The online racing simulator
help - does my race work?
(14 posts, started )
Is there a set of recomended computer requirements for lfs?
Like on the back of a game you would buy in the shops it has a recomended spec to run the game? ta
There's no official stats for what's required, but LFS is pretty kind on the CPU, unless you have a zillion AI drivers on-screen at once. It doesn't take much RAM or even a new gfx card either.

List your hardware here and we'll let you know if it'll work (or download the demo!).
Quote from Dajmin :List your hardware here and we'll let you know if it'll work (or download the demo!).

As he's S2 licensed and racing at Redline, i don't think he need to try the demo
haha yeah i have s2 mate, im running it off my desktop, but im getting a laptop hopefully and would like lfs to run on it (decently!) i had a topic for this in the general topic section, but this thread was asking if any official specs existed. Im probably going to have around 2gb of ram and hopefully dual core with 1.8 - 2.2 ghz, im not that technical

btw this topic is named wrongly, i edited the whole thing, the first question was about hosting races! HENCE = " help - does my race work? "
Know what GFX card by any chance?

The CPU & RAM will run fine.

My specs are:

1.6ghz Intel Duo Core

1gb ram.

Nvidia GeForce GO7300

LFS runs like a dream on my pc, so I can't foresee any issues on that system.
Bah, I missed the license status but he wasn't online when I posted

Is this so you can pimp it to your friends and get more people playing? Cause that'd be cool

I reckon bare minimum based on my experiences...

1.5Ghz CPU / 512Mb RAM / 128Mb GeForce 5

That CPU would absolutely die with a full field of AIs on-screen though, and I suspect it wouldn't like a cockpit view of a full grid either.
Slightly off-topic, but how hard is it to get gfx cards for laptops? I recently got the Advent 9517 (Dual core 1.5ghz, 2gb ram), and it has an Nvidia GeForce 7150M, which I believe is onboard. But I only get about 5 fps on my own in the blackwood carpark (Haven't unlocked lfs on it yet as theres no point...).

Are there universal gfx cards available, or has anyone seen or heard of a card for this machine? Cheers
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Slightly off-topic, but how hard is it to get gfx cards for laptops? I recently got the Advent 9517 (Dual core 1.5ghz, 2gb ram), and it has an Nvidia GeForce 7150M, which I believe is onboard. But I only get about 5 fps on my own in the blackwood carpark (Haven't unlocked lfs on it yet as theres no point...).

Are there universal gfx cards available, or has anyone seen or heard of a card for this machine? Cheers

I think you might be out of luck. As Laptops aren't like PCs where you can upgrade them by single parts all the time. Really have to buy it as is, and stick with it. But to OP, your laptop should be fine.
Quote from Dajmin :
I reckon bare minimum based on my experiences...

1.5Ghz CPU / 512Mb RAM / 128Mb GeForce 5

That CPU would absolutely die with a full field of AIs on-screen though, and I suspect it wouldn't like a cockpit view of a full grid either.

Ranking CPUs in terms of GHz only doesn't really work any more though.. a 1,5 GHz Pentium M would be far better than a Pentium 4 running at the same frequency (just like a 3,2 GHz Pentium 4 would be absolutely owned by a 2,4 GHz Core2Duo even in applications using only one core)

About the GPUs for laptops: Several companies are working with ways of connecting external GPUs to a laptop. So that you'd have an integrated graphis solution in the PC itself, and then when you got back home you could hook it up to an external graphics solution (kind of like a portable hard drive). I don't know when it's coming out on the market, though, but I know they're working on it.
ha! i said to my mate last week they should make something like that, external bits for laptops such as graphics or RAM and he said i was being ridiculus. can you say which companies are working on it so i can back up my argument (and hopes)
Quote from james_bskt :ha! i said to my mate last week they should make something like that, external bits for laptops such as graphics or RAM and he said i was being ridiculus. can you say which companies are working on it so i can back up my argument (and hopes)

Found it! ASUS has already released one such product, actually: Here's a link. Uses external PCI-E for connection.
Yeah, I maybe should'ev quantified my CPU by specifying Athlon 3200+ or something, but it's been so long since I've paid any attention to brands it'd probably be a waste of time.

That notebook graphic accelerator looks a little pointless to me. It's big, it's clunky and it doesn't exactly look lightweight. It wouldn't fit into any laptop case I've ever seen. so if it's not portable it's a complete waste of time for a laptop.
Why we can't buy and install laptop parts like we can desktops I'll never know. I suspect it has a lot to do with making sure you have to pay for things.
It's not supposed to be something you carry around, though. It's supposed to be like an external hard drive -- you hook it up when you're at home, thus giving you the same graphics performance as a desktop. I think it's a good idea!
But I have a desktop for home, like most people

help - does my race work?
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG