before i got mine I saw a 1999 one sell for £1,500!) may go faster (ie 60) but who the funk spends that kinda cash (Thats almost triple what i spent on my bike, and £1,000 short of mine NEW) on a 9 year old bike?!)

Fail.
Quote from Jakg :"Fast" 50cc? 50 MPH is the best your going to get unless you get a 50cc which has been modified to 70cc

My 50 did an indicated 72mph, it still had the original engine.

Edit: that Ebay link in General's post, that's the same replica I had, Harada rep. I paid £1050 for it on a W plate. This was 5 years ago, so it was only a year or so old when I bought it.

Moped os small bike
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG