The online racing simulator
Firefox 3 Beta 3
(60 posts, started )
Firefox 3 Beta 3
Anyone else using this? I must say that in the first 3 minutes of me using this, I do really like the new interface, but it seems to be slower then the current stable release. I can only hope that changes over time. And for some reason it takes FOREVER to close tabs, some times requiring two hits on the X button for that tab.
#2 - Bean0
Quote from Dygear :Anyone else using this? I must say that in the first 3 minutes of me using this, I do really like the new interface, but it seems to be slower then the current stable release. I can only hope that changes over time. And for some reason it takes FOREVER to close tabs, some times requiring two hits on the X button for that tab.

It's slower a little here too but I have Fasterfox installed on Firefox 2 so maybe that is why it's faster than FF3 beta3.
Yeah - I downloaded it yesterday actually, and I find it's a pretty big improvement over the previous one. I sure as hell hope they've fixed the memory leak though.
great despite being installed in its own directiory it interferes with my existing install of ff
epoch fail
Quote from Shotglass :great despite being installed in its own directiory it interferes with my existing install of ff
epoch fail

You select Custom, not standard. Because if you select Standard, then offcourse it will install to default directory. Selecting custom allows you to select in which directory to install.
Or did i understood something wrong? :banghead:
So shall I download it or not? If it's not faster than v2...
Quote from Töki (HUN) :So shall I download it or not? If it's not faster than v2...

There's plans for one more beta, then a couple of release candidates, then 3.0 final. They say it should be out this quarter, so you'll be updated to it before long anyway.

You should only try it if you don't mind using software in a beta state, as there could be unknown serious bugs. Also you may find that your favourite extensions don't work in the new version.
On IE, you could have numerous homepages and they all opened when you opened the program. But with FF, you can only have one homepage, but you can add them to the Bookmarks Toolbar and "Open All In Tabs"...

...With FF3.0 it just opens one "Untitled Document"

Seems okay apart from that. The interface seems a little rough around the edge and a bit "cheap". That's all.
#12 - axus
Opera for teh win.
Quote from The General Lee :On IE, you could have numerous homepages and they all opened when you opened the program. But with FF, you can only have one homepage, but you can add them to the Bookmarks Toolbar and "Open All In Tabs"...

...With FF3.0 it just opens one "Untitled Document"

Seems okay apart from that. The interface seems a little rough around the edge and a bit "cheap". That's all.

Have you tried seperating sites you want as multiple homepages with | ?
Quote from Bean0 :Have you tried seperating sites you want as multiple homepages with | ?

Quote from Thor :Firefox Multiple Homepages in tabs is easy

http://www.google.co.uk/ig|http://www.bbc.co.uk

Opens Igoogle and BBC on 2 tabs

YAY!

Now I have no real reason to prefer IE over FF!

Thanks guys.
Quote from axus :Opera for teh win.

Yes, Opera does rock. And I give it huge massive props for supporting CSS3 and JavaScript 2 for some time now. And doing both of that properly. But Firefox has a much better chance of getting the masses on a browser that is not evil.

Quote from Stang70Fastback :XKCD rules <<--- one of my favorites

Oh, and one more.

Yeah, I freaking love the Gyroscopes one, funny as hell! Plus I do always seem to be stuck at a Long Light.

----

Back on topic, I do have to say I am really loving the improved address bar, look back feature. That rocks, and within an hour of me installing FF3B3 I have already used this feature, and it might of saved me some time. Good work FF Dev Team!
#17 - wien
Quote from Dygear :Yes, Opera does rock. And I give it huge massive props for supporting CSS3 and JavaScript 2 for some time now. And doing both of that properly.

I wouldn't say it supports CSS3. CSS3 isn't even a finished recommendation at this point. It supports some parts of it that are more or less nailed down, but so does Safari and to a certain extent Firefox too. They're still one of the best on standards support though.
Opera would rock if it had all these nifty extensions. They are so freaking handy.
Opera is soooo slow on my machine for some reason.
I've never really seen what all the fuss is about with Opera. It seems to do less than Firefox.

Call me stuck in my ways but i don't see myself changing from Firefox now. (and I've never noticed any memory leak)
Is there a way to get rid of the irritating "Home" link on the bookmark toolbar? Call me stupid but I can't seem to figure out how...
Quote from The Moose :Opera is soooo slow on my machine for some reason.
I've never really seen what all the fuss is about with Opera. It seems to do less than Firefox.

On my computer Opera opens almost instantly while FF will make me stare at a blank screen for half a minute. So I don't run FF unless I have to. :nod

As for standards compliance, I saw a big big table comparing IE, Opera and FF and it was in fact FF that got most of the things right, Opera slightly behind and IE... well...
Quote from Gil07 :Is there a way to get rid of the irritating "Home" link on the bookmark toolbar? Call me stupid but I can't seem to figure out how...

Right Click > Customize
Drag the offending item out of the toolbar.
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :You select Custom, not standard. Because if you select Standard, then offcourse it will install to default directory. Selecting custom allows you to select in which directory to install.
Or did i understood something wrong? :banghead:

as i said its installed in a different dir but it saves its preferences in either the same registry keys or in the same dir in app data
the result is that every time i switch between the ff versions i either get i dialog telling me that my plugins arent compatible with ff3 or that ff2 has just been updated

obviously coded by monkeys
Quote from Stregone :Opera would rock if it had all these nifty extensions. They are so freaking handy.

Agreed. I actually run Firefox (everyday browser), Opera, Safari, IE and Lynx (latter 4 for dev purposes) but would probably swap to Opera if it had at least some of the extensions I've all but come to rely on for work. Things like Firebug, WebDev Toolbar, Cookie Editor etc and other convenience extensions like NoScript, Flashblock, Referrer Options and the most important, AdBlock.

Firefox has become pretty slow in general (possibly due to a fair few extensions being installed) but for me, it's still the best (as in the most all-round convenient).

Regards,

Ian
#25 - wien
Quote from Shotglass :obviously coded by monkeys

The plug ins should obviously be stored in different directories according to version, but I like the fact that it remembers my history and bookmarks across versions. I wouldn't be too happy if that disappeared after an upgrade.

Firefox 3 Beta 3
(60 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG