The online racing simulator
Quote from tristancliffe :Which shows how little they must understand... I they NEVER deviate from the shift light point, then put the limiter 250rpm higher to protect against pointless over-revs that will only hurt an engine rather than producing more wheel effort.

Here. here. In Ayrton Senna's driving principle's book. (The only book that he co wrote) he goes into great detail about how a rev limiter should be used just above the optimum shift point and without it, it would have the engineers cringing in the pit lane waiting for the sound of a huge engine failure!!! A rev limiter shouldn't weigh anything as its usually in the ECU code & mapping. Each to their own I guess but I'm pretty sure 99 out of 100 race drivers would agree that a rev limiter is crucial. You say they toughen up the engines in drifting which is fair enough as I'm guessing they are pretty highly tuned but EVERY engine no matter what state of tune it's in still has an optimum shift point and a point where a limiter should be put so as to not destroy the engine by deliberate or accidental damage by over revving.
Do you have Senna's book? I can't find a copy, and I want one. Fancy selling?
Quote from tristancliffe :Do you have Senna's book? I can't find a copy, and I want one. Fancy selling?

Sorry, think I'm going to keep hold of this one. I only just bought it before xmas and it cost me £120. Was an ebay job. I havn't read it all yet but with my first ever race a few weeks away I need to hurry up and finish it. I need all the help I can get I'm very anxious......any tips?
Damn! But I can't really afford £120 either, so...

A few tips.

1. Do NOT compare yourself to anyone else on the race track for your first meeting. You will be slow, and you will feel out of your depth. The ARDS test and track days are NOT preparation to a competition environment.

2. Take your time. Most club races are about 15 minutes per session. You have to do three laps to be allowed to race, and your times don't matter. Use the time wisely - take a few laps to bed brakes and tyres in. Spend a further couple of laps getting basic markers for braking and turning, and LOOK at the track surface for cambers, irregularities and kerbs. Only then think about going a bit quicker.

3. Take all the advice you can - ALL of it is worthwhile listening to and digesting. But don't take everything at face value - some of the advice will help, but for the wrong reasons - the giver might not even know why something works, and knowing why is way more helpful than just knowing.

4. Stick to your lines, and don't do sudden stuff - if people are behind you in practice they will find a way passed. If they are behind you in a race then don't think about racing too much yet. If you are having to pass slower cars (in a lower class), whilst being passed, then you'll have a lot more pressure, but the big yellow novice cross is to help people behind - people ARE considerate.

5. You will learn far more in 15 minutes than any great setup tweak, so do not adjust the car at all (unless it is really dangerous not to!). That way you will have the same car in the car that you did in practice, and you can continue learning the car/track, rather than a new variable change. Setup changes are something to save in the future when you've got a bit more experience (at least two races really, but it does depend how much track driving you've done).

6. Enjoy it. It's expensive. It's time consuming. None on the grid are good drivers (otherwise they wouldn't be in club racing!), and the whole point of going club racing is to enjoy yourself, experience some thrills and have something to chat about in the pub - so make sure you come away with a smile. You will have a much bigger smile having lost a place on the last lap through inexperience than you will with a heavily damaged car, a cross rival driver shouting at you, and the cost/time/issues of repairing it (let alone chatting to the CotC). So back out of everything you feel even remotely intimidated by.
#30 - Woz
Quote from NanG :in drifting they usually toughen the engine up too a large degree and the rev limiters are set higher - mad mikes probably one of the highest rev limits set in drifting with his triple rotor 10,000 rpm.

The engines in LFS are NOT designed to operate as you want, they are configured for race setups.

There is NO engine tuning in LFS to allow the engines to deal with what you ask. You yourself have agreed there is NO engine tuning.

WHY do you keep asking for it.

BTW: You do realise you ARE asking for engine tuning in an indirect way dont you by wanting what you ask for.

Quote from NanG : i know a couple of guys who have race cars (1984 FB rx-7 and an r32 gtr) they have removed the rev limiter because they dont see the point of having it any more, there shift light is set too the optimum change and they never devert from it unless doing a massive burn out. the rev limiter for them they see as a waste of space

Good for them. When the have to rebuild their engines you can laugh at their costly mistake
normally on a factory car.. the rev limiter is 500-1000 RPM Past the red line....

It really ticks me to have the new limiters right AT the red line...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG