The online racing simulator
.NET FrameWork SDK Documentation
(67 posts, started )
Anyone?????
Start VS2008, go to File > New > Project, select Empty Project, type a name for it and click OK.

Now make sure you have the Solution Explorer open (View > Solution Explorer), right-click on the project and go to Add > New Item. Select C++ File, enter a name for the file, and click Add. The file should now be open and you should have it listed under Source Files in the Solution Explorer.

Now copy in the following code:

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "Hello, world!" << std::endl;

return 0;
}

Once you've got that, go up to Debug and select Start Without Debugging. This should open a console window which prints the words 'Hello, World!' to the screen.
Quote from DarkTimes :Start VS2008, go to File > New > Project, select Empty Project, type a name for it and click OK.

Now make sure you have the Solution Explorer open (View > Solution Explorer), right-click on the project and go to Add > New Item. Select C++ File, enter a name for the file, and click Add. The file should now be open and you should have it listed under Source Files in the Solution Explorer.

Now copy in the following code:

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "Hello, world!" << std::endl;

return 0;
}

Once you've got that, go up to Debug and select Start Without Debugging. This should open a console window which prints the words 'Hello, World!' to the screen.

Just bud, I wont bother with the hello world as I have done it in the past, I am learning off of a CD, being shown what to put down as I learn better visually.
I have just put the corrected code in you have told me but when I go to build and run it, it doesn't open is says it has found an error, I have uploaded the build log so you can see what it says.
Attached files
Build Log.zip - 1023 B - 104 views
It looks like it's trying to output to a directory that doesn't exist. Check that "..\Release\" exists, and if it does, that demo1.exe isn't write-protected or such.
Quote from JamesF1 :It looks like it's trying to output to a directory that doesn't exist. Check that "..\Release\" exists, and if it does, that demo1.exe isn't write-protected or such.

No .exe files are in the release folder, how will I create a .exe file in Visual C++ if I cant build the the file?
You can't, but the problem described by the build log is that it cannot create the file in the release folder - for whatever reason. I don't have time to experiment now, as I have a Data Networks exam in the morning...
ok, anyone else have an idea what to do?
Can someone explain to me the difference between Visual Studio compiler and something like Dev C++?

Sorry for my noobiness
They just compile in slightly different ways/have different interpretations, and support different features. Think of it like web browsers that display the same information very slightly differently (not a good analogy, I know).

The compiler that Dev-C++ uses by default is MingW/GCC I think.

In general, the compiler that is being used makes very little difference - though there are sometimes some compiler-specific flags or peculiarities
Quote from sam93 :ok, anyone else have an idea what to do?

Anyone know how I can create the .exe file?
Take a breath and wait a while. This is an international forum - and it may take a number of hours before someone with the right 'expertise' is able to dedicate some time to helping you solve your problem. You don't need to keep re-posting, people will read what you've posted already, and if they can help - they will.
Quote from JamesF1 :Take a breath and wait a while. This is an international forum - and it may take a number of hours before someone with the right 'expertise' is able to dedicate some time to helping you solve your problem. You don't need to keep re-posting, people will read what you've posted already, and if they can help - they will.

I know, I am just a bit eger to keep on with it, as I am finding it very intresting.

w00t, half way to 1k posts lol.
Does anyone have the correct answer?
Try signing up to some beginners programmers forums (if you haven't already), there will be a lot more experience at those forums than here (not saying that we don't have good coders here, just that the majority of people here don't code, unlike a coding forum).
Quote from sam93 :Does anyone have the correct answer?

It looks more like a problem specific to Visual Studio, rather than a general coding issue.

Unfortunately I don't use Visual Studio, for various reasons, so I couldn't give you a definitive answer as to whats going on.

My suggestion would to be create a completely clean project that only contains the basic starting code (I assume that VS creates some default code). If that compiles and runs then it's an issue with your project setup and I would suggest simply moving the code you want to use into it.

It almost strikes me as if you're using a project file from a previous version of VS. I am aware of a few issues that supposedly occur when you do this, but as I said I don't use VS and therefore couldn't give you a definitive answer.
I posted some step-by step instructions earlier in this thread. Did you see if you could get the Hello World program to compile? If that doesn't work then I'd try posting on the Microsoft support forums or something, because I'm not sure what's wrong.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG