The online racing simulator
Your driving style...
(88 posts, started )
if you could drift on entry and grip at exactly the right time for the exit you would be the fastest driver around.
I am a very technical racer. I always brake at one point, take the the corner the same way over and over. I set up my cars with a tendency to understeer, as it is predictable and safe. I care less about winning, and more of reaching the goal intact. I let the hotheads and impatient ones cause chaos at corner one so I can breeze through.

My one flaw which is easy to exploit is that I brake early...I know when I am with good racers when they do not slam me in the backside; it also helps that my current racername is "!!! I BRAKE EARLY !!!".

My sole technique(s) is being able to save the tires by using modulated braking, and getting behind someone and putting pressure on them to make a mistake. Not hit them, but to make them nervous so I shake them out of their groove.
#53 - IDUI
Looking at most kind of racing and LFS the style of the driver seems to not matter much, when it comes to being fast. Some can drive any kind of style, while others stick to a specific one, it's a preference just like setup. Of course, track/car/driver(?) condition as well as the type of corner will call for different ways to deal with it, then again this also depends on what the driver can do.
I think style is really that which makes the driver feel most at home while at the limit.
Quote from IlGuercio :Still there's people who think drift is faster...

NO.I never think drift is faster,and i never drift,but in some corner with some cars,it can help you.
Quote from IDUI :Snip..

I think style is really that which makes the driver feel most at home while at the limit.

Second that.

Think it was one half-retired legend of LFS that once said something along the lines of; If there is 1000 drivers there's just as many different driving styles.
And I'm still agreeing to that.
For road cars and GTR:
Very slight oversteer. I can run faster times with a loose setup. For enduro races I use a more stable balanced setup, so I am slower, but I don't crash

For single seaters:
perfectly balanced, but I suck at single seaters anyway.
#57 - _ak
Quote from Luke.S :I no lol he tried to vote ban me but an admin saw it and kicked him lol.

Have got banned for about 2 hours once because of some crashing jerk.

I have a little bit oversteery set for BL1 and use inner curbs sometimes to generate even more oversteer. But BL set and driving style doesn't work at other tracks so I change my style and sets to neutral.
My style sucks. I can`t get a correct little slide, like those 5 degrees mentioned earlier. Eighter I`m going nice and steady throught a corner, or I fail horrible, and end up beeing sideways and loosing speed.
I got like no technical skills, I`m just giving it all, sometimes it`s paying of, other times - most times I end up flying off track.

To be honest it all depends on how good you are at driving and your responces to the cars changes. For example Drifting just slides you round, kicks the back out and the wheels spin. How can that be faster? Simpley keeping your tyres 'cooler' (at best temp for the tyre) will give you a far better lap time than some 'red' over heated tyres which would be kicking the back out due to drifting.

Drifting for fun.

Racing for purpose.

Matty
#60 - _ak
Quote from The Very End :My style sucks. I can`t get a correct little slide, like those 5 degrees mentioned earlier. Eighter I`m going nice and steady throught a corner, or I fail horrible, and end up beeing sideways and loosing speed.
I got like no technical skills, I`m just giving it all, sometimes it`s paying of, other times - most times I end up flying off track.

How did you get platinum license then?
My driving style?
Ambitious but rubbish.
Far too agressive!

Brake as late as possible
Take as much kerb as possible
Put the power on as early as possible

It works for some combos! (but not many!)

and my tyres go off really quickly
Quote from Luke.S :Belive it or not i took a guy once in a race by drifting the corner. He cut me into the inside line so i put one wheel on the grass and planted my foot to the floor next thing i know i've run out of corner and i'm ahead. So i just ct back into the line which then made him angry lol and he tried to pit me so i slammed on the anchors and he smashed his rb4 into the wall lol.

dont drink and drive
Quote from _ak :How did you get platinum license then?

Farmed? Just racing enough and I reached it, but most wins/fastest laps are just lucky shots
My style all depends on what and where I'm driving.

In the "road" cars, I brake slightly early, and I like the back end to slip out a tiny bit on corner exit.

In the GTR cars, I prefer it to slide as little as possible, slow and smooth around hairpins and nice, smooth gearshifts down to help me into tricky corners. I also seem to use a lot of coasting to get around hairpins, like the ones at AS3.

I'm pants in the single seaters, so I stay away from them
Im tolled i drive kind of agressife
Like i cut over curbs as much as i can

And on south city at some points i clip the wal in the turn
So in real life my dads car would have lost alot of bits

@ The Very End

Lol im having excatly the same i i get points im in sheer luck
Althow im able to catch a slide even catches one in a FO8(although thats luck big time)

Also if someone just infront of me crashes im,likely to follow him
#67 - Osco
mostly (seeking for) grip, although a hint of oversteer every now and then puts a little smile on my face
try driving with even a hint of oversteer in the FZR and you've lost your rear tyres in about . . . . Well, now. Really. Racing is all about getting the power down to convert that power into ultimate speed, you don't get that if your spinning the wheels up, creating smoke and looking out of the side windows to see where you are going.

Sure, in games like NFS and other such nonsense the aim is to capture the most marketable demographic to part with their hard earned pocket money so therefore they are going to make those games bright and shiney and easy to drive in the whatever the latest fashion is . . . . I.E sideways.

Lfs, on the other hand, doesn't panda to popular wrongness and is steadfast and true in it's unbending approach to realism. Which means for us, dear paying punters, it's bloody hard to get anywhere quickly if you prefer a new set of rear tyres every five minutes.

I race with the thoery that grip is good and that if you keep loosing the back end, by however much, then your doing something wrong. Particularily in the GT's and S/S. Everything else is just fun so you can drive them like you want. Although having said that most fast lines in the whatever classes (espiacially the rear wheel drive thingymabobs) do require some power on oversteer to get you exits good and fast, but still not to the extent of 'drifting'.

Drifting is wrong. End of story. Unless you got a few mill in the bank to pay for all the replacement parts.
I'm normally quite conservative, consistent and easy on the tires. Alas, I'm far from the fastest because of it. Also, I never quit to the pits if I can help it. Even if I damage my car, I'll limp back to the pits for repairs to stay on the lead lap if I can. Of course, if I flip, get stuck, or the car is damaged beyond driveability, I don't have a choice.

For example, the other day, I joined a race with 20 other competitors. I hadn't raced the current car/track combo before, so I pulled over at the start to let everyone go by. While a lot of people are crashing and taking each other out, all I did was keep it on the track and finished 5th!
i would try not to get any type of "steer" whatsoever, try to go wide then aim on the inside, but that's only in standard corners. I would drift in hairpins and switchbacks, slowing down enough via the resistance of the tires skidding, but have my right foot hovering over the throttle the whole time.
Quote from Cam71 :
For example, the other day, I joined a race with 20 other competitors. I hadn't raced the current car/track combo before, so I pulled over at the start to let everyone go by. While a lot of people are crashing and taking each other out, all I did was keep it on the track and finished 5th!

Just like me: was in the CTRA1 server, I accidentally took the wrong turn (South city, I went right instead of left, had the wrong layout in my mind), so I had to stop, back up and continue the race from last position.. I finished 3rd
Quote from Cam71 :For example, the other day, I joined a race with 20 other competitors. I hadn't raced the current car/track combo before, so I pulled over at the start to let everyone go by. While a lot of people are crashing and taking each other out, all I did was keep it on the track and finished 5th!

Nothing to get shy about. If you want to finish first, you must first finish!

I had a two-car duel at Westhill Reverse with another drivers who was two or three seconds per lap faster than me. But in the 12 lap race, he spun out like three times, while I had two minor shuffles and finished ahead of him.

Speed is important, but speed without consistency won't get you anywhere but a gravel trap.
Well since i got the game i started drifting with xfg lol !

My driving style is drifting, but i think grip can be alot faster though
I think mostly grip is the fastest way. Like you said, maybe a teeny bit of slip in some cases. For the most part, it's as much traction and power you can transfer to the ground, the faster you will go. In some cases, this is not true, and Rally car racing bares testimony to that fact. However, on closed-circuit, hard-track racing it's pretty all about grip. You don't see F1 cars going sideways around corners, do you?

PS - Your friends play unrealistic arcade games. Drifting is not racing, "drift racing" is silly. Just a glorified burn-out.
when you say "teeny bit of slip" to get past some corners, do you mean to get past corners where the turning ratio can't get you through? i don't think there are tracks like that in LFS...

Your driving style...
(88 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG