The online racing simulator
Dash mounted gear indicator in Gtr cars ?
A real GTR interior (posted many a times), would be really nice to have too

But we don't have that yet.
How can you NOT see the gear indicator?

Are you blind?
If i were blind i dought i would be able to type never mind play lfs, Well i cant see it dont know if you can but heres some shots of it i looks like to me it isnt a problem in the ufr of xfr but as you can see all or some of the gear indicator are cut of by the wheel in the shots.
Attached images
lfs_00000071.jpg
lfs_00000072.jpg
lfs_00000073.jpg
You drive with KB or mouse.
Is the virtual steering gauge an option anymore?
Isn't that kind of going .... against the purpose March Hare?
no i drive with a G25 i think it is still a option why ?
Quote from March Hare :You drive with KB or mouse.
Is the virtual steering gauge an option anymore?

Whats the point of a virtural steering guage when he is opting for more realism?

A +1 from me, but I'd be quite sure it will be released with the new cockpits
-
(ussbeethoven) DELETED by ussbeethoven
Once again I remind you that the interiors are coming already (hopefully finally in the next patch). So discussing what should be done to them is a bit pointless at this point since we don't know what is already coming and what has been already finalized.
Quote from dj-fluxsa :no i drive with a G25 i think it is still a option why ?

erm...
If you drive with a wheel why do you have another wheel on your screen?

Lose the wheel on the screen and you can see the gear indicator very well. This goes well with the realism angle too.

As to the point about the virtual steering gauge. I thought you were using mouse because you had the arms and wheel on screen and needed them to know which way you were steering. The virtual gauge would have represented the steering input well and you could lose the wheel and thus see the gear indicator.

But I have to admit that the gear indicator is in a pretty silly place.

@geeman
As they are making the new interiors now. NOW is the time to request stuff on them.
Last time I checked my car has a visible steering wheel inside.
100% agree!! +1 ! With the topic starter
I often just have to know i which gear the car is, because in many cars i can' t see the gear indicator.
turn off the on-screen wheel, duh
#14 - wien
Quote from XCNuse :Last time I checked my car has a visible steering wheel inside.

Yeees, and you have one right in front of you on your desk, so what good is the one on the screen? Apart from obstructing the view of the gear indicator that is...
Quote from XCNuse :Last time I checked my car has a visible steering wheel inside.

Last time I checked my car had only one steering wheel.
Max your Y and Z coordinates and deactivate virtual meters, mirrors and steering wheel. IMHO it makes the cockpit view more useful.
SOme of us WANT the virtual wheel and arms, anybody thought of that??
Quote from Primoz :SOme of us WANT the virtual wheel and arms, anybody thought of that??

It's fine if you are not talking about "realism". But if you are talking "realism", you already have a wheel in front of you and 2 arms attached to your body. No need for a 2nd set of both.

To the OP, wow, look at those screenshots! Your resolution is completely wacked and your FOV is completely wrong. Fix those and you will have more realism right there. Combined with removing the wheel and driver's arms from onscreen view and you can see the gear indicator perfectly fine.

Scratch that, actually, if you want a realistic look, you will need external gauges for your actual wheel controller as you wouldn't be able to see the dash at all.
Quote from mrodgers :It's fine if you are not talking about "realism". But if you are talking "realism", you already have a wheel in front of you and 2 arms attached to your body. No need for a 2nd set of both.

Yes but on the same topic, the dash in the car then doesn't have a steering wheel, nor hands attached to it.

So .. I win.

You aren't "in" the game, thus you aren't part of its physics, thus by having the wheel and arms in it, you are making it more realistic.

... /end random tangent/rant
Quote from mrodgers :It's fine if you are not talking about "realism". But if you are talking "realism", you already have a wheel in front of you and 2 arms attached to your body. No need for a 2nd set of both.

With driving at your desk, everyone's arms are usually lower than the screen, and most people prefer to have 3D arms and wheel visible in the cockpit. I do, and especially when spectating so I can see someone's arm movements. Unless I have a full blown cockpit, and my arms are directly in front of the screen, then I have every reason to disable the wheel and arms, if not the whole dash entirely. But because of my setup which most of us all typically have (wheel on desk), I think it is perfectly fine for a game to have a 3D set of hands/arms and a wheel... matter of fact, a lot of driving games need to show them by default, or else you get into the whole 'this game is sooo 90's era' where you don't have any arms at all.

We wouldn't be complaining about the wheel covering the gear number in the first place if is wasn't for Scawen and Eric being so damn slow in making a proper dash cluster and cockpits in practically every car. Not to mention the driver models from an old Sega fighting game.
Quote from Primoz :SOme of us WANT the virtual wheel and arms, anybody thought of that??

Well then you just have to live with not seeing the gear indicator.

@XCNuse
But in my real car the steering wheel that is in the car has my hands attached to it. Not some one elses... unless I'm drunk and the wife is driving. Then I'm usually in the back seat so it would be realistic to have one wheel that has others hands on it and a seperate one for my own hands. But this is a racing simulator and not a drinking simulator.

@Tweaker
Well most people who drive with wheels have their wheel turning less than the on screen wheel. How is that realistic?
Besides no one is asking for the hands and wheel to be removed from the game. Just that if you want to see the gear indicator you should click the box to not show them.
Guys your missing the OP's point(or some of you are)

I say +1

To the discussion about the ingame wheel being there or not:

Some people like having it there(i do). yes theres a wheel and hands infrnt of you when you play the game but i hope to [insert famous religious person/being here](im not religious) that your not looking at them and that your looking at the screen.
Quote from March Hare :@Tweaker
Well most people who drive with wheels have their wheel turning less than the on screen wheel. How is that realistic?
Besides no one is asking for the hands and wheel to be removed from the game. Just that if you want to see the gear indicator you should click the box to not show them.

I just knew someone would mention that, especially you. Hopefully you will grow up to be part of Ajp & Deggis' realism squad.

But I don't care if they aren't turning their wheel 2 full rotations, fact is, I care to see actual steering movement than nothing at all. It is quite easy to analyze someone's driving and their setup if you just watch how they steer the car. Oversteer is very easily seen at any rate of countersteering at the wheel, I don't see how that proves my idea wrong.

And you shouldn't have to remove the steering wheel/hands to see the gear indicator. "How is that realistic?" :rolleyes:

Ahh yes here it is.... lemme just turn off driver names so I can see roadsigns Bill!!! :rolleyes:

If you're going to come up with more asinine ways to completely ruin a video game's usability features, feel free to make a list, it is all quite laughable how you think people will conform to your own views of how-to play this game. Let's all just turn off our wheels guys, come on!!! March is leading a revolution here!!! I never knew real racecars have hidden gear indicators that the drivers cannot see, so they have to forget about steering the car with their hands/arms, and remove the steering wheel completely just to see it!!! WOW!

idiot
Didn't you overreact a bit, Tweaker?
But if you ask me, four arms is not right.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG