The online racing simulator
Improve the Chicanes
(21 posts, started )
Improve the Chicanes
Hi,

i think in live for speed there are not enough race car suitable chicanes and when there is one, you can get through with near full throttle...

now my three cents to the four chicanes i think should be remade...:

the fern bay chicanes: they are too fast i think, both chicanes should be made a bit "longer" that more breaking is needed

westhill: the westhill chicane is a full throttle orgy, so i think the turns on this part of the track should be sharper (and much slower).

last thing is the kyoto gp long chicane off the oval... should be much "longer"... this is the only thing on this track i hate, cause this chicane has no sense (in most cars only one gear down and hope to get through)

what do you think about the chicanes in lfs? i think they can be made a bit more interesting and slower to drive through

sry about my english, i am very tired
Good suggest
I want that
Westhill chicane is good, you can`t go full trottle at it. But I`ll agree that Fern Bay and KY tracks have chicanes that should be made better, forcing drivers to go slower.
Quote from The Very End :Westhill chicane is good, you can`t go full trottle at it. But I`ll agree that Fern Bay and KY tracks have chicanes that should be made better, forcing drivers to go slower.

Depends on what you call the Westhill chicane. There is the tire chicane with the wall of tires to prevent cutting which can easily be taken a gear or 2 down and full throttle. That chicane has a sharp turn into it, thus you are braking and downshifting for that turn specifically, then going full throttle accelerating through the chicane.

The 2nd chicane, whic is more an S turn than a chicane (after the tire chicane) you have to ease through. But I don't consider this really a chicane. More of an S turn like I said.

There has already been a huge discussion on chicanes in LFS around a year ago. This original post's thoughts have already been addressed by the community exactly back then.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Umm...

Umm... Umm... Im like, hes right ,Mr. End is right ! you cant go full on , Unless u have a tank. but then u cant win.
Quote from Dennis93 :Umm... Umm... Im like, hes right ,Mr. End is right ! you cant go full on , Unless u have a tank. but then u cant win.

Read my post. The true (LFS style) chicane at Westhill, you brake for the turn before the chicane, then blast your way through, every time. There's only one chicane at Westhill, but some may consider the combo after the chicane as a chicane as well.
Good suggestion better then mine at this moment anyway Think this should become real :O
+1

only the kyoto national chicane i love so don't you dare to touch it!!!:slap:

i also think that there has to be some extra curbstones at the exit of some corners. now if you miss the exit a little you end up into the wall most of the times. Westhill at the end of chicane, Fern bay gold after the sweeping corners before going tight onto the bridge, fern bay after the chicane ( both sides ), and some other places. it is a racing simulation so make the enviorment/tracks a little more racy

curb stones in the corner exit like on this photograph!
...And look how much good they did

Sam
Shouldn't some of the FE kerbs be reduced too? In a XFR or UFR, just a few inches too far into the inside results in a roof-full of gravel...IRL I'd doubt they'd be that dangerous...
Quote from henrico-20- :+1

curb stones in the corner exit like on this photograph!

Hey I remember that..the McLaren onboard computer went crazy right after that and he had to retire even though he catched the slide.

On topic : Isn't it more the driver behavior that causes the chicanes to be unrealistic ? Take any chicane in LFS and ask yourself would I ride this thing that hard in real life even though it might be quicker. Probably not. Risk of damage/loss of control is way too high.
#14 - _ak
the fern bay chicanes should be left the way they are, the koyoto chaicane made slower or faster and westhill better stays westhill.
I've never raced for real, on a real track, in a real car. But, I'd like to hear from others whom have about driving through a chicane (Tristan?) I would think that even in real racing, they are accelerating through a chicane. It comes down to entering the chicane under throttle or very little easing off or hard braking and downshifting.

Fern Bay Green front stretch, you brake FOR the chicane. Thus, the chicane works for what it is for. You brake, downshift a couple of gears, and accelerate. Edit - I'm thinking of CTRA I guess, haven't raced this for a VERY long time without the barriers being in the way. Normal stock config IIRC, there is no braking or very little lift of the throttle.

FE Green 2nd chicane (coming up the hill in the back). No braking or changing of speed for this at all, in normal or reverse config. Full throttle either way.

FE Club/Gold/Black first chicane. Another one that is pretty much full throttle. Also, very easy to cut.

Westhill chicane (with the wall of tires). You are not braking FOR the chicane, but for the turn BEFORE the chicane. You brake and downshift for the turn, you turn, and accelerate through the chicane. Remove the chicane and put a straight section in it's place and you change absolutely nothing about how the circuit is driven.

Blackwood forwards config chicane. You brake for TURN 1. The chicane is taken full throttle accelerating after T1. Remove the chicane and nothing changes.

Blackwood reverse config, the chicane works as a chicane. You are actually braking specifically for the chicane. The problem here is, it is too close to the final turn, thus you would be braking soon anyways and it is useless as a chicane.

Kyoto GP chicane coming off the oval. This one is a pretty big problem. The main problem is that it is very easy to cut, thus taking it with very little braking and only downshifting one gear. I personally don't cut it and slow down about 10-15 mph more than most and downshift 2 gears. Even then, I'm still not slowing down much.

......oops, gotta go work. There are others I'm sure, but 95% of them do not do what a chicane is suppose to do, which is slow down the cars (other than slightly slowing in LFS).
Quote from PhilS13 :
On topic : Isn't it more the driver behavior that causes the chicanes to be unrealistic ? Take any chicane in LFS and ask yourself would I ride this thing that hard in real life even though it might be quicker. Probably not. Risk of damage/loss of control is way too high.

yes it also drivers behavior but.. in racing you do everything to get 0.1 second faster, so.. if that means to go grazy at the chicane you will do that and find the edge . if you need to go a little into the grass to created more exit speed you will do that.
#18 - _ak
Quote from mrodgers :
Westhill chicane (with the wall of tires). You are not braking FOR the chicane, but for the turn BEFORE the chicane. You brake and downshift for the turn, you turn, and accelerate through the chicane. Remove the chicane and put a straight section in it's place and you change absolutely nothing about how the circuit is driven.

Only if you know you could do that

Quote from mrodgers :
Blackwood forwards config chicane. You brake for TURN 1. The chicane is taken full throttle accelerating after T1. Remove the chicane and nothing changes.

Disagree. People spin quite often there. It adds spice and affects 1st split time a lot.
#19 - Osco
+1 for decent chicanes that requires actual hard braking for them (that's what they're for)

the FE chicanes are about as high as the last chicane at magny cours, wich is taken quite hard throughout the race, so don't lower them for the sake of realism. They just suit the track.
Drove the FE Green CTRA config the other night for the first time, and I have to say their chicane solution is brilliant. Would love to see that brought into the actual game.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Drove the FE Green CTRA config the other night for the first time, and I have to say their chicane solution is brilliant. Would love to see that brought into the actual game.

I agree, but usually get shouted down by "it sucks!" whenever I say so in-game.

The track is more challenging and overtaking is much improved because of it. You have to be quite precise to pass cleanly, but that's a good thing. "It causes more wrecks" isn't a good reason to remove it IMO; that's evidence of driver skill problems, not the track itself. And I'm not even sure it does cause fewer wrecks, considering how easy it is to flip cars on the high curbs of the normal version. CTRA's version pretty much eliminates rolling over on the curbs there.

Improve the Chicanes
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG