The online racing simulator
Under-Car Skins
(31 posts, started )
Under-Car Skins
You know I was driving around in our new MOE skin the other day and I ended up rolling the car. When I saw the car sitting on track I thought to my self, this would look great if the bottom of the car had detail. With nothing but a black texture for the bottom of the car it seems hard to showcase any roll over without seeing that, whats the word... Nothingness.

I was thinking it would be great to have a separate skin file that would allow us to edit the undercarriage of each car. I know it's something your not going to see all the time, unless you race on a banger server, but it's a missing link in the chain that seems to me, could be an easy fix.
Good suggestion, but is it nessarcary?
Quote from RacerAsh3 :is it nessarcary?

Of course not, but neither are tire tread skins for non open-wheeled racers either. And neither are brake disk skins... and neither are rear seat skins. But you you see them all on occasion, so why not?

Oh, and it's 'necessary'
but on race cars they have a flat under belly usually made of aluminium for aero so maybe for only road cars. then +1
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :but on race cars they have a flat under belly usually made of aluminium for aero

Yeah - but even THAT looks better than the empty nothingness which fills the voids in the universe...
+1 for more detailed under-car textures
-1 for customizable under-car textures!
(waste of developement resources, waste of badwidth, server storage space, hard drive storage space and PC resources for only a little little gain)
Im all for a under belly texture with its own looks for each car but not skin files those would be horrible coz you would have every man and his dog trying to out do each other.

So yeah under belly texture is good
#8 - JJ72
hehehe imagine people putting 2048 texture of neon lights under their XRT.
#9 - dev
Quote from JJ72 :hehehe imagine people putting 2048 texture of neon lights under their XRT.

I doubt it would be XRT XRT saved itself by driving away from the demo province into the S2 kingdom... But think of the FBM with neons
+1
Grat idea +1
Hmm..

suggested this how many years back and still don't have it :S

oof back in 2004 lol

my original thread.
Quote from XCNuse :Hmm..

suggested this how many years back and still don't have it :S

oof back in 2004 lol

my original thread.

+1, I could get a lot more detail into my skins with an undertray/body but I won`t hold my breath until S3.
I wouldn't want skinable underbodies, maybe a better DDS file. Which is, really the same thing.

You say all race cars have a flat underbody, which is always the argument in my head...

*Aims for apex*
*Misses*
*Rolls*
"Ugh, teh en-sexah under car-ness..."
"Well, they are flat on a race car >_>"

But an XRT isn't a race car, nor are half the tin tops...
Quote from BigTime :You know I was driving around in our new MOE skin the other day and I ended up rolling the car. When I saw the car sitting on track I thought to my self, this would look great if the bottom of the car had detail. With nothing but a black texture for the bottom of the car it seems hard to showcase any roll over without seeing that, whats the word... Nothingness.

I was thinking it would be great to have a separate skin file that would allow us to edit the undercarriage of each car. I know it's something your not going to see all the time, unless you race on a banger server, but it's a missing link in the chain that seems to me, could be an easy fix.

well just pretend that you have a skid plate fitted underneith the car just like a rally car!
Quote from atlantian :well just pretend that you have a skid plate fitted underneith the car just like a rally car!

A skid plate made of the world's darkest material ever made.
Actually, most race cars DON'T have smooth underbodies...they did for a bit, then they realized that's a terrible idea...remember the Mercedies and the other (Porsche, Jag? ... i forget) lifting off on a straight piece of track and doing backwards flips?

Open wheel cars still use smooth bottom plates, but thats's because the car's arent shaped like normal cars...which have a profile similar to a wing...and a smooth bottom promotes more airflow under the car, meaning air under is moving much faster than the air over the car...which is what gives a wing lift...all you have to do at that point it give it a positive angle of incidence (lift the nose just a bit) and you have a flying car...

I think a modeled version would be great...and would look nice...doesnt have to be super detailed (think something like the bottom of a hot-wheels car) ... but just make it look like something more than absolute black...
Quote from atlantian :super-dense-carbon?

Yeah. Even better, black-hole material would tend to suck everything up and so pull the car towards the ground as it ate everything underneath.

But if that's the case, we need better modeling of wear-and-tear of track surfaces.
Quote from LFSn00b :It could be a .dds file so it saves space, server space and bandwith, but i -1 because i dont want to see riced undercar mods

When was the last time you saw a riced interior skin?

I haven't seen one in a while, and honestly, it's the underside of the car how often do you think you're going to see it lol?
Anything would be nice, would have been nice since then but we still don't have it, all it takes is a single texture file and not reflectiveness and then.. we're all good.
Quote from XCNuse :...it's the underside of the car how often do you think you're going to see it lol?

How often you're playing in cruise servers? Trust me, it is daily to flip your cars because you barely touched extra obstacles (Those red & white from autocross).
-1 for texture

+1 for actual modeled suspension arms and such under the chassis, including exhaust line etc.
i just think that they should include a simple skid plate under body on appropriate cars. but there should be suspension and parts visible around the skidplates...

if they can't add skid plates appropriately then yes, add the detailed bottom with suspension and drive train and such. standard for each car and if you won't be able to mod the cars then you shouldn't allow modding of the underbelly
Quote from RMachucaA :
+1 for actual modeled suspension arms and such under the chassis, including exhaust line etc.

++1
Quote from Gekkibi :How often you're playing in cruise servers? Trust me, it is daily to flip your cars because you barely touched extra obstacles (Those red & white from autocross).

lol is that a serious question?

Don't worry about the barriers when the damage system gets fixed on those you really won't see cars get flipped over on freak accidents anymore.

Under-Car Skins
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG