The online racing simulator
#1 - NanG
rev limiter on/off or adjustable
i would like too be able too turn off the rev limiter or at least make it fully adjustable (so it seems like it is off) i think the adjustable rev limiter is the better option so that it pleases all sides off the fence. (racers long distance and short distance, drags and driters)

i find the current rev limiter has gone way too low, if you can tune the car too keep power after the redline but your car cant go over the redline because of the limiter is quite annoying
Unless the engine builder has stated the engine can't withstand higher revs. And as most of the engines develop more torque in the next gear before the existing limiter the engines tuning is correct - it's not over or under limited.

Just revving more will make you slower.
#3 - ajp71
Quote from NanG :
i find the current rev limiter has gone way too low, if you can tune the car too keep power after the redline but your car cant go over the redline because of the limiter is quite annoying

You cannot tune the engine to produce more power at higher revs, in fact you cannot tune the engine at all so your argument makes no sense. If you're hitting the rev limiter in any of the road car you're doing something very wrong, there's no need to rev up there.
#4 - NanG
i still think the current rev limiter on all the lower cars is unrealistic and annoying. i do racing and drifting a lot on LFS (and real life) and when i get sick of that i do a burn out

i love the new physics and mechanics of Patch Y but the rev limiter ruins drifting in my opinion, ok so you dont have more power but tuning the car right you can keep the power in drifting after the red line. with the new patch you cant keep that higher end power because the car cant get too the higher revs.

i also find it unrealistic with the current rev limiters and the lack of ability too change where the limit is. most race cars (i know a lot of real life race car drivers) dont even bother putting one in their car, they find it more annoying than helpful. i can understand the high end full race set up cars being limited but the lower end cars shouldnt be, or allow people too change the limiter too their desire.
Ok, name me some road cars that have adjustable (from stock by an end user easily) limiters?

Done trying?
#6 - Woz
Quote from NanG :i still think the current rev limiter on all the lower cars is unrealistic and annoying. i do racing and drifting a lot on LFS (and real life) and when i get sick of that i do a burn out

i love the new physics and mechanics of Patch Y but the rev limiter ruins drifting in my opinion, ok so you dont have more power but tuning the car right you can keep the power in drifting after the red line. with the new patch you cant keep that higher end power because the car cant get too the higher revs.

i also find it unrealistic with the current rev limiters and the lack of ability too change where the limit is. most race cars (i know a lot of real life race car drivers) dont even bother putting one in their car, they find it more annoying than helpful. i can understand the high end full race set up cars being limited but the lower end cars shouldnt be, or allow people too change the limiter too their desire.

Change your GEARING not the rev limiter. Who cares if you can allow revs into the redline, its POINTLESS unless you want to damage your engine.

If you bounce your car off the rev limiter IRL remind me NEVER EVER to buy a car from you lol

I get the feeling you think the engines should be able to rev as high as they could Pre Y, tough they are more realistic now. That is ALL that matters

Actually no, let these people change the rev limiter but make the engine damage more agressive. I buggered the engine on a Saab when i bounced it off the rev limiter by mistake.
#7 - NanG
i have done drifting myself in my RX7 (rotary bit different) and have gone well past my redline while drifting around corners with no damage too my engine, but many of the drifters where i live use piston engines, sure they do blow every now and again, but most of them go for a year with no major rehaul or just minor problems. i think the ammount of damage done by over reving is not quite as bad as most people think, if the engine has been designed, set up and maintained properly. all drift cars will be going over red line quite a lot some need more maintenance than others, it depends on how tough the engine is

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Ok, name me some road cars that have adjustable (from stock by an end user easily) limiters?
Done trying?

its only newer cars that have rev limiters and personally i wouldnt buy a car with them. im sure its not easy too adjust but it is usually easy too remove them (buy a new ECU pay for a tune done)
#8 - Woz
Quote from NanG :i have done drifting myself in my RX7 (rotary bit different) and have gone well past my redline while drifting around corners with no damage too my engine

Where is the rotary we have in LFS then?

Quote from NanG :but many of the drifters where i live use piston engines, sure they do blow every now and again

Hmm, so you agree that going past redline does damage the engine and will completly blow it, something that take HUGE effect in LFS.

The patch X engines had far too high redline, not many actually dispute that. They have been made more realistic in that respect now the redline is lower.

BTW, you can't tune your engine in LFS to allow it to rev into the redline so I ask again...

What is the POINT of allowing the engine into the redline when you can't tune it to allow it to cope with those revs? BTW, peak power is BELOW the redline. This should be interesting to say the least
Quote from NanG :
its only newer cars that have rev limiters and personally i wouldnt buy a car with them. im sure its not easy too adjust but it is usually easy too remove them (buy a new ECU pay for a tune done)

There you are wrong. Cars have been having rev limiters the last 20 years. I dont understand where you wanna come. Don't come and tell me those cars in game should not have a rev limiter couse if you wanna drive on 11k revs and still accel as fast as on 5k rev go to NFS or something. A car hase a torque-curve, that means it have a peak when it has most power then it goes down. Mostly 4,5-5k revs on the most stock cars. Therefore you have lost so much power at the rev limiter that its pointless being there. As soon as you know where the peak is you should gear-up just after it. And if you rev at the rev limiter on your RX-7 then bad for you when you are in the middle of a corner locking your tires since your motor just been totaled.
Keep your redlining to lfs, their isn't a reset for your rx7
#11 - NanG
no rotary in LFS wish there was but thats a different topic and like lemans people would probably whinge untill it was removed

i said they blow up now and again but not all of them if they are set up and maintained right, they are usually the beginers cars that blow - and occasionally something goes wrong and the car runs lean or missfires these are occasional problems any motorsport driver faces. most will run no problems doing drift comps all day and not have any problems. any car can have problems and blow the engine - especially in Aus on 38-40 degree celcius (100+ fahrenheit) most them run fine all day even with those temps. so yea i dont think engine damage is as bad as you think. some engines have lasted seasons with out any major work done too them, that is my point about engine damage.

you cant tune it to keep pumping power in redline that was a miswording on my part. but the way you set up the gears allows you too keep power in the redline to continue the longer drifts (the long corner on Aston Cadet reverse after the S bend) in the old one the power would remain and you could continue the drift all the way through, in the current one you run out of power before you get too the end of the corner, i can still do it but it doesnt feel as good as it did before and the lack of removing the rev limiter is frustrating.

in patch X it was too high but now its way too low

i wish there was a rotary powered car in LFS but thats a different topic
#12 - NanG
Quote from dennisgtr32 :Don't come and tell me those cars in game should not have a rev limiter couse if you wanna drive on 11k revs and still accel as fast as on 5k rev go to NFS or something. A car hase a torque-curve, that means it have a peak when it has most power then it goes down. Mostly 4,5-5k revs on the most stock cars. Therefore you have lost so much power at the rev limiter that its pointless being there. As soon as you know where the peak is you should gear-up just after it. And if you rev at the rev limiter on your RX-7 then bad for you when you are in the middle of a corner locking your tires since your motor just been totaled.

im not talking about accelerating at 11k revs im talking about being able too keep power at 7-8k. lol reving at 7-9k revs while going around a corner locking is called drifting my friend and no my engine is still fine. you need those high revs too keep long drifts

i have done 9k revs in my rx7 with out problems many times, engine is still sweet but rotaries are better than pistons.
#13 - Woz
Quote from NanG :in patch X it was too high but now its way too low

In X is was too high but now it is about RIGHT!

THERE IS NO ENGINE TUNING IN LFS. STOP PRETENDING THERE IS.

You can't tune your engine in LFS to allow higher revs.

LIVE WITH IT!!!!
#14 - NanG
Quote from Woz :In X is was too high but now it is about RIGHT!

THERE IS NO ENGINE TUNING IN LFS. STOP PRETENDING THERE IS.

You can't tune your engine in LFS to allow higher revs.

LIVE WITH IT!!!!

im not talking about engine tuning but power could be kept in those higher rev ranges, but the current rev limiter instantly drops your revs down too the rev limit. the current rev limit is too low. i have never been in a car that has a rev limit 1 bar after the redline (FC and FD rx7s, skylines, silvias, supras) i have seen all these cars doing 7-8k revs around corners with out blowing their engines after a full day of drifting at external temps of 38 celcius in the shade they are in the sun
Quote from NanG :im not talking about accelerating at 11k revs im talking about being able too keep power at 7-8k. lol reving at 7-9k revs while going around a corner locking is called drifting my friend and no my engine is still fine. you need those high revs too keep long drifts

i have done 9k revs in my rx7 with out problems many times, engine is still sweet but rotaries are better than pistons.

First, When your car break down in a corner couse you overrev, is that is drift then you should read on a little bit about drifting. A good drifters dont need to rev at the rev limiter to hold a long drift. And if you need you have problems with your car. Your car has it power curve in a way so you should be able to keep it at the peak of that curv to hold your car. And i doubt the peak is at the rev limiter.

Secound, Why is a rotary better when they have a bad rep for maintence every 1000mile? Is it better to tur up your wallet every third month to get a full maintence over the car?

Third, LFS aint made for drifting, ppl drift in it but its a racing game. Its made to be equal in races. Being able to tune the stock car races would imp mean a very unbalanced game. So live with it that you cant tune the car. Also the rev limiter is low on most cars, but so is their power. Tell me one car in lfs that has over 400bhp except the open-wheelers.
#16 - NanG
my parents 2006 stock toyota corolla can rev higher than the XRT Turbo now that is pathetic in my opinion

second rotaries have been smeered by piston based companies, everyone thinks they are a lot more unreliable than they actually are. my car is 18 years old and i get it serviced every 10,000kms and it costs no more than a normal car to service. it runs smooth as and its very fast

third sure its not made for drifting but it shouldnt go out too ruin it considering half the reason i bought it is because its such a good game too drift on, i like racing too and i dont see why people need such a low rev limit, just learn too change your gears properly

fourth real life drift cars are able too adjust everything in their car too make drifting easier to maintain
Quote from NanG :my parents 2006 stock toyota corolla can rev higher than the XRT Turbo now that is pathetic in my opinion

Their 2006 stock corolla is newer than the XRT. The XRT is build in game to be a early 90's car. There is also not mentioned that your car break down just becouse you rev high, but you lower your engines lifetime with years every time you rev over the actual revlimiter. The rev limiter is there on cars to tell you that its is enough. They are there to save your engine a few years of living.

what is pathetic is that you trying to do a nfs of lfs... -,-'
#18 - NanG
Quote from dennisgtr32 :Their 2006 stock corolla is newer than the XRT. The XRT is build in game to be a early 90's car. There is also not mentioned that your car break down just becouse you rev high, but you lower your engines lifetime with years every time you rev over the actual revlimiter. The rev limiter is there on cars to tell you that its is enough. They are there to save your engine a few years of living.

what is pathetic is that you trying to do a nfs of lfs... -,-'

i dont want LFS too be arcade or unrealistic at all, i want it too be more realistic. i have never been in a race car or performance road car (from that era) thats rev limiter is set as low as the one in LFS.

i would like too see LFS with everything being adjustable one day, but for now an adjustable rev limiter would keep everyone happy
"A Rev limiter is a device fitted to an internal combustion engine to restrict its maximum rotational speed. This is usually carried out to prevent damage to the engine, however sometimes these devices are fitted to prevent an engine reaching the point at which it develops maximum power. This may be useful in a driving school car or similar, or utilised in systems preventing Valet parking operatives from joy-riding in high performance vehicles placed in their charge. When fitted to racing or modified street cars these adjustable devices provide more precise control than the original components built in by the manufacturer. Limiters can be used in conjunction with a shift light, which illuminates when the desired RPM is reached, indicating to the driver that a gear change is required. This allows the driver to keep his eye on the road and not have to glance repeatedly at the tachometer to monitor the engine speed."

Taken from wikipedia.

"Overspeed is a condition in which an engine is allowed or forced to turn beyond its design limit. The consequences of running an engine too fast varies by engine type and model and depends upon several factors, chief amongst them the duration of the overspeed and by the speed attained. With some engines even a momentary overspeed can result in greatly reduced engine life or even catastrophic engine failure. The speed of an engine is ordinarily measured in revolutions per minute (RPM)."

Taken also from wikipedia.

See my point?

My point is that older cars have less revs since they are not built for it. I dont know what cars you have ben driven but most cars have a tachometer to about 8k rpm. But they have the rev limiter at 6,5-7k rpm. And that is what lfs have to. But they havent changed the tachometer to the rev limit yet. Also you should never rev the engine on red anyways as a driver so.

I dont know how you prefer that 9k rev limit is real... but read on befor you try to tell ppl it is more real that way.
#20 - NanG
if you want too talk about realism have you ever been in a real life race car? i have been in a lot of different types of cars some mildly moded others fully moded and none of them are limited that low

wikkepedia is generally unrealiable and untrustworthy but i know all about rev limiters. race cars have shift lights so that they know the best time too change for a proffesional this makes the rev limiter obsolete and a waste of weight (every gram helps)
Quote from NanG :if you want too talk about realism have you ever been in a real life race car? i have been in a lot of different types of cars some mildly moded others fully moded and none of them are limited that low

wikkepedia is generally unrealiable and untrustworthy but i know all about rev limiters. race cars have shift lights so that they know the best time too change for a proffesional this makes the rev limiter obsolete and a waste of weight (every gram helps)

I probobly been more close to cars than you. The thing is that a stock car as it is in this game has both low HP and low Torque. When they have that they dont have the power on the 7000rpm they have it on 4500-5000 rpm. And since you cant understand about the torque curv and that you never need to be up there since the car have lost power on the way there.

Then if you know ALL about rev limiters why do you over rev your own car? About thrustworthy, how do you know anything is thrustworthy on internet?

Imo i think you are a B12 that think that you can drift your dads stationwagon just becouse you can drift in lfs. -,-'
#22 - NanG
mad mikes RX-7 from the NZ Drift series revs his engine constantly at around 10,000 RPM he has had the same engine with no troubles or major work for over a year now. so dont say that drifters dont use the high RPM, you can hear how much they are reving it.

i dont drift much in LFS since the patch and getting my car back from being tuned. i have my own car that i do circuit racing and drifting in so u can think what ever you want but its bs and you dont know anything about me so keep your bs too yourself.
i know what you are saying NanG. Before in LFS you could drift for ages because the engine would keep revving and keep the wheels spinning at very high rps's but now it's different. When the wheels spin too much and the engine speed increases it hits the cars limiter and stops the wheels and engine from accelerating anymore and so making the drift a lot harder to maintain. Yes it makes it harder to drift but I think it's more realistic. In real life most cars have limiters and if you are drifting them you will have to account for this too. I have been watching motorsport for over 15years and I can't remember ever seeing a race car without a limiter. I also have my National B race licence and I would hate to have a race car without a limiter. It's there for a reason to stop your engine from destroying itself. Car's have maximum power at a certain rpm and usually drop-off very quickly. On a lot of Honda's at 7800rpm bhp is 170 but at 8800rpm its about 135bhp and so its much much better to change gear and use the torque or change your gear ratios. I don't know much about drifting but I can't see a reason for taking a limiter off a car and rev it past what it was safely designed to do and get less power than if you just change gear. Please elaborate....as I'd love to know why anyone would do that?
#24 - NanG
in drifting they usually toughen the engine up too a large degree and the rev limiters are set higher - mad mikes probably one of the highest rev limits set in drifting with his triple rotor 10,000 rpm.

i know a couple of guys who have race cars (1984 FB rx-7 and an r32 gtr) they have removed the rev limiter because they dont see the point of having it any more, there shift light is set too the optimum change and they never devert from it unless doing a massive burn out. the rev limiter for them they see as a waste of space
Which shows how little they must understand... I they NEVER deviate from the shift light point, then put the limiter 250rpm higher to protect against pointless over-revs that will only hurt an engine rather than producing more wheel effort.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG