The online racing simulator
Tire wear (non-racing)
(10 posts, started )
Tire wear (non-racing)
Sometimes I just don't understand why people can have their tires last much longer than I do given that he/she does the same type of driving. May be strictly speaking I'm a bit more spirited in terms of driving style. I do mostly freeway driving. When the tires have 3/32" left, they're considered worn since water can't leave the tire efficiently (My area rains a lot during winter).

Some of you may be familiar with the UTQG treadwear rating. It's a rating that gives you an idea how long tires will last under controlled conditions. 100 means it'll last as long as the standard. A tire can be rated under 100 if you use really sticky tires. A rating of 270-300 is pretty common for all-season tires and can be found on summer tires that's not super sticky. Some passenger tires can have a rating of 700 (you probably don't want to get this kind). The OE tire, which has a rating of 300, wear poorly that they're basically gone after 15000 miles. So I switched to some Michelins that is rated at 400. They last me about 33000 miles over the course of approximately 15 months, which means I go through tires almost once per year.

The question: Is it really my problem? One of my relatives claims she got about 65000+ miles on the OE tire (rating is 300). Given that we both have the same car and alignment settings are within specs, why I'm going through more tires? My car is at 88000 miles now, changed the shocks/struts at low 70000 miles. No signs of abnormal tire wear such as cupping
#2 - samjh
Depends on the drive type, tyre pressures, the tyres compound, and whether your driving is ... suitable.

For example, front tyres in front-wheel drive cars will obviously wear out quickly. Wear is more even in rear-wheel drive cars.

Incorrect tyre pressures can cause sections of a tyre to wear out prematurely. Over-inflation causes the middle of the tyre surface to wear faster, under-inflation causes the edges of the surface to wear faster.

Tyres that last longer are typically made from harder compounds than those that wear faster. Choice of tyre compound affects traction in wet and dry.

Finally, is your driving really the same as the person you're comparing with? Are you a smooth driver? Do you accelerate, brake, and steer a lot... perhaps more than the other driver? Do you allow your suspension to settle when turning and between alternating turns? Do you make correct use of throttle to balance the car? Do you brake and turn simultaneously (braking and steering should ideally be done separately)? Do you steer in one positive motion, or do you adjust your steering throughout a turn (one positive motion is best)? Are your gear shifts smooth?

I drive on Pirelli P6000. Very average tyres. They have lasted me two years, and my front tyres are due for replacement (car is front-wheel drive), but the back ones are still good.

Tyre aging: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/ ... id=138&currentpage=51
Quote from samjh :(...) Generally, a set of tyres should not be driven for more than two years or more than 50,000km (31,200miles), whichever comes first. Even if the treads are OK, old tyres form a layer of very hard compound on the outer surface which adversely affect grip.

Two years?! That's ridiculous. Modern tyres should be fine for up to 8 years and whether you need to replace them before that should be determined by how much tread is left.
My motorcycle tires (hybrid/dual-sport, front rear) have a little over 6000 miles on them. It's a 2003 model and they're the tires that came on the bike. Can't say I've really had a problem with them and I do all my riding on the street. I did wash out the front once in 2005 but I was at an extreme lean angle for both the bike and tires (10 inches of ground clearance when the bike is standing alone, I scraped the peg immediately before I went down).

I'd say the tread blocks are about half to 1/3rd of the size you see in those pics (1/2 - 2/3rds worn), at least on the rear tire.
#5 - samjh
Quote from Linsen :Two years?! That's ridiculous. Modern tyres should be fine for up to 8 years and whether you need to replace them before that should be determined by how much tread is left.

I've replaced that bit of my post with link to better information. I blame aging!
how does the wear look like, most on one of the sides or just allround?

because if its more worn on one of the sides, u should get the tracking (dunno if its the right english word, toe settings) checked
Quote from Linsen :Two years?! That's ridiculous. Modern tyres should be fine for up to 8 years and whether you need to replace them before that should be determined by how much tread is left.

Shelf life for a tire is 6 years. Safe usage life is about 3, assuming you use the car every day. And just going by tread depth is a bad idea.

UTQG = Crap.

I deal with tires every day, I'll tell you the simple truth.

No tire wears the same, no tire is round, and no road is perfect.

Much of it has been mentioned by other people already.

Proper pressure, what you car actually calls for, and frequent checks on it, rotations every 4-6k miles, no alignment, suspension or bushing wear, will get you what the manufacturer rates them for, not the government.

(I use the government rating to sell tire to make money from people who dont know any better.)

If the roads are rough where you live, and it rains a lot, and there salt or sand always in the water, your tires will never last as long as they are rated for ever.
Quote from MattxMosh :Shelf life for a tire is 6 years. Safe usage life is about 3, assuming you use the car every day.

Says who? Did you read the TireRack-Link? (a site which sells tyres and is thus not particularly suspect of handing out overly daring recommendations regarding tyre-use):

"Our experience has been that when properly cared for, most street tires have a useful life of between six to ten years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle."

This is congruent with the information I have from the german automobile club ADAC.

Quote from MattxMosh :And just going by tread depth is a bad idea.

Never said you should just go by tread depth. As stated above: whether the tyre should be replaced before those 8 (or 6-10 years) should be determined by tread depth.

Edit: And, btw, a seldomly used tyre, afaik, ages faster than a tyre used daily. Not 100% on that, though, but it's also implied on the TireRack site.
Quote from Linsen :Says who? Did you read the TireRack-Link? (a site which sells tyres and is thus not particularly suspect of handing out overly daring recommendations regarding tyre-use):

"Our experience has been that when properly cared for, most street tires have a useful life of between six to ten years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle."

This is congruent with the information I have from the german automobile club ADAC.

Never said you should just go by tread depth. As stated above: whether the tyre should be replaced before those 8 (or 6-10 years) should be determined by tread depth.

Edit: And, btw, a seldomly used tyre, afaik, ages faster than a tyre used daily. Not 100% on that, though, but it's also implied on the TireRack site.

I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk, but rereading it sort of sounded that way.

I'm going on personal experience, I've been working for the same tire company for about 8 years now, and for the most part, at least in my area, 3 years is about average lifespan.

Maybe its just idiot drivers in my area, also in which the roads are god awful.

It mostly comes to storage, and whether or not a tire is on a car, off a cr and what environment its in, but you are right, a tire that doesnt roll for a while will age quick and get ruined. Humid, above average heat/cold etc really take a toll on rubber.

When it comes to tirerack, I know they know what they are doing. We do quite a bit of business with them, all their sales people are very knowledgeable and I recommend that site to many customers for articles and ratings on tires.
Quote from MattxMosh :I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk, but rereading it sort of sounded that way.

No harm done. My reply did come across a little defensive, I must admit.

Tire wear (non-racing)
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG