The online racing simulator
We need proper racing tracks..
(56 posts, started )
A track you could see in real life…
Following some basic safety rules... not having concrete wall facing the exit of a chicane before which, is a straight that lets you reach 200+km/h…
Have some proper run off areas ffs.
That would help massively proper racing and one accident would not ruin the whole grid.

Quote from Motordirex :BS! We only complain about tracks we arent fast at...I know cuz Im one of them. But Im in no position to point out faults of a track because Im not quick there - its my driving that needs to improve, not the circuit.

That maybe true for you and for many others but not for everyone...
For me my ability to go fast on an LFS track has strictly to do on how much laps I have done practising... nothing more nothing less.

I get really annoyed when races get ruined cause of some corners «traps» that are there just to bottleneck the track.
Could you give some examples of these "traps".

I want to try them out.
Even though I feel the irony... because you have enough km of experience to already know them.

Just two examples.
Attached images
FE2R.jpg
AS3.jpg
I dont see what is wrong with Fern Bay. I mean,hell, they even race GTs on this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl_SagcCCw

It looks somewhat to Fern Bay, and it even hosted a round of the World Sportscar Championship, so its fine
Apart from the fact that the track we barely see in that video has a green background like Fe… what other similarities can you find? It looks wider than FE, with reasonable corners and nearly no curbs…
My only issue with Blackwood is that the racing line involves going completely outside the curbing on the second half of the lap, which violates the normal rules of sim racing which is two wheels on the track at all time, assuming that the curbing normally indicates the boundaries of a race track.

If real world Formula 1 cars can race at Monaco, I don't see an issue with with any of the LFS tracks for fast cars. Ebisu is another location with some very tight tracks (more like a go-kart track), but I don't know what classes of cars race there:

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Ebisu_Circuit

Then again, it would be nice to have Nordschleife / Nurburgring added into LFS.
Quote from JeffR :If real world Formula 1 cars can race at Monaco, I don't see an issue with with any of the LFS tracks for fast cars.

The only reason why F1 is still held at Monaco is purely for historic nostalgia and the enormous popularity of the event due to its prestige.

Racing at Monaco is plain boring. The circuit is so narrow that it's incredibly hard to overtake, and a single "off" can turn a whole section into a crawl.
westhill is a good track imo, a bit long but good. and i hope we will see some additions to that one
Quote from Fischfix :westhill is a good track imo, a bit long but good. and i hope we will see some additions to that one

Totally agree with you on that. We need more tracks like that, tracks with 1 config, it will create some variations, since I`m pretty much fed up by most of the tracks in LFS at the moment.
Quote from kaynd :Just two examples.

Maybe my km-perience is of the slow kind but I don't see those parts as traps.
Slow, yes. Stupid, maybe.
I think tracks should have corners that are slow and hard to drive.
Μy problem is not the corners.
They could stay as they are…

My problem is, what is near those corners… e.g. walls that are so dangerously placed near the exit of 150+km/h corners.
There could be just some properly placed sandtraps… so if someone got it wrong, is not forced to die instantly and kill some more racers that are following…
Hehe, the walls are great imo, it gets people to be more aware of the corners, and taking it more easy. But I`ll admnit that I many times have sweared when I hit the walls in a corner exit and seriously screw my car, but it`s some experience in that too
Sandtraps are maybe realistic, but they are damn anoying hehe.
And the problem with sand traps in LfS is that they don't really slow you down.

kaynd, I do get what you are talking about. But I see LfS as more of a club racing or trackday simulator than a FIA spec racing simulator. So I don't much mind the "clubness" of some tracks. This is mostly because of the cars I use in LfS so my mind might be changed as/when/if I move to the more race bred cars.
Well Aston doesn’t seem like a club track, nor that club tracks don’t have some basic safety rules.

And anyway with proper placed tire walls you can slow down anyone that wants to cut that much the track and still make it possible for him to retire because of the damage… but all this will happen outside the track and not in the middle.

Enough whining from me, I can live with the current track configuration. I just said my opinion
You're right about Aston. It doesn't look like a club track.

I was referring to the stopping power, if you can call it that, of the sand in the case of accidents and going off not cutting. But it would make cutting less beneficial too.

BTW this is a discussion about the features of the tracks not whining. So get back here!
lfs doesnt need real tracks, the ones eric has designed are sufficient entertainment as they are, more tracks would be nice, id prefer erics fantasy tracks rather than real ones, because we mostly know the real life tracks, and after a while we can easily get bored, but the likes of south city are good close racing street circuits

+1 for more of erics work
not really fussed on real tracks
Quote from March Hare :
BTW this is a discussion about the features of the tracks not whining. So get back here!

I am always here

I just have nothing more to say about that
Quote from der butz :Just stay away from the kerbs and you'll be okay.

Quote from deggis :Not possible if you want to be somehow competitive.

How's that. If YOU have to stay away from the kerbs, most probably the rest of the pack has to do so too. So same conditions for everyone -> good competition.

Quote from kaynd :
My problem is, what is near those corners… e.g. walls that are so dangerously placed near the exit of 150+km/h corners.
There could be just some properly placed sandtraps… so if someone got it wrong, is not forced to die instantly and kill some more racers that are following…

Quote from The Very End :Hehe, the walls are great imo, it gets people to be more aware of the corners, and taking it more easy.

kaynd, no one ever died in LFS (or did I miss anything??). nah, seriously, I see it the same way as The Very End. you, kaynd, got a point - but as wrecking your car in LFS doesn't cost you anything but the race, it's the only way to force "cheaters" (or "exploiters") to drive in a manner close to what they would do in real life. in RL most drivers wouldn't risk damaging their suspension and bodyparts by exploiting the tracklayout.
(there should be a feature rewarding a conserving driving-style... I have an idea but everybody will say: go play nfs :razz

Quote from kirmy :lfs doesnt need real tracks, [...]

+1 for more of erics work
not really fussed on real tracks

it's about realistic tracks. not real tracks.

oh yeah, my opinion: more tracks is always good. don't care about "realistic" or not so. I can live with the tracks we have at the moment (their style, not their number), which FE (green) is my favorite of. so please don't change them too much (though I don't care about lower curbs or their color).
Quote from Bandit77 :but as wrecking your car in LFS doesn't cost you anything but the race, it's the only way to force "cheaters" (or "exploiters") to drive in a manner close to what they would do in real life.

Thats why I said

Quote from kaynd :with proper placed tire walls you can slow down anyone that wants to cut that much the track and still make it possible for him to retire because of the damage… but all this will happen outside the track and not in the middle.

In that way you punish the driver who doesn’t care but you don’t punish the rest of the field.
aaaah... NOW I get it: the "exploiter" will wreck his car but won't be an obstacle for the other drivers. yeah. that's cool.
Quote from Bandit77 :How's that. If YOU have to stay away from the kerbs, most probably the rest of the pack has to do so too. So same conditions for everyone -> good competition.

That sentence doesn't make any sense
Deggis is right, if you want to win at FE, you have to ride those curbs, so you're forced to drive unrealistically to be competative there, and i simply don't enjoy doing so. As i said, FE would be an awesome track if could only have real curbs, and if the colors could be changed somehow.. Honestly, i also don't enjoy the enviroment and palm trees, it feels unreal to have a track in the place like that..
The layouts are great and all, but the curbs and the enviroment somehow doesn't get me in the racing mood...
Btw, my thread tittle sucks, it's like i'm asking for new tracks (which would be nice offcourse), what i meant is, that corners and curbs could be changed at some of the existing tracks..
Quote from Boris Lozac :That sentence doesn't make any sense

nanana... wait. and maybe you should've added "... to me" - because it does make sense.

Quote :
Deggis is right, if you want to win at FE, you have to ride those curbs, so you're forced to drive unrealistically to be competative there, and i simply don't enjoy doing so.

it's a whole different story if you have to do something you're not willing to (*) or if you CAN'T do it (i.e. you break the car or lose it). in context, I believe the latter was the case.

*: I'm tired of driving XFG with locked diff and hybrid-tyres too.
It's funny how tastes varies!
For me Fern Bay as it is (the layout and environement:cause of course it needs a lifting) and south city are the best environement by far!

Aston and Westhill are the worst. I fell like they are Soulless and boring!
As everyone has said, you're forced to drive unrealistically at FE to achieve competitive times. But this isn't the track's fault, it's the physics engine's fault. When the engine is fixed, you'll be forced to treat those chicanes as actual chicanes--i.e., stay off the curbs--and the problem will be solved.
It would help if your front wing fell off or your suspension got damaged if you kerbhopped like a nutter. Fern Bay is my favourite environment, and FE Green Reverse is one of the best tracks in LFS. I also like Weshill but it gets boring with the slower cars.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG