The online racing simulator
My Welcome Post
(27 posts, started )
My Welcome Post
Hi everybody,

I'm a 26 year old computer programmer from Portland, OR USA.

I have a 2000 Audi a4 quatro which I enjoy driving, but don't have the cash to put into racing for real. So over the last month I got interested in racing games. I got Dirt and enjoyed it a lot, but it just didn't feel right. So then I picked up Race 07 which was also a lot of fun, but while looking around for the MOST realistic driving sim I was obviously introduced to LFS. I love it!

I started mainly driving with the XFR since it's fast and agile, but decided I should drive with the FXO because it pretty much what my A4 is (even got a nice Audi skin on it until I have some time make my own) I've been sticking mainly to Aston National.. Like the mix of Long sections and the tight corners.

I've uploaded hotlaps for aston national for the FXO and XFR and since I joined after the Y patch stat clear I'm happy to have my times on the board (though i'd love to see more people put in times to really see how my times compare to a larger section of people)

I've gone online a couple times but haven't done a race (how long do you usaly hang around a server until it starts?). I also joined a cruise server for a few hours (enough to buy the second car) but it was pretty dead.. no cops and basicly just hung around to get a feel for the money gains etc.

I've read a bit on here about servers that are good to start on.. people recomend CTR servers I think it was.. so intend to pop on there sometime soon.

Oh and a side note. I have done some programming work with the Wiimote and if time and inspiration hit me at once, I plan on making a 6DOF head tracking setup that uses the wiimote IR camera (wiimote is better than those webcams becuase it is 1024x768 res, native IR, and tracks 4 points with onboard chip so it won't be hard on the computer)

so that's my introduction

--Jabin
Well, hello and welcome to S2!
Yes welcome mate, I think you'll enjoy it here
-
(JO53PHS) DELETED by JO53PHS
-
(AndroidXP) DELETED by AndroidXP
Quote from AndroidXP :?!?!? *cough*
You know, there's a nice little forum feature called PM...

Eh? were you trying to post that in a diff thread?
No he's just crazy...you'll get used to it.

Not really he was responding to someones post in this thread which seems to have vanished
Android is one of the most knowledgeable folks in LFS
What are you talking about?

Nah, but AlienT is right, there was a different post that vanished. Just like mine did now.
lol... lets not get my first thread locked for being too confusing...
Welcome to LFS, Have Fun
welcome to LFS buddy, always reminds me on the time i got myself a licence (while reading such threads) and was mainly driving the RB4 around SO1 & SO4 (South City Classic & Long )

have a nice time with lfs which im sure you'll do and cya on track
Welcome mate, and congratulations for finding the best sim out there!
You can say goodbye to your free time though

Really nice to hear first thoughts from a person like you in these days.
Quote from afastrunner :
I've read a bit on here about servers that are good to start on.. people recomend CTR servers I think it was.. so intend to pop on there sometime soon.

Yes, I think CTRA is a great place to start. Welcome!
spent the last 2 nights doing a bit of racing on CTR setup account password and that sort of thing. Seems to be fairly dead (3-4 people) during the time i'm usualy on (7-10pm pacific time) which is like 4:00 GMT
Quote from afastrunner :
Oh and a side note. I have done some programming work with the Wiimote and if time and inspiration hit me at once, I plan on making a 6DOF head tracking setup that uses the wiimote IR camera (wiimote is better than those webcams becuase it is 1024x768 res, native IR, and tracks 4 points with onboard chip so it won't be hard on the computer)

I am sorry to hijack your welcome thread, but do you consider programming the head tracking in a "VR" way (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw)?

As far as I am aware LFS already supports 6DOF when it comes to Track IR. But I just can't get familiar with the idea of turning my head away from the screen.
If you're a programmer you might want to look into InSim programming. It allows you to add a lot of functionality to the game, such as what you see in the cruise servers or CTRA servers. You can host your own server, and it could become quite successful if you can add InSim programs to it.
#15 - th84
Welcome aboard!
Nice introduction dude

Welcome to LFS, hope to see you on track sometime!
Welcome to the S2, and Audi is best car you can find on earth. I love them too.
Welcome
Hi and Welcome

CTRA is a great place to start your racing. Also feel free to join us on the [HR] servers anytime. Don't forget to ask for sets.

Oh and if your married try to take at least one night a week off to see if your wife still lives with you
Welcome, Get yourself on the CTRA servers they are the best out there, something there for everyone no matter what level of skill you are, you are bound to have some great battles . See you on the track...
Welcome to S2.

The CTRA servers are awsome.. The Race 1 can get a little crazy, but just go slow and when u get ur silver u are able to race on CTRA Race 2 which as the FXO on it Just remember, after practicing alot offline, you need to brake a lot sooner in turn 1 when ur online. especially if it is a hair-pin like SO-town.

Waiting to see you out there
Quote from RedQuad :I am sorry to hijack your welcome thread, but do you consider programming the head tracking in a "VR" way (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw)?

As far as I am aware LFS already supports 6DOF when it comes to Track IR. But I just can't get familiar with the idea of turning my head away from the screen.

I have some IR leds and stuff in the mail. should be here any day. basic 2DOF head tracking is simple and works fine, however getting full 6DOF (the pitch and roll of the head stuff) is going to require me to go back through some of my math books. The data is there from the wiimote, just need to work out the math.

As for CTRA I have been on the last few nights a bit earlyer and it's been plenty busy. Though on South City Clasic Rev i'm running 1:02s with just default HARD TRACK (side note my race_s is bugged and has that ghost passanger I just read about)... with most of the field running 1:00 flat-ish i'm way back... I'm sure a lot of it is setup since the other cars just seem to pull away on the straits more than through the corners... it's also doesn't help that the last 2 nights online is my first time in the XRF (think that's right)

oh and married.. nope..
Welcome to LFS S2!
Quote from afastrunner :As for CTRA I have been on the last few nights a bit earlyer and it's been plenty busy. Though on South City Clasic Rev i'm running 1:02s with just default HARD TRACK (side note my race_s is bugged and has that ghost passanger I just read about)... with most of the field running 1:00 flat-ish i'm way back... I'm sure a lot of it is setup since the other cars just seem to pull away on the straits more than through the corners... it's also doesn't help that the last 2 nights online is my first time in the XRF (think that's right)

It's XFG.

And you can find sets at these 2 places:
http://setupfield.teaminferno.hu/
http://www.my3id.com/gaming/lfs/setups
Quote from afastrunner :
As for CTRA I have been on the last few nights a bit earlyer and it's been plenty busy. Though on South City Clasic Rev i'm running 1:02s with just default HARD TRACK (side note my race_s is bugged and has that ghost passanger I just read about)... with most of the field running 1:00 flat-ish i'm way back... I'm sure a lot of it is setup since the other cars just seem to pull away on the straits more than through the corners... it's also doesn't help that the last 2 nights online is my first time in the XRF (think that's right)

oh and married.. nope..

Bob Smith made a little app that removes the ghost passanger:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=587825#post587825
I hope it helps.

My Welcome Post
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG