The online racing simulator
frame rates and FFB
(16 posts, started )
frame rates and FFB
Hello
Old S1 driver, got back into it, just got S2.
I have a XPS700, quad core 6600 and GTS8800 video 640mb.
during single runs, frames are in the 125's to 150's.
during a race or replay, 15 <wow!> to 25......
I do have a momo with ffb enabled as well.
Any ideas on the drop in frame rate? Kinda sucks to watch it jitter during a cool replay, and knowing I have almost the fastest hardware avail.
Oh, DX is up to date, mobo and vid cards are latest drivers from nvidia. nforce 9.53 mobo and 169.21 video.
Thanks
#2 - steve
I'm affriad your problem is that you have bought an overpriced Dell.
LOL!
Well yes it is overpriced, but it's not stock.
I added the quad and the 8800 as well as upped the mem to 4gb, and added an extra 500gb drive space. oh plus a 24" hidef monitor and klipsh surround sound.
not stock by all means.....but it rocks -)
umm
actually my vid card is better than urs and i get 200 fps
so what card/driver and do you have settings maxed in lfs?
max sets in lfs idk vid card?
ummmmm ok

u dont know what card you have or driver, yet "mine is better than urs" lol thats almost hilarious.

anyways...I posted this question to get an answer, not argue who is better ect........

back to the subject......

how come there is a huge drop in frame rate when running (yes I said ALMOST) the fastest hardware out there, does
anyone have a clue?
I have several sims....and most are in the 100+ fps with settings maxed, this sim drops like a rock during racing or replays.....

thank you
#8 - wien
Are you racing online or offline? LFS with a full grid of AI can bring even the most powerful CPU available to it's knees if you have all settings at full tilt. Also try adjusting the Dynamic LOD reduction closer to 1.0 and see if that helps. That will automatically reduce some graphical detail if the framerate drops.
#9 - gegeg
hi there

got a question 2

i have a

amd 2x2200 939 socket
2 gb 400mhz ram
nvidia 8800 gt

i get between 30 and 60 at ltc cruise server

got all filters at card and settings in lfs on high

even when i turn details down i dont get more fps how can that be??
#10 - wien
You probably have Full screen vertical sync enabled. That will sync your framerate to your monitor's refreshrate (60Hz probably). If your computer can't give a steady 60FPS and vsync is enabled, the framerate will drop steeply to 30. Try turning it off.
Hi wien
First off, thank you for a non-bs reply to a question......I appreciate it.
Secondly, yes the dynamic lod reduction helped quite a bit...I am now in the 50's range when racing everything maxed and a full grid.
I also have vsync disabled...which probably will help too.
Again, thank you for the reply and appreciate your help.
viper3two
also wien, another note.....
yes I agree the ai are very cpu intensive. noticed a big frame increase by reducing the field a little. This is very similar to Flight Sim X, which is cpu intensive. Doesn't matter what hardware you have, that sim will bring a cpu to a crawl with everything maxed......
Thanks!
#13 - wien
Indeed. I remember being a little bit disappointed when I got my own Q6600 and I still couldn't run a full grid with everything on full. But that comes with the territory of being a realistic sim. Doing full detail physics for 20 cars and having 20 AI drivers actually drive them (with a virtual steering- wheel and pedals) at the same time does add up to an awful lot of CPU load. Keep your fingers crossed for multi-threading support in the future to help alleviate some of it.
LFS doesn't use more than 1 CPU as far as im aware, would need a re-write in the code or something.
#15 - wien
Quote from steve :LFS doesn't use more than 1 CPU as far as im aware, would need a re-write in the code or something.

Yees, which why I told him to keep his fingers crossed for multi-threading support. Scawen has mentioned it so it will probably happen eventually. But as with everything in LFS it takes time.
I thought I'd be the king of the land with my 8800GT, but in lfs it just performs like arse. That could be a big part of your problem. Either buy Scawen an nVidia card or get yourself an ATI

frame rates and FFB
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG