The online racing simulator
What happened to me?
(25 posts, started )
What happened to me?
I didn't really know where to put this, but..

I was at first lap racing down the first straight towards turn one in Aston National, when my car suddenly spinned. It happened so fast (about 180° in less than a second, 540° in about two) than I couldn't even react for it. As you can see from THIS VIDEO, I floored the pedal to the metal all the time, and didn't perform any other control imputs at all. Tires were normal, no punctures etc, suspension didn't bottomed out or act suspiciously at all. And unless I thought first, the aerodynamics didn't dramatically change either. (There was a car behind me, about 1,5 meters [5ft for the Yankees] away). Seems like wheels just locked for some reason.

First i thought i was rear-ended by some faster car, but when I checked the replay, it was something else, but what the heck?
Can't play the video. Why can't people pick standard codecs?
sorry. i understand nothing about codecs
Could it be DIVX MGP4?
Please tell me what is a good codec (link?) and i remake the vid.
#4 - avih
It does look weird. The only thing i can think of is that due to some lag issue, your LFS client application deduced that another car hit you (right front??) and then split second later, when another network packet was recieved, the car "jumped" back to it's correct position.

IIRC, I had a similar issue (aston-national, breaking straight before last chicane). I'll see if i had a replay of that.

Still strange.
Worked for me.

Very strange I must say.... it looks almost as if someone hit you in the rear, but nobody was directly behind you. Also look like you hit someone with your front end... but still nobody there....

The car just rapidly yanks to one side... and I've never seen that before. Odd. No jerky wheel movement, no handbrake, nothing.....
got divx 6 pro installed here and cant play it either...
For those who don't see the vid, install

ffdshow
and AC3-filter

These two combined, and you don't need ANY other codecs etc. to watch the most movies available (i can't remember never seeing one that wouldn't work). Under 3 megabytes overall.

(These are just for decoding, if you need to make some videos yourself, it's a different story. For example, I got DivX ;-). I have absolutely no idea if it's standard or not. At least it's over 50mb smaller than the official DivX codec )

And back to the business (just to fake that it's not 100% offtopic), i want more wise answers!
Strange behaviour. I'll go with avih's idea, except I think that would only occur in extreme lag as you'd "snap" back (a la starts) when you re-synced with the server.

According to GSpot its DIV3/div4. If your divx doesnt decode it, make sure that generic is on and if that fails, try xvid to decode generic MPG4's. If all else fails, div3!
You've been a bad boy and God punished You
OR

as it has happened to me, a controller spike, where for a millisecond lfs thinks you applied full lock, then it goes back to normal, but by then you'r car is already on its way to mayhem.
Quote from RMachucaA :OR

as it has happened to me, a controller spike, where for a millisecond lfs thinks you applied full lock, then it goes back to normal, but by then you'r car is already on its way to mayhem.

And that's cos...

a) Windows sucks?

b) LFS sucks?

c) MOMO sucks?
That, sir, looks like a lag kill to me.
bugger!! maybe it was a track load error? Ages ago in S1 I was hot lapping the LX6 around FE black and the car just all of a sudden launched in the air. I turned around to look at the track and where I got airbourne had an invisible raised part.. I had fun for 5 minutes, saved the replay and quit LFS. The next time I drove the combo the track was fine and the replay had an OOS error at the buggy spot
Weird...a suggestion for future consideration though. To avoid file compatibility issues, reduce file size and allow people to see things from more than one angle, just post the mpr file.
#15 - JJ72
It often happens in the matrix.

no worries agents are already sent to the troublesome spot.
Quote from Resound :Weird...a suggestion for future consideration though. To avoid file compatibility issues, reduce file size and allow people to see things from more than one angle, just post the mpr file.

That's often too much for me, to download the mpr, move it to the mpr folder, start lfs, find the replay, load the textures, creating [small], creating [middle], creating [large], preload, find the right car, and if the accident happens on lap 6 for example, just wait. And if you want to watch it again, wait another 6 laps...

...Or you can download a 1-10 mb file (takes no more than few minutes anyway, you can use that time browsing the LFS Forum ) to the desktop, double click it, watch as many times you like, and when done, delete.

Neverthelss, by a public request, in future I will present both forms at a time
This must be a collision caused by lag or a error while track loading, but it cannot be controller spikes. Depending on your fps (which are only so low in the video because of the recording) the full lock left would only last for say 10-40ms in which your car wouldn't show this effect. Even if you made a full lock on purpose that direction change would be much smoother that what is shown in the video.
Quote from frokki :That's often too much for me, to download the mpr, move it to the mpr folder, start lfs, find the replay, load the textures, creating [small], creating [middle], creating [large], preload, find the right car, and if the accident happens on lap 6 for example, just wait. And if you want to watch it again, wait another 6 laps...

So what's 6 laps like, say roughly 2 minutes per lap, makes 12 minutes, divided by 32 (thats the maximum replay speed), a whooping 23 seconds. God behave!

Also being able to look around and generally seeing everything with way more detail is worth the wait IMO.

PS: and you don't have to "find the right car"
I made a test
"Time taken from pressing the link to the start of the show"

That .avi I posted: 22 seconds (and 4 mouse clicks)
An .spr from bug subforum: 1 minute 31 seconds (and over 20 mouse clicks)
(i didn't count that waiting time for .spr)

Anyway, like I said already, from now on I'll present both forms at a time.
Quote from RudiTurbo :You've been a bad boy and God punished You

No it was RudiTurbo's slipstream
1.5 meters is not 1'8", but more like 4'11"
Quote from banshee56 :That, sir, looks like a lag kill to me.

That was my guess as well...
Quote from tristancliffe :1.5 meters is not 1'8", but more like 4'11"

heh, ok. I don't understand those measures too well.. I tried to convert them by a calculator and that's the result

I've always knew that 'foot' is approx. 30 centimeters, right? So i don't know where the 1'8" came from

BACK TO THE TOPIC:

After reading all the replies I still don't have a clue what happened. That lag thing makes sense, but otherwise I don't think that it was laggy back then..
-
(bernhard.urban) DELETED by bernhard.urban
#24 - Nard
OFFTOPIC!

In architecture, one of the first things we were taught was this:
25.4 millimeters = 1 inch

That's the beauty of architecture, you need to know BOTH systems by heart as steel construction is usually metric, and wood/concrete is imperial...

sigh
#25 - Gizz
its funny this post turned up because i was OFFLINE playing with the setup on v8 on AShistoric when going through T2 the car just wnt nuts, now i have had the car give out here many times and had some massive spins but this was like someone nailed my back end.....

could have just been a bad spin but iv never spun like that before..... strange....

What happened to me?
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG