The online racing simulator
Using avatars on my site
Dunno if this is the right place:

How can I use LFS forum avatars on my site...ie: I'd like to have the avatar uploaded here show on my site as well, kinda like the isonline.gif

OR same question using the LFSworld avatar?
If you mean your personal avatar, just right-click on it and go to properties. Look for image location. You can copy this and then use that as the address to your avatar...

But once you change your avatar your old one is lost, and you have to repeat the process...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :If you mean your personal avatar, just right-click on it and go to properties. Look for image location. You can copy this and then use that as the address to your avatar...

But once you change your avatar your old one is lost, and you have to repeat the process...

However, that is hotlinking, and I don't think Victor wants to have people doing that.

Besides, the avatar URL will change each time he uploads a new one, because the URL is unique each time. I don't see why he can't upload the avatar himself on the other forum, or on Imageshack (using the direct-link URL after you upload) for example. All very easy.
yeah of course but what i was thinking was that either LFSworld or LFSforum could be the "master" location for player avatars and then, similar to player stats, if someone updates their avatar in one place it updates at World and any team website
Whats the problem with hotlinking? I mean, how much bandwidth does an avatar use?
#6 - Ian.H
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Whats the problem with hotlinking? I mean, how much bandwidth does an avatar use?

Depends.. 1 avatar, maybe not much.. think if 100 sites had 1000 members all hotlinking to avatars.. or perhaps, 1 avatar that was on a page that was receiving 500,000 hits per hour (think of the "slashdot effect" etc).

Regards,

Ian
True, I'm used to servers which take no more than 1000 hits an hour lmao
#8 - Ian.H
Quote from dougie-lampkin :True, I'm used to servers which take no more than 1000 hits an hour lmao

My server doesn't get that much traffic either (I also don't have to worry about bandwidth costs), but someone had hotlinked to a large image I had posted some time ago and it was all but dragging my server to a crawl.. not so much in the bandwidth sense, but resources also as the hotlinking was receiving probably as much traffic in a day as I was in a week

I only dealt with small servers too, but just taken a job as a developer / FreeBSD admin where we're accepting 1.5mil mails a day and spamhaus alone hooked up to the servers are rejecting on average 6mil spam attempts daily! Quite a difference and quite fun too

Regards,

Ian
Yes, it's not so much costs I worry about (the bandwidth provision I have may as well be unlimited!), but the amount of bandwidth it consumes, slowing down the entire site...anyway, it was just a thought...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG