The online racing simulator
What good rallye game would require
(24 posts, started )
#1 - JTbo
Random stages, there should be technology that could create track when it is loaded and it should have tens of thousands possibilities. Only length, how fast or slow, what material road is (location) and what time of day stage will occur should be possible then to choose.

Why you may ask, well rally drivers don't get chance to practise hundreds of times same stage, so it would add a lot to immersion when you truly can't be sure about what is coming next, you should trust your co-driver.

Biggest challenge would be how to make creation process such that track looks believable and would have comparable times to other stages generated with same parameters.

If enough tough would be put to it, it would shock our world way 3d did

Ok, I just grab my coat here then
Slicks 'n slide did it.

EDIT: How about if the master server would create a new random track every day and client software would download it for driving? All records of best times would be logged there on the master server for all the world to see.
#3 - JTbo
With 3d it is bit more difficult than with those simple 2d gfx, but certainly not impossible, nobody has just not worked with it enough hard, I believe
Quote from JTbo :Biggest challenge would be how to make creation process such that track looks believable and would have comparable times to other stages generated with same parameters.

Store the seed the generation is based on perhaps? Other games that have procedurally generated content do that AFAIK.

Which would also help for staging multiplayer contests as well.
#5 - JTbo
Quote from xaotik :Store the seed the generation is based on perhaps? Other games that have procedurally generated content do that AFAIK.

Yes, some version of Worms did that, but then again, we are in same situation where it is easily drawn to hotlapping ignoring co-driver again.
Quote from JTbo :Yes, some version of Worms did that, but then again, we are in same situation where it is easily drawn to hotlapping ignoring co-driver again.

Yeah - I guess it's condemned to being single-player then which kind of kills the competitive spirit. Unless - you had a whole set of stages generated and signed in way that they got invalidated after you've competed in them, thus rendering them unique and each player can play them only once.
#7 - JTbo
Maybe some kind of system where single stage could appear only once in a year, that would be nice too?

Anyway it would be really big hit if such system would be introduced
For people that enjoy diversity it surely would. But judging from the stats of popular combos on LFS for example, I'd say that's probably - and sadly so - a minority.
#9 - Woz
Looking at how RBR tracks are built it is an ideal system to create random tracks with. Watchinjg the track builder vid looks like it could be automated a great deal to generate random tracks.

I agree with you, would be great for rally sim
#10 - JTbo
Yes, it is sad there is so little amount of people that understand what is best for them, if majority would be those world might be quite nice place actually

Oh yes, forgot to post point again

If LFS will have rallye support at some stage, I recon such system would fit quite nicely to it's approach. Even Rallying is perhaps not very much of possible online, unless one get's creative.

Instead of racing against another car, there would be report at end of stage where is times from others in way stage end times are presented in rallying, not much online, but every little bit counts, right?
#11 - w126
#12 - JTbo
#13 - Don
Certainly a good idea, i`ve also put some thought into this few years ago.
After the stage would be generated, you would be allowed to have 2 drives thru it in standard ROAD car and you would create your own pacenotes. Then the 3rd drive would be "real" one, with rally car. And it wouldn`t even be impossible to make this online - just make some queueing system so cars would start with 2 minutes intervals...
I like the idea, and I belive that it would be possible to do. It just needs to be some, or hell of a lot of coding involved. But if you look on games like 1nsane there was this generate track editor. Of course, very simply, but it`s about the same idea. The editor we`re speaking about now would need to have some features, like, what scenery type would it be most of (slider), water (slider), hills/elevation/jumps (slider) etc etc. Really, it can`t be that hard, I just belive that the ones that makes rally games are not interested in using time on it I guess
Yunno, it might be possible to do something like this in LFS right now.

This might take some explaining but bare with me...

On the few occasions i've ventured onto the Bump N' Jump server, the most fun i had was when the tracks changed. Not being a regular visitor on the server each new track would be a complete unknown, all i can do is follow the guy in front of me and hope he knows which way the track goes.

So, if we had an admin with a bucket full of 'altered' tracks (i.e like those posted in the New Layouts section of the forum). Then all he needs to do is set up a kind of 'one shot' qualy session, whereby each driver leaves the pits, goes round the altered track (for a sighting lap), but before he begins his timed lap, has to stop in a little control starting grid/box (so his timed lap is from a standing start). After a countdown from the admin, he starts, does his timed lap, then goes back into the pits (so he only gets one shot at it)

If you wanted to have a co-driver, a pal could be on teamspeak or somesuch, who sits in chase view or heli view and navigates. Then maybe swap roles to make it a team event.

Then, when all drivers have done their timed lap the admin can simply make a note of the times/positions then change the track/layout.

Obviously there are a couple of drawbacks, any damage would be lost when changing tracks, and the other drivers in the event would have to sit in the pits in their cars waiting for their turn (obviously if they sat in spectate mode they'd see the the other guys driving the track) But it's one way to get a rally race on a completely new, never seen before track.

Ok so it's not ideal, but, it may work, possibly ?

Another thought, i guess you could do something like this with ArmA, with the added benefit of having a staging area (then having to drive to the stages), night driving, changeable weather, and ongoing damage. Granted the driving dynamics in ArmA are very very simplistic, and you'd need someone with a bit of nouce to make a rally stage timing type thingy (is Kegety into rallying ? can he be bribed to make something like this ? is it even possible to do this in ArmA ?)

Again i guess it could be done, just depends on how much effort you're willing to put into it.
randomisation can be done but just thinking about the maths and coding thats required makes my knee's feel weak....
rallycross for the ps1 had a rally stage generator iirc. so maybe something like htat but more complex would be good
Quote from Gabkicks :rallycross for the ps1 had a rally stage generator iirc. so maybe something like htat but more complex would be good

Was it kalled only "rallycross".
Anyway, it would be awesome if it in the future was a standar to release track editors / generators with the game. It seriously expand the lifetime of a game, and it adds so much. If the developers of game had taken their time making a good program like that they would be rewarded by customers that would be loyal to their product for a loooong time. Just look on 1nsane, well, mostly it`s because of the mod`ing community, but still, a game that allows editing and / or has a track generator is just awesome.
This is a feature I always dreamt of. I hope it´s possible some day (some day where I am still alive, so I can use it ).
The lack of "random Tracks" is why I play Richard Burns Rallye so unfrequently. Now I play it again, but it sat on my Harddisk for nearly a year untouched. I stop playing RBR when I realize that I memorized the Tracks. So after 9-12 Months I forgot enough to start again and I need to rely on the Co Pilots announcements. This makes it much more interesting.
It´s fun this way, but it makes you very uncompetetive when playing Online i.e. in the Czech RBR Tournaments.

This gets slightly OT, but it should show why Random Tracks are so important:
It´s a bit like Gronholm vs. Loeb last year. If you followed the WRC Season you could see that when a new Stage came Gronholm was moslty faster than Loeb. But when they drove the same Stage again on the same day Loeb was faster. I think Loeb is very good in memorizing Tracks. So if I had the chance to choose whith whom to drive on a completely unknown Track in a WRC Car with insane Speeds I would chose Gronholm
Quote from The Very End :Was it kalled only "rallycross".
Anyway, it would be awesome if it in the future was a standar to release track editors / generators with the game. It seriously expand the lifetime of a game, and it adds so much. If the developers of game had taken their time making a good program like that they would be rewarded by customers that would be loyal to their product for a loooong time. Just look on 1nsane, well, mostly it`s because of the mod`ing community, but still, a game that allows editing and / or has a track generator is just awesome.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps/dri ... ry&tag=summary;review
Thanks

Oh lol, forgot how "good" ps1 graphics looked
The new counter strike knoc off made by valve has this stuff in it AFAIK.... level randomisation would be a nice touch but first we need more cars and a clutch thats not maybe by fiat
#23 - JTbo
Quote from theirishnoob :The new counter strike knoc off made by valve has this stuff in it AFAIK.... level randomisation would be a nice touch but first we need more cars and a clutch thats not maybe by fiat

Oh, just learn to drive, I did not burn clutch in SO2 with RB4 even I did use clutch pedal and took car sideways more than it did go straight, also spunned several times, burned rubber on launch etc. You just can't drive properly. And what that has to do with anything of this thread? Absolutely nothing, you trolley

You can rally already with many cars, only track would be needed, but I doubt that is scope of LFS and therefore any interest for devs as online would not be very big part of it.
#24 - wien
Quote from theirishnoob :The new counter strike knoc off made by valve has this stuff in it AFAIK....

If you're thinking of Team Fortress 2 (which isn't really similar CS BTW), it has nothing of the sort. It has randomised starting positions on one of the bigger maps. The map itself is completely static and modelled by hand.

(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG