The online racing simulator
Skin Copyright issues
(10 posts, started )
Skin Copyright issues
I found this at RSC and I think it deserves a quote here aswell

Quote from crumbut : Original post: http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=99014

It has been increasingly the hot topic of members accusing members of "ripping" other authors work. We do understand and agree it is wrong for ripping to take place. I think that some people are unclear of what is a rip and what isnt a rip.

Lets clarify:

1.) member Y makes a skin. He builds it in his favorite graphics software and shares it here in the RSC Forums. The next day member X realeases a skin that looks just like it but member X's skin has a diffrent base color. Is it a rip?

2.) member Y makes a skin based on a car he has seen in a movie. he searched the internet and found a decal just like the one in the movie. he pastes it onto his skin and realeases. The next day member X makes a skin based on the same car. Is it a rip??

3.) member Y makes a skin based on his favorite Race Team. member X makes one based on his favorite Race Team which happens to be the same Race Team that member Y made his skin like. The two skins, while both have the same paint scheme and some of the decals are the same (maybe shifted around a bit). Is this a rip?

4.) member Y makes a skin for his XRGT Turbo. realeases then member X alters the skin to fit on a FXO. Is that a rip?

1.) Yes, obviously.
2.) Maybe not, You will have to compair the two skins side by side. You do not hold copyrights on decals that can be found on the internet. If you want to hold a right on a decal, be original and draw it yourself.
3.) No. If two members make a skin based on the same "Real Life Race team" and both authors created their skins without any pixel stealing from eachother then there is no "rip".
4.) Yes, clearly. You must obtain permission before "porting" a skin to another model.

Use common sense. You do not hold any rights on decals or decal placements. Unless they are original decals made by you. Even then if it is a decal that is made to look like a companies logo (and you make it look just like the real ones) then you still hold no rights unless you have altered it in some way that is noticable.

I have personaly been faced with 2 of the above scenerios in the last week that on the surface looked like they were ripped. But if you compair side by side you see that there is no rip.

it would be nice if a Moderator Locked this topic

And lock
bump. anyone gonna sticky or lock this topic? if not just post.
So, Renaming a skin from one car to another without changing the skin is a rip?
Quote from ethan520 :So, Renaming a skin from one car to another without changing the skin is a rip?

Yes. Unless you made the skin in the first place.
has someone told mutt this?
#8 - Rish
Not so much of a bump but more thread recycling .

I'd just like to say that when people put NO EDITING on a skin it means NO EDITING. Not go and stretch and squash the shit out of a skin for one car so it suits another and then ask if its ok. People (i included) spend hours on skins and its not so that someone else can just go and violate it. Please if your even contemplating editing someone elses skin give them a heads up and just see what they think before you start to abuse their work or just simply show some respect and leave them the way they were meant to look!
The link makes a good point, as does your post Rish
Agree with all the posts above mine. Skins are work and the creators like that their work remain unharmed (unless they give permission). I believe that I would also add no skin renaming in the list, since that is part of the skin. It also prevents others with the high res skinfile (including the author) to view their skins correctly.

+1 with the first document.

Skin Copyright issues
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG