The online racing simulator
Clutch Starter Safety Switch ;)
In real life, road cars with manual gearboxes have a little safety switch. The car will not engage the starter unless you push the clutch. Even if you are in Neutral.

It would be a little cherry on top to have the road cars in LFS do the same thing, where to start the car "Press I" you have to hold in the clutch.
Most cars don't have that option, I don't know about USA but atleast not here. It's kinda lame to have switches like that.
^ I agree. Not alot of cars over here have them kind of switches, and i can only imagine them being on more modern cars. I doubt cars from the era that LFS's road cars are from will have that kind of feature.
Quote from Impreza WRX :In real life, road cars with manual gearboxes have a little safety switch. The car will not engage the starter unless you push the clutch. Even if you are in Neutral.

I fear that's only true in the US.
#5 - Renku
Quote from Impreza WRX :In real life, road cars with manual gearboxes have a little safety switch. The car will not engage the starter unless you push the clutch. Even if you are in Neutral.

Is that an American thing?
#6 - ajp71
I have never seen a car with such a pointless little device. In fact I have seen cars successfully bump started with the starter motor in first gear on cars without a clutch.

I'm glad to say that such a silly thing has stayed in a country where they have to write warning messages on mirrors and hasn't migrated across even to our big brother state.
I don't have one on my Leon
Never heard that there is that kind of feature in cars. Well, EVERYTHING is possible in US of A, I guess... Just wondering that WHY should there be that kind of option.

There is one plus for not having it: You can actually use starter to move your car. For example, if you are out of gas and have stopped right in the middle of railway junction...
#9 - Woz

It would be a little cherry on top to have the road cars in LFS do the same thing, where to start the car "Press I" you have to hold in the clutch.

I think that is US only. Even here in NZ where most cars are auto, like the US, the manual cars do not have that.
Correct - it's a USA thing! Can you guess why? It involves stupidity, the public and lawsuits.

Fortunately the rest of the world doesn't need them. Again, I'll let you work out what I mean
I remember asking the same question and getting the same response. It wasn't all that fun either, but yea lots of cars don't have that safety switch installed on them... There are a lot of Americans that are too dumb and would try starting in gear, run through their garage and then sue a car company because TOO many BLOODY people like to SUE for stupid reasons...

However, I do know there are a lot of tracks here in the US that require cars to still have this switch enabled - meaning if they had modified the car and removed the "Press clutch to start" detector/mechanism then it would be against the rules. I am not opposing the idea, however it would be very strange to all of a sudden need to push in the clutch if you don't normally need to!

Tristan: You beat me!
Can mods change the name of this thread to "Amerifag bashing"? </joke>
I know that most automatics won't start unless you are in neutral, but I have never seeen such a device on a manual.
#14 - Woz
Quote from tristancliffe :Correct - it's a USA thing! Can you guess why? It involves stupidity, the public and lawsuits.

Fortunately the rest of the world doesn't need them. Again, I'll let you work out what I mean

True. The country that let a woman take McD to court and win damages because she was stupid enough to put a hot cup of coffee between her legs while driving then wonder why she got burnt
Quote from ACCAkut :I know that most automatics won't start unless you are in neutral, but I have never seeen such a device on a manual.

Correction: They can also be started when they are on "P". I have owned one car with automatic transmission: Ford Taunus -81.
Quote from Gekkibi :Correction: They can also be started when they are on "P". I have owned one car with automatic transmission: Ford Taunus -81.

A lot of new-ish cars will only start in 'P' (Park) and when the brake pedal is pressed. More idiot-proofing, I guess.
Quote from MAGGOT :A lot of new-ish cars will only start in 'P' (Park) and when the brake pedal is pressed. More idiot-proofing, I guess.

That's possible, because if you start your car in N, it can start to roll forward/backward and hit something/someone and then everyone sues car manufacturer for permitting this kind of homicide-attempts.

Ok, this sounded like bashing. Sorry, amerifa...americans.
No, really, I don't have anything against americans. I hope/know they are smarter than they appear on the television.
A little off the original topic, but still near the current topic:

Its not that we are dumb - at least not all of us, and not all the time. I am sure every country / area has its share of people who didn't think at that moment and got caught on tape for everyone to see and laugh at... See Example But a lot of our darn precautions come from the fact that too many people are "Sue Happy". There was a elementary school in Massachusetts somewhere that is no longer allowing tag, or any other sort of childhood game that involves running... Because they are worried parents will sue because of a child getting hurt. That POOR generation! What are we doing to our kids? (or upcoming generations).

I can say I am sick of the "Ouch that hurt let me get $5000 and it won't hurt anymore..." type of atmosphere - should I move?! j/k I do enjoy living in the country but there are things that get to me, every place has ups and downs...

(By the way he was ringing a bell in the example if you didn't already know).
I have a feeling that the generation of kids growing up now is going to be so much worse than their parents are currently.
Quote from UncleBenny :I have a feeling that the generation of kids growing up now is going to be so much worse than their parents are currently.

That is a global problem, it doesn't concern USA alone. For example, in Finland these days kids has problems with alcohol, physical- (fatness) and mental health.

"It wasn't this way when I was young"(tm)
Quote from blackbird04217 :
However, I do know there are a lot of tracks here in the US that require cars to still have this switch enabled - meaning if they had modified the car and removed the "Press clutch to start" detector/mechanism then it would be against the rules. I am not opposing the idea, however it would be very strange to all of a sudden need to push in the clutch if you don't normally need to!

Got some kind of link to that? I can't imagine anything much more irritating than having to get into a car everytime you want to start the engine.

Quote from blackbird04217 :
Its not that we are dumb - at least not all of us, and not all the time. I am sure every country / area has its share of people who didn't think at that moment and got caught on tape for everyone to see and laugh at...

Thing is we laugh at them rather than rewarding them for their stupidity. It's not a safety measure, starting a car in gear isn't normally going to result in serious injury and unless you have the reactions or a particularly slow tortoise or are very tightly parked is unlikely to even result in you hitting anything. We should offer warnings and safety devices to prevent genuinely unforeseeable events that are likely to result in serious injury, not things that people could try and sue for.
Quote from ajp71 :Got some kind of link to that? I can't imagine anything much more irritating than having to get into a car everytime you want to start the engine.

I need to do this every time I get into my car, as far as a link no I don't have one. Although I am sure there are articles out there. I am at work ATM so I can't look around sorry...

Quote :Thing is we laugh at them rather than rewarding them for their stupidity.

Yes, but in laughing at them we spread it around and some people think thats the reward - but also some people are getting rewarded for their stupidity such as the "Hot Coffee" incidents where people burn themselves and sue, for a reward that they get.

Quote :It's not a safety measure, starting a car in gear isn't normally going to result in serious injury and unless you have the reactions or a particularly slow tortoise or are very tightly parked is unlikely to even result in you hitting anything.

No but in a garage, you could break things, or run your motorcycle over. Generally you wouldn't need reaction time not to cause damage as the engine will stall first. But I was giving an example of one of the reasons why I guess things are this way.

Quote :We should offer warnings and safety devices to prevent genuinely unforeseeable events that are likely to result in serious injury, not things that people could try and sue for.

I agree we should offer warnings to things that can create unforeseeable events and not just the "Warning: Your coffee is hot"... Its pretty dumb. I am sure soon there will be labels on all food saying: "Warning: You could choke on this" and people who are severely worried will die of starvation... Ok, so thats beyond stupidity (I sure hope).
Yes, they appear on all cars in the US after some time in the '80s but I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say it's useless. Everyone makes mistakes (If you don't congratulations) and If I have my 911 parked in front of some econobox It's nice to know that it's a little harder for that driver, who has been distracted somehow, to bump my car. Don't pretend it doesn't happen in Europe; I've seen what happens to cars in Italy.
Quote from GobLox :Yes, they appear on all cars in the US after some time in the '80s but I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say it's useless. Everyone makes mistakes (If you don't congratulations)

I can genuinely say I've never started a car in gear accidentally. I have let the clutch out forgetting it was in gear before though, which is a far worse mistake to make TBH

Quote :I've seen what happens to cars in Italy.

No that's got more to do with general complete disregard for traffic rules than difficulties starting
Driving school Yaris (current gen.) had that, 1st gen Punto doesn't have it.

Clutch Starter Safety Switch ;)
(228 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG