The online racing simulator
i joined the ufbr-server last night, just to check if its fun again
or not.

well, it wasn´t that much for me. i had a few nice races with
a couple of nice and fair racers

but: with my titanium licence its quite worthless to drive there.
there were about 6-15 races on the server and even by
finishing on the podium or win the race and even by driving
the fastest lap i got 4 points. always 4 points.

thats not very motivating

same problem i had with the gt2 class. i really love these cars,
but i get no points for it, so i have to drive the gtr´s.
thats ok, i like the gtr´s a lot, too. but on the ufbr-server
i can´t drive the ufr for more points...

i remember, in the beginning of the ufbr-server i got more points
there and i saw more "higher-licened" drivers like moose & co on it.

maybe this is just another reason its less populated these days?
Meh...once you have Titanium you may as well just race for fun rather than points.
The only class that provides points in double figures is the GT1s.
Quote from Bean0 :Meh...once you have Titanium you may as well just race for fun rather than points.
The only class that provides points in double figures is the GT1s.

yeah i got the same problem with my ss-licence. i do have to
drive the FJR or FO8 to get any points.

sure, its not all about points, its more about fun. but hey,
as long as moose is driving like mad to get uebertitanium i can´t
give up this fight, can i?
#54 - SamH
Okay.. question for you Titanium drivers.. wanna go back around?

I've been thinking about ways to make the CTRA interesting for Titanium drivers who've been there and done that. Would there be anything appealing to going back to Copper and re-ascending the system?

Obviously, if a Titanium driver chose to do this, we wouldn't just WIPE their points, they'd be elevated to the CTRA Hall Of Fame etc.. but before I get too busy on this idea, would it have any appeal?
Sure it not all about points. But the point system is giving me that extra edge wich makes more fun. There are lot server where you can win, butits more motivative when you get some points for it.
Quote from SamH :Okay.. question for you Titanium drivers.. wanna go back around?

I've been thinking about ways to make the CTRA interesting for Titanium drivers who've been there and done that. Would there be anything appealing to going back to Copper and re-ascending the system?

Obviously, if a Titanium driver chose to do this, we wouldn't just WIPE their points, they'd be elevated to the CTRA Hall Of Fame etc.. but before I get too busy on this idea, would it have any appeal?

Not for me.

I really can't put in the time required to progress through the system again, and I'm perfectly happy racing for fun...any points are just a bonus.
Quote from SamH :Okay.. question for you Titanium drivers.. wanna go back around?.............

For me personally, I'm not interested in going around again. I'm happy just to race on CTRA with a bunch of drivers i enjoy racing with.

Keeping up/improving my wins/podiums/yellow flags stats is enough motivation for me.

As Bean0 says, I'm happy racing for fun.
Quote from SamH :Okay.. question for you Titanium drivers.. wanna go back around? ...

no way, not for me either

it´s just that i think the decrease of points you get, depending
on the cars you drive is to heavy.

GTR to GT2 2:1 would be fair. but it´s more like 5:1.

i´ll probably never ever return to race 1, but it would be nice
to get some points for driving the gt2 cars, or the ufbr.

same with the single-seaters...
#59 - SamH
Okay cool, that's answered that question for me. I can stop thinking about that

I'm constantly revising the points algorythm to try and get it right. It hasn't been quite right for a long time. You guys know that I don't like giving points away unless they're earned.. but when they ARE earned, the points should be there!
Sam, Do you ever sleep? You make posts at all hours?
Opinion of drunk bloke who doesn't like the stupid UF Baby R: It's wank.

A front-wheel-drive car with no power and tonnes of grip? Where's the fun? It's the ultimate girls car and you're all girls and you should all go out and buy make up and hair serum and Coleuoure Expeurteee and starfish-flavour essential deep-cleansing navel masque with banana and horsechestnut.
#62 - Dru
Quote from thisnameistaken :Opinion of drunk bloke who doesn't like the stupid UF Baby R: It's wank.

A front-wheel-drive car with no power and tonnes of grip? Where's the fun? It's the ultimate girls car and you're all girls and you should all go out and buy make up and hair serum and Coleuoure Expeurteee and starfish-flavour essential deep-cleansing navel masque with banana and horsechestnut.

1st Opinion of a sober bloke talking to a drunk bloke..... go to bed

It's not designed as a car thats hard to drive, its designed as a car that good fun to race and rewarding when you do do well in it.

2nd Opinion of sober bloke to drunk bloke..... you seem to know an awful lot about femine beauty products
Quote from Dru :1st Opinion of a sober bloke talking to a drunk bloke..... go to bed

I suppose I should put cucumber on my face first though, right? Girly boy.

Quote from Dru : It's not designed as a car thats hard to drive, its designed as a car that good fun to race and rewarding when you do do well in it.

It's more rewarding to do well in a car that's hard to drive. I don't know what planet you're from, but here on earth a racing car is supposed to be a twitchy, over-powered monster that scares mere mortals half to death. My grandma could drive a restricted UFR, and she's been dead 15 years.

Quote from Dru : 2nd Opinion of sober bloke to drunk bloke..... you seem to know an awful lot about femine beauty products

I've seen telly. Apparently the most important anti-ageing ingredients are pentapeptides, although I've no more of a clue of what they are than any average housewife but that doesn't stop the stupid cows from spending money on them. And it doesn't stop the cosmetics companies from partnering them up with ginger and kippered herring for no apparent reason.
#64 - Dru
Kev, go to bed mate
I like you Dru. So I will go to bed considering myself the victor (well, not the Victor, but, y'know), and your girlified car a dark period in LFS history which you will be forever ashamed of.
meh, the night is still young
Quote from SamH :I'm constantly revising the points algorythm to try and get it right. It hasn't been quite right for a long time. You guys know that I don't like giving points away unless they're earned.. but when they ARE earned, the points should be there!

well let me give an example:

last night i did a few quite good ufbr-races and like i told, i got
4 points...

tonight i messed up quite every race on race 3 with the gtr´s.
well i hate the new patch and i do not have setups i can drive
with... however.
i got 15, 30, 40 points for poor races. 4th, 5th, 6th place crap.
i saw platinum driver getting 100+ points for a win (i saw 147 for
a 7 lap race on westhill).

ok, there were about 20+ races online, but only half of them
drove gt1. so i finished e.g. 2nd last (gt1) and got a lot of points for
this.

i think the points-balance need to be balanced

cut the higher licenced cars or push the lower licenced cars
for high licenced drivers

don´t take me wrong, i´m a bit sulky these days, because
i have a cold. i just should not have driven around tonight... no matter which server.
Quote from SamH :I concur

There is definitely a lot of skill to driving the UF-BR. The UF-BR teaches a different skillset from Race 1, which will become useful in Race 3 - how to avoid losing pace in corners and how to maximise speed on a straight by getting into slipstreams, position accuracy imperatives and many other very fine details that, if you don't master, you can't win. Since launching the UF-BR server, I've been absolutely delighted to realise what it adds to the learning process, that just hadn't been foreseen.

I agree.

Driving the XFG in the Race 1 server for a good few weeks, I've learned so much about driving fast. The key is to be as smooth as possible, and get on the gas and the traction down as soon as you can. It also doesn't hurt to have a good gear setup (which I'm still working on. I take pride in making my own setups. ).

I have also driven the UFR and must say I love it. Maybe I'm partial to fwd platforms, but I absolutely love speeding to the corner, turning in early while lifting the throttle, then floor it and just steer your way out with the rear end sliding out and pointing you to the exit. It's very rewarding to me. I'll be in the UF-BR server as soon as I get my requirements.
#69 - Dru
I'm going to have to agree with LB here that the points balancing needs to be sorted out a bit (and probalby to the deteriment to myself as well for sure...

To me it does seem that FAR too many points are handed out on the Race 3 server when compared to the Race 2 server and that lends the problem.

On an average race as long as the field is over 4 for the GT2's then the winner will get 60-100 points depending upon whether they are gold or platinum and how quick they are (also assuming they have a clean race with no yellows)

Trouble is on Race 2, you can races much trickier cars (imo) than a balanced GT2 and get way less points as a silver/gold driver....

It means people are jumping from Race 1 straight to race 3 which means good points for race 3 and a nice full server, but i just think that the points in Race 3 are a little too excessive compared to the race 2 and 1.

Als on othat point, I'm not sure there should be puishment for the higher licences in terms of points, and maybe on the highest servers (ie race 2 and) gold/platinum and titanium should all get the same points) or maybe just plat and titantium., otherwise all you are going to end up doing is gettnig a concatena (<-bad spelling of a musical instrument) effect where everyone at the top in the points ranking are on a similar amount

Just my 2 cents.

Dru.

#70 - Dru
Quote from thisnameistaken :I like you Dru. So I will go to bed considering myself the victor (well, not the Victor, but, y'know), and your girlified car a dark period in LFS history which you will be forever ashamed of.

lol.... I'm not ashamed at all Kev, at least whilst i'm awake, but it may explain those wierd nightmares I'm having about driving an LX6 around South City Chicane course, whilst trynig to put on mascarae on an using the drivers side wing mirror
Hmm point system.

Dunno. You do score high points on the GTR server. But as soon you make 1 yellow flag you points drop drasticly.
Maybe not more points over a 100. On a endurance day I once scored 211 points. Now thats a lot but it was a 19 lape race on BL1. I didnt had any yellow and had fastest lape. So is it too much ?.

I dont know, bcus 19 lapes on race 3 on GT1 on BL1 with a full grid is hard work. You put the effort in and you get rewarded.

Although considering the speed of GT1 and GT2 I think generally there should be more laps in a race. Like a 30 minutes race. Racers there are all very good and should be able to handle that. That way you dont have to alter the points. Then its all down to commitment.
#72 - VoiD
Quote from Dru :...Trouble is on Race 2, you can races much trickier cars (imo) than a balanced GT2 and get way less points as a silver/gold driver....

It means people are jumping from Race 1 straight to race 3 which means good points for race 3 and a nice full server, but i just think that the points in Race 3 are a little too excessive compared to the race 2 and 1.

Excactly my thoughts.

IMO it´s the best way to evolve your skills/license on Race#2 before racing on #3.

It should be the same way as on singleseaters. Survive the first server, earn your license and do the same on the next, higher server, repeat.

Conclusion: LRF and GT2 should be Gold and above.
i'm not so experienced in the race-licence, but when i go to my Gold, i recognized, that Gold is not rewarded atm by the system, i mean you dont get a new car class or so. this is one advantage of the ss-licences atm, every licence step you can drive a new car. but you are right, for me personally i never took a race in race2, i went from race1, over UF-BR to race3 and UF-BR is imo a good preparation for race3. i was very happy about the points raising, when you got the higher licences.

imo the ss-licences are hard to gain to InternationB, then you can drive unrestricted F08 on SS3, but SS2 is nearly empty all the time and i think it took ages to gain to international on SS1. i got more points practicing alone on SS3 compared to a victory on SS1, and really, i'm happy to not needed to drive on SS1 because of the lower racing standard (it's more important with the open-wheelers). on the other side, SS3 can only be driven by just 12 people atm, so it's very hard to get 4 at the same time on it
Ha, having a bronze-license I look at it quite differently:

I'm not really interested in points, it's just I want to drive different cars against good drivers. Therefore I need a higher license. And therefore I need points.

If I had an "access all areas"-license I wouldn't care about points for a second anymore.

Hey, what about a competition. Racing for licenses. 2 cars, the lower licensed driver (lld) can choose the cars. If the lld wins, he/she gets the higher license, and the higher licensed driver (hld) will fall back to the level of the lld (license swap, if you will). If the hld wins, he/she gets all the lld's points.
Or drive for whatever. That'd be cool.

...or you can spectate and bet your points/license on different drivers. (damn, that must be Vegas talking out of me :razz

by the way: trying to get silver on the race 1 server is kind of boring, really. I'm gad I discovered the baby-r races, and I'm glad my bronze-license is not worthless anymore.
Quote from Bandit77 :
...Hey, what about a competition. Racing for licenses. 2 cars, the lower licensed driver (lld) can choose the cars. If the lld wins, he/she gets the higher license, and the higher licensed driver (hld) will fall back to the level of the lld (license swap, if you will). If the hld wins, he/she gets all the lld's points.
Or drive for whatever. That'd be cool.

you should play nfs mate

this is the - by far - worst proposal i´ve ever read in here, but
these are just my 2 cents and everyone is free to explain his opinion

but getting back to the points-discussion: i think dru and void
are very right and i´d like to see some changes in the points
system, not just for the "high licencend" racers.

the "old system" was quite good, as we had 2 servers, one for
beginners with 2 cars on it and one more for silver+ drivers with
3 cars on it.

no, while we have the opportunity to choose between 8 different
servers and ... wooo a lot of cars, it needs a rework

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG