The online racing simulator
lol at "fun and frantic racing"!

I tried once or twice, I'm slow there but I will try and gather all detachement possible (yoga? tea? booze?) to remain calm and concentrated, while cars around me
1) spin and pretend they are lawnmowers on slicks
2) lap me madly doing 10 seconds less a lap than I think is sane

I'm still more or less newbie and while this server is fun, it is also mightily challenging for middle tier racers to finish a race in 1 piece due to the very wide spread skill range found there.
Wish me luck and thanks again for the good work.
Quote from Mille Sabords :
I'm still more or less newbie and while this server is fun, it is also mightily challenging for middle tier racers to finish a race in 1 piece due to the very wide spread skill range found there.

Yeah I've noticed this too.

I'm not trying to brag because I really don't consider myself all that fast, but many times I've been on SS1 and simply dominated due to who's on the server at the time. Starting from pole, setting the fastest lap, and winning the race by 20+ seconds gets boring quickly. I'll come across drivers who brake hard and shift down two gears for a full-throttle kink because they don't even seem to know which way to turn sometimes. I do my best to be very careful in the braking zones to allow for slower guys, but when I'm 2m behind someone setting up a pass and he brakes on a straight, what can I do?

I agree with the general sentiment above that the cars should be rearranged. FJR should be axed until the bug is fixed.

I'm not sure how successful an FBM/FOX server will be though. On a track like Aston Club the FOX is about five seconds faster, which is huge. It's especially so on the straights, but the FBM is not faster in the corners which would balance it out somewhat. We'd have instances of 10-12-15 people all driving the FBM on SS2 and having fun, then someone shows up and blows them all away with the FOX. We can't have people yelling at others to change cars, since the servers allows what it allows.

Personally I'd like to see SS2 be FBM only, then SS3 with FOX/FO8. Then again on SS2 I'll drive anything as long as there's a healthy population.
Quote from Lateralus :I'm not sure how successful an FBM/FOX server will be though. On a track like Aston Club the FOX is about five seconds faster, which is huge. It's especially so on the straights, but the FBM is not faster in the corners which would balance it out somewhat. We'd have instances of 10-12-15 people all driving the FBM on SS2 and having fun, then someone shows up and blows them all away with the FOX. We can't have people yelling at others to change cars, since the servers allows what it allows.

The idea of an FMB/FOX server was to have it as multi class, like the GT server. The fact that the FOX is 5 seconds a lap faster is a good thing

Knowing there is such a speed difference makes the idea even more appealing now.
from my point of view i would not cancel the FJR. it's a great car to the way to the BF1 only thing is with the named bug atm. my ideas were more to compensate the driver field, so the NationalA and above can race SS3, the lower once use SS2 (FBM/FOX). when SS2 was well populated with mixed classes, there was the case with FOX/FJR, that the really fast FOX-drivers overtook some slower FJR drivers, so i think FOX/FBM can be handled as 2 classes, but the races will be really mixed. atm (like sam said) ss-licences are growing, nevertheless atm only 12 drivers can drive SS3 and if you pack FJR and F08 on one server there are nearly 80 drivers who can race this server. so my hope would be to get some "real" races for the higher licences.

for the lower once, the favourite role of the FBM is a good thing, and i'm not for a second FBM-only server. atm it seems to me, that the people more like to stay in FBM on SS1 than going to the FOX.

but we need time to see the evolution of the ss-licences, so all my ideas are some kind of "mid-term-adjustments", in general and if there are enough driver, the distribution of licences and server fits very, very good. will be fun to have the first mixed races on SS3 with BF1
In the evenings in the US during the week, SS2 is almost always completely deserted. It is frustrating, because I assume there isn't a large enough base to get a nice size race on SS2 going.

I enjoy the FJR, but I enjoy racing other people more
I think it's fine as it is, although I don't really like the FJR. Ristricting the best car in LFS.. That's like.. buying great speakers and putting in earplugs.

Anyway, I just wish the SS2 server will be more crowded soon. Everytime I look it's empty or just 1 person in it. :/
If everytime the incoming racer sees only one driver and leaves, no server will be populated enough, but if drivers connect regardless if empty or not, it'll be populated sooner.
So, if you like SS2 and have the access to it, just connect, soon somebody else will see you and join
Quote from haelje :SS1 - stay as it is, it's a good entry-server with the FBM

SS2 - allow FBM and FOX on SS2, so NationalB's can choose a cleaner server and they can choose beetwen the FOX and the FBM (imo the most races will be FBM-races ) - delete the FJR for SS2

SS3 - FJR (NationalA), F08 and BF1, so this would be better i think, because the FJR and F08 on one server is a good thing for setting exchange, on this higher server there should not be a problem with 3 different classes i think, especially the most track on SS3 are the long ones. and ATM there are too less International-driver, so perhaps this cold close the lack of drivers and could lead into real races from NationalA and above.

the most important thing is SS2 i think. with FOX and FBM it should be populated, atm the most drivers go to their International's on SS1, and this can be horrorible

I think this is a very good idea. I'd like to see CTRA SS servers in a way like this.
Quote from Darkone55 :...I don't really like the FJR. Ristricting the best car in LFS.. That's like.. buying great speakers and putting in earplugs.

Can't disagree. I wish I could drive the REAL FO8 on SS2, I'm sure this would attract many racers to the server.
Quote from Darkone55 :I think it's fine as it is, although I don't really like the FJR. Ristricting the best car in LFS.. That's like.. buying great speakers and putting in earplugs.

great line... but what DRU and the team did with the baby-R was fantastic! Made the UFR a really fun and very competitive machine for close racing! Depends on someone's view as to which is the best car
The FJR is not really a challenge to drive. It's close to the FOX.
Maybe it is possible to give it a little less air intake ristiction.
Than the car is better possitioned between the FOX and the real F08 AND maybe the intake/gear bug will be less prominent.
Quote from Demon68 :The FJR is not really a challenge to drive. It's close to the FOX.
Maybe it is possible to give it a little less air intake ristiction.
Than the car is better possitioned between the FOX and the real F08 AND maybe the intake/gear bug will be less prominent.

Well, it's not really close to the FOX. And it's not really easy to drive either. It's about 4/5 seconds per lap faster then the FOX. At Westhill I did 1.29 low with the FO8. The FOX drivers did only 1.35. Although it should be possible to do 1.34 low consistantly, that's still 5 seconds. And I think that's fine.

It's quite challenging if you make an on-the-edge setup, but on tracks like Aston it's too slow. Fern Bay is pretty cool tho. Removing the weight would make it a little harder and faster. But making it faster wouldn't attract more/faster racers. It's still the system itself that keeps a lot of the fast guys away.
Quote from SamH :The biggest obstacle at the moment is an LFS bug that makes the FJR impossible to drive.

Anyone able to describe this bug? I find the FJR a nightmare to drive, but I thought I was just a bad driver I've searched the forum and can't find any info.
#38 - SamH
Quote from SamH :Misshift with ignition cut?

Oh that's very easy to avoid. Just life slightly when shifting. With 0% throttle it doesn't shift, and with 100% it doesn't. With everything in between it works like a charm.
Quote from Darkone55 :Oh that's very easy to avoid. Just life slightly when shifting. With 0% throttle it doesn't shift, and with 100% it doesn't. With everything in between it works like a charm.

And therefore confirming i'm just not very good at driving this car yet
Quote from Darkone55 :Oh that's very easy to avoid. Just life slightly when shifting. With 0% throttle it doesn't shift, and with 100% it doesn't. With everything in between it works like a charm.

Shifting within .5 mph of rev limit at 100% throttle works well enough too.
Quote from nelson_trujillo :If everytime the incoming racer sees only one driver and leaves, no server will be populated enough, but if drivers connect regardless if empty or not, it'll be populated sooner.
So, if you like SS2 and have the access to it, just connect, soon somebody else will see you and join

I will be there almost every night from 10pm-12pm PST. I just got both my National B and Bronze, and was pretty disapointed with the turnout on the tier 2 servers.
Guys, guess how many of us today were on SS2?

22!!! I bet it's a new record!

Everything was just perfect, the racing quality was simply awesome, I would really like to say thanks to all of those who were on server today and I'm looking forward to racing on a full server again soon

Edit: 23 already! :headbang:
#44 - SamH
That's some intense racing! I'm exhausted now, though.. endurance day hurts!
Quote from SamH :That's some intense racing! I'm exhausted now, though.. endurance day hurts!

It was! sooo tired now...
That was some excellent racing, apart from running out of fuel in 2nd place, on the last lap and only needing 0.2litres to finish But I really like SS2 when it's a bit busy, the fox can actually keep pace with the F08 on the Fern Bay Green... mucho liko....
Thoroughly enjoying this, but I have a question...

Me and this other chap were battling it out like mad in FOX on lap 19 out of 21 on FE3, A FJR then comes up behind us, so we're under blue flag of course. So should we both slow and let him pass? or is it up to the FJR driver to pass us as neither of us want to slow as we are having an intense race, we're not intentionally blocking the FJR but he is angry that we're not giving way easily. I know from racing in the multiclass GFC that it is upto the F08 to pass the FOX when lapping, there is no requirement for the FOX to slow and let FO8 pass. I was wondering what the rule/view of this is on CTRA?

If I am wrong then sorry to Jean Malesi
Quote from AlienT. :Thoroughly enjoying this, but I have a question...

Me and this other chap were battling it out like mad in FOX on lap 19 out of 21 on FE3, A FJR then comes up behind us, so we're under blue flag of course. So should we both slow and let him pass? or is it up to the FJR driver to pass us as neither of us want to slow as we are having an intense race, we're not intentionally blocking the FJR but he is angry that we're not giving way easily. I know from racing in the multicalss GFC that it is upto the F08 to pass the FOX when lapping, there is no requirement for the FOX to slow and let FO8 pass. I was wondering what the rule/view of this is on CTRA?

If I am wrong then sorry to Jean Alesi

I would expect the F08 to wait and pass when he can, if you were both racing for position then you are in your right to continue that battle. Unless of course your pit manager told you otherwise

The F08 has enough power to pass you on the straights no?
yeah, it was the closest racing in full grids i had since today really close wheel-to-wheel-battles, all clear i think

hope to see you all there again, and perhaps we can start populating the SS3, it is BF1-time to come
Quote from yeager :That was some excellent racing, apart from running out of fuel in 2nd place, on the last lap and only needing 0.2litres to finish But I really like SS2 when it's a bit busy, the fox can actually keep pace with the F08 on the Fern Bay Green... mucho liko....

That happened to me, at AS National, I was winning the FOX race, until my fuels ran out, and then at FE Green, I was doing fantastic (faster than nearly everyone on the track) but crashed or similar.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG