The online racing simulator
Firefox 3 Beta 3
(60 posts, started )
Quote from wien :I wouldn't be too happy if that disappeared after an upgrade.

neither would i but a beta should never ever influence the current version install in any way

edit:
the worst bit is it meddled with my cookies causing me to be logged out on all forums i use with ff
#27 - wien
Quote from Shotglass :neither would i but a beta should never ever influence the current version install in any way

Yeah, a different AppData directory for the betas would probably be the best solution.
Quote from Shotglass :as i said its installed in a different dir but it saves its preferences in either the same registry keys or in the same dir in app data
the result is that every time i switch between the ff versions i either get i dialog telling me that my plugins arent compatible with ff3 or that ff2 has just been updated

obviously coded by monkeys

Ah yeah - the golden rule of running multiple FF versions: always use the -p switch to start your new installation for the first time and make a new profile which you will use only with that version.
#29 - Jakg
Anyone got a screenshot of the new-look FF? I LOVE Firefox, but i'm not going to risk fuggering up my copy of Firefox to se the new Ui
Quote from Jakg :Anyone got a screenshot of the new-look FF? I LOVE Firefox, but i'm not going to risk fuggering up my copy of Firefox to se the new Ui

Voila...
Attached images
Untitled-1.jpg
#31 - Jakg
That looks sorta... crap tbh.
Yeah - Jakg, it doesn't look that different physically, but there are a lot of tiny changes that make it a much bigger joy to use.

My favorite feature is the new address bar history stuff:
Attached images
Best Part.JPG
#33 - aoun
#34 - wien
Quote from Bean0 :Voila...

Gah, it's not really very pretty, is it? All the new icons are so horribly thin and flimsy. There's no heft to them. They don't really match the OS either, which they were supposed to, so I fail to see the point of them.
Quote from xaotik :Ah yeah - the golden rule of running multiple FF versions: always use the -p switch to start your new installation for the first time and make a new profile which you will use only with that version.

doesnt exactly solve the problem since theres only one profile.ini in the appdata for both versions (seriously whoever came up with that for a beta deserves to be shot have his head cut off and peed into his neck) so you have to use the switch every single time you start ff to manually select a different profile

and about that new address bar
why do so many programs insist on gigantic letters and enourmous buttons
i wont buy a 30" monitor just to be able to fit the same amount of information on my screen again
Quote from wien :Gah, it's not really very pretty, is it? All the new icons are so horribly thin and flimsy. There's no heft to them. They don't really match the OS either, which they were supposed to, so I fail to see the point of them.

Who uses the default theme anyway? That's one thing i like about Firefox, hundreds of nice themes available
#37 - wien
Quote from The Moose :Who uses the default theme anyway?

I do. Quite like the current one actually. (Except in Vista where it contracts the blue colour that plagues the rest of the OS, not Mozilla's fault.)

I know I can (and will) switch to another theme, but having a horrible default theme won't help Firefox attract new users. To most people the visuals are more important than features to create a good first impression.
Quote from The Moose :Who uses the default theme anyway? That's one thing i like about Firefox, hundreds of nice themes available

Unfortunately, not for version 3 atm. Soon, though... I hope. I'm sad I've lost my TabEffect plug-in (rotating cube switching between tabs) and Fullerscreen kind of works, unless you're looking at a .swf file, in which case it screws everything up.

But yeah, I miss my add-on theme.
i have a question. The little i have used firefox i thought it was only ok, and thought it just seemed like a good looking Internet explorer (no offense to ff lovers) can someone explain to me why all ff users are so in love with it?
#40 - Jakg
Extensions.

AdBlock removes ads.

Currency Converter automagically converts other currencies to £'s for me.

Fasterfox makes things faster.

Greasemonkey lets me do all sorts of fancy shizz.

Various other extensions do all sorts of cool stuff i couldn't surf the internet without.

Also, Firefox just... works. IE has a habit of being crap in every way...
#41 - wien
Quote from speed1 :i have a question. The little i have used firefox i thought it was only ok, and thought it just seemed like a good looking Internet explorer (no offense to ff lovers) can someone explain to me why all ff users are so in love with it?

For me as a web-developer it's purely down to standards support. IE has caused me more grief than any other browser over the last decade by a hefty margin. It's standards support is completely worthless and is responsible for about 40% of the time I spend on the average HTML/CSS design, purely bacause of all the rendering bugs it has. It also severely limits the things I can do and the features I can use since IE doesn't support huge amounts of cool CSS features. If it wasn't for it's userbase, I would have started ignoring it years ago.

You can use any browser you want as far as I care, as long as it isn't IE. IE needs to die.
I always use FireFox, nothing else. I hate when I'm at school and I'm forced to use IE. On my personal computer at school I installed firefox though.
I don't have that many plug ins.. Adblock, hideIP, fasterfox, vid downloader, statusbar thingy, downthemall and.. google toolbar

I'm not going to try the new beta, I'll just wait.
Quote from Jakg :Various other extensions do all sorts of cool stuff i couldn't surf the internet without.

whatever happened to the unix aradigm of one trick ponys? ff seems very bloaty to me
my ideal browser would be the size of lynx with graphic rendering and a decent history and recent handling which is what ie6 comes closest to (the only thing i dont like is that there is no way to open a link in a background window with a single click ... and no i dont like tabs)

Quote from wien :For me as a web-developer it's purely down to standards support.

thereby making ie the de facto industry standard
imho its rather silly to fuss about standards when youre looking in the face of 50% market share

plus ie excells in the department of bowser history which every other browser is completely rubbish at (especially ff)
#44 - wien
Quote from Shotglass :thereby making ie the de facto industry standard

De facto standards are useless since I can't look them up anywhere. Developing through trial and error to work around bugs in IE is a hugely annoying enterprise. (Which is what I do during those 40% I mentioned above) If it wasn't for the bugs, and there actually was some consistency in the way IE worked it'd be tolerable, but it's just a huge buggy mess. Ridiculous from the biggest software company on earth.

And with alternative browsers being as popular as they thankfully are these days, ignoring anything but IE is hardly an option either.

EDIT: To properly illustrate how bad IE really is, here are a couple of links to unhacked versions of a page I recently made. (Any links on these pages link to the hacked version. Add hacks=none to the query string to see the unhacked version.)

http://www.kjokken-elverum.no/ ... egory_id=2&hacks=none
http://www.kjokken-elverum.no/index.php?hacks=none

The additional CSS required to fix these problems in IE can be found in http://www.kjokken-elverum.no/css/ie6.css and http://www.kjokken-elverum.no/css/ie7.css.
I think I'll stick with my Nightly builds of Webkit (Safari), mostly becuase the new FF versions are looking a bit... bleh. They break so many behaviours that I've become used to with FF1 and FF2, that I can't be bothered to try and relearn it, so it can get changed again. Atleast I know that Safari will remain rather consistent.

Oh why Firefox, must you get worse.
Quote from wien :Yeah, a different AppData directory for the betas would probably be the best solution.

Or simply run FF with -profilemanager, create a new profile, and run FF3B3 with that new profile and FF2 with the original... problem solved.
Quote from JamesF1 :Or simply run FF with -profilemanager, create a new profile, and run FF3B3 with that new profile and FF2 with the original... problem solved.

doesnt work because theres no way to do it without selecting a profile every single time you start ff

speaking of bad placement of settings in open souce software... who the hell came up with the idea to put mouse and keyboard driver settings into a file responsible for the gui?
i spent 1+h last night trying to get my mouse to work properly (side buttons... theyve been around for at least 5 years now and the linux world still hasnt managed to support them out of the box) in ubuntu
every single time i set something wrong (on the mouse side which shouldnt have any influence on x imho) xorg.conf automagically reset itself to some arbitrary default settings taking my monitor settings (which dont really work even if theyre configured correctly causing 51hz in the menu to actually send signals at the 85hz i use to the monitor ?!?) my nvidia drivers and compiz out all in one go
closest i ever got was after i set my mouse up to be handled by evdev which worked beautifully for the side buttons but completely messed up the cursor keys and the del ins etc block on my keyboard
and just for the record xset m 0 0 isnt exaclty what i call ellegant when it comes to disabling mouse accel which i can do with a single click on my mouse driver in windows

sry had to rant somewhere and this place seemed strangely appropriate... if anybody would like to help despite all this i would apprechiate it
Quote from Shotglass :doesnt work because theres no way to do it without selecting a profile every single time you start ff

Create a shortcut to Firefox with -P "<name_of_profile>" and you're done (you need the quotes).
Does right-clicking cause you a Close To Desktop too?
Quote from Fabri91 :Does right-clicking cause you a STD too?

Nonsense - everyone knows that just clicking is safe hex.

Firefox 3 Beta 3
(60 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG