The online racing simulator
Servers in S1
(39 posts, started )
Servers in S1
Hey,
I have just bought S1 (and have also read the thread about there not being any servers) But I was wondering...
Is CTRA the only ACTIVE server? or is something missing?
Thanks in advance,
-Nathan
No man There are about 20 servers ,but they are empty
You have to change the seting of your server browser to see the empty servers And choose 1 of the empty and drive there.After a mininutes players connect.
Greetz See ya on the racing track
Quote from NathanRx-7 :Hey,
I have just bought S1 (and have also read the thread about there not being any servers) But I was wondering...
Is CTRA the only ACTIVE server? or is something missing?
Thanks in advance,
-Nathan

Yes, you must also consider that S1 came out nearly 4 1/2 years ago, so most have moved onto S2
Quote from moskvich3v1 :No man There are about 20 servers ,but they are empty
You have to change the seting of your server browser to see the empty servers And choose 1 of the empty and drive there.After a mininutes players connect.
Greetz See ya on the racing track

Yeah I know but sometimes they dont :P
Anyone know any private ones? lol
-Nathan
Quote from NathanRx-7 :Yeah I know but sometimes they dont :P
Anyone know any private ones? lol
-Nathan

Private ones will be just as empty, unless there is a league race going on. Your better off just buying S2
Quote from niall09 :Private ones will be just as empty, unless there is a league race going on. Your better off just buying S2

thats gonna be a week/2 weeks... Don't think I can live offline for that long. xD

-Nathan
Nathan, you can always call a S2 friend by msn and ask him to go to S1 with you
Quote from Racer556 :Nathan, you can always call a S2 friend by msn and ask him to go to S1 with you

I don't personally know anyone on LFS :/

-Nathan
A lot of people won't join a totally empty server. Try joining one yourself, and once people see there's someone in there, they should join you.
Quote from Crashgate3 :A lot of people won't join a totally empty server. Try joining one yourself, and once people see there's someone in there, they should join you.

As I said before, I do join servers by myself sometimes, and nobody comes.
I think it's lack of people who have interest in S1...

-Nathan
I would if it was with mrt
-
(ussbeethoven) DELETED by ussbeethoven
Quote from kamo2000 :I would if it was with mrt

"Don't gimme no 'empty servers' backtalk, sukkah"

Quote from ussbeethoven :Yeah, encouraging S2 drivers to populate S1 hosts would be nice, maybe an event could also organized to promote the "older" version a bit. I thought of something like '12h of Fern Bay' or an 'LX challenge'.

Scawen has recently mentioned that if an S2 server is running all S1 content, he would like to get it to show up in the S1 server list.

I am sure he will have a solution in the not too distant future.
Quote from MRSisson :Scawen has recently mentioned that if an S2 server is running all S1 content, he would like to get it to show up in the S1 server list.

I am sure he will have a solution in the not too distant future.

But isn't it unlikely that an S2 server would run S1 content?
Quote from NathanRx-7 :But isn't it unlikely that an S2 server would run S1 content?

no.

Half the cars and tracks are S1, so in theory, half of S2 servers could be S1.
From what I've understood, the problem isn't to make the servers show up with the S1-Servers, it's getting those S1 players off when the combo changes to something S2...
Quote from J@tko :no.

Half the cars and tracks are S1, so in theory, half of S2 servers could be S1.

Yeah, tracks fair dues, but what about cars?
Yep in CTRA server there are only two cars with we can drive XFG and XRG as good as DEMO players Why is this?
#19 - SamH
Quote from moskvich3v1 :Yep in CTRA server there are only two cars with we can drive XFG and XRG as good as DEMO players Why is this?

Honestly? It's because we developed the CTRA in 2007, for S2. Scawen asked us if we could do anything for S1 licenced racers, so we made our entry level server an S1 server. It's a pretty big compromise for us, considering the limitations on track availability in S1 compared with S2, but we figured it would be a stop-gap for S1 licenced racers while they saved up their £12 for S2. That's why it's running those two cars, because the alternative is to offer nothing to S1 licenced racers at all. We figured this option was more "giving".

[edit] I realise you can't see the full extent of the CTRA when running S1, since you can't see the other CTRA servers.. so have a look here to understand that the CTRA isn't just one server, but (I think) 8 in total.
Quote from SamH :Honestly? It's because we developed the CTRA in 2007, for S2. Scawen asked us if we could do anything for S1 licenced racers, so we made our entry level server an S1 server. It's a pretty big compromise for us, considering the limitations on track availability in S1 compared with S2, but we figured it would be a stop-gap for S1 licenced racers while they saved up their £12 for S2. That's why it's running those two cars, because the alternative is to offer nothing to S1 licenced racers at all. We figured this option was more "giving".

[edit] I realise you can't see the full extent of the CTRA when running S1, since you can't see the other CTRA servers.. so have a look here to understand that the CTRA isn't just one server, but (I think) 8 in total.

I don't fully understand you.
Why, in such a well known server(s), are there only Demo cars? They're VERY slow, and it is the only server in S1 that is active, so you might as well be in Demo servers.

-Nathan
#21 - SamH
Quote from NathanRx-7 :I don't fully understand you.
Why, in such a well known server(s), are there only Demo cars? They're VERY slow, and it is the only server in S1 that is active, so you might as well be in Demo servers.

-Nathan

Because Race 1 is our entry-level CTRA server, and XFG and XRG are the entry-level cars in our CTRA system. They always have been, since long before we began running Race 1 as an S1 server. We're not running those cars because they're demo, but because they're the first rung on the CTRA licence ladder.
Quote from NathanRx-7 :Why, in such a well known server(s), are there only Demo cars? They're VERY slow, and it is the only server in S1 that is active, so you might as well be in Demo servers.

The idea is that CTRA is almost rpg-ish, in that you must advance through the ranks. In doing so you advance through most of the S1 tracks pretty quickly, because there aren't many.

If you were then faced with the S1 tracks again, when you advance to the next CTRA licencing level, you'd probably be pissed off.

The thing is that there are other S1 servers out there that allow you to use the other cars and combos, yet they rarely have a soul in. Having a go at the CTRA admins for the combinations they choose to run, but not actually going to any of the other servers doesn't help the situation.

Yes, S1 is fairly pointless at the moment, and you are almost blackmailed into spending more on the next level of licencing. Unfortunately many don't and simply race offline because they feel that the server selection is poor. The simple fact is that there are enough S1 licenced racers out there, but they're just not all around at the same time.

Many server admins will happily run a combination for S1 racers, but see no point as it almost always sits empty (for instance one of my servers has been running an LFS S1 server, since patch 0.5Y and guess what? It's almost 99.9% empty). If you can pull those racers together, and back online in a very short amount of time you may well see a revival in S1 content.

On the other hand, it may also help if the LFS server code determined whether or not it was running S1 licenced content only, and adjust it's reported mode automatically. This would also help as there are S2 servers just running S1 content that you won't beable to see.
#23 - SamH
Quote from the_angry_angel :On the other hand, it may also help if the LFS server code determined whether or not it was running S1 licenced content only, and adjust it's reported mode automatically. This would also help as there are S2 servers just running S1 content that you won't beable to see.

Scawen was most of the way to making this possible with patch X (S1 servers became visible to S2 players), but I think there's a stumbling block which prevented completion at that time. I think Scawen will come back to this again before LFS S2 goes GM and *any* server running S1 content will be visible and join-able by S1 licence holders. The S1/S2 server classification will become fluid and change according to the combo being run rather than the mode that the server is launched in.
Quote from SamH :The S1/S2 server classification will become fluid and change according to the combo being run rather than the mode that the server is launched in.

Is this speculation or a solid insider fact Sam?
#25 - SamH
Quote from the_angry_angel :Is this speculation or a solid insider fact Sam?

Solid insider speculation, Karl

Nahh.. it's a fact that the desire is there, in Scawen. I know this to be the case. As to whether or not it *can* be achieved without massive re-writes, I don't think Scawen even knows yet.

Servers in S1
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG