The online racing simulator
What is better for sims? PC or PS3
(67 posts, started )

Poll : What is better for sims?

PC
PS3
once upon a time, there was an argument about lfs vs gt. now i want your opinion!
PC IMO. The use of the mouse makes it easier.
stop making threads.
ps3 has and 8 core processor and polyphony made gt5 tailored to use all of that power to it's advantage.

pc's can be upgraded till kingdom come, but have low standards.
but PS3's are very powerful at stock, but can't be modded

that means, if LFS made Godly graphics and features, it would loose many followers simply because of the inability to play the game
PC is way better for SIMS. but obviously the PS3 is better for arcade games and many others... Even GT5 isn't that sim like, no damage, the cars feel heavy sum what like the FXR...

So PC for sims... And PS3 for arcade and any other games.
Quote from hrtburnout :I agree.

Stop bumping old threads as well.

Couldn't that be shortened to simply "stop posting"?
lol only PC and PS3 as an option?

PC has best simulations, and best wheel support.

Xbox360 though has the best console simulation --- Forza 1 and 2. PS3 doesn't even COME CLOSE to having a simulation.
Quality of realism vs fancy bling graphics.

Before I dived into the world of PC racing sims, I was a Gran Turismo nut, had it since it first come out. I remember paying £40 for GT1 when it first hit the shelves, now GT4 can be got for much less than that.

The big selection of cars and tracks on Gran Turismo is awesome, which is I think its main selling point along with fancy graphics. As a PS3 has all this fancy processor and what not in it, it's bound to look good.

PC's FTW now. Far more moddable, more realistic, far more actual sims to choose from. You might need all the latest equipment to play todays games but even they're shit. Old School wins hands down.

Just look at GPL, graphics are by no means upto todays standard yet the gameplay is second to none if you can get to grips with it. Same can be said about LFS really, it might not be running on DX9 and having HDR settings and whatnot, you need good gameplay before you start making it look pretty.

So to sum shit up, save your money and buy a decent PC instead of wasting so many hundreds on a console you can't really do shit with. For the price of a PS3 or Xbox 360 you could buy a decent gaming rig capable of playing todays games.
Quote from Matt0snap :PC is way better for SIMS. but obviously the PS3 is better for arcade games and many others... Even GT5 isn't that sim like, no damage, the cars feel heavy sum what like the FXR...

So PC for sims... And PS3 for arcade and any other games.

actually, polyphony doesn't WANT damage yet. I quote:
"we are not going to add damage to our games until we can do it in a way that is totally authentic"

They actually don't want half assed damage systems like other games

and @ tweeker, WTF, xbox has the WORST of the worst in racing and driving. it's so heavy and grippy, so arcadish, only thing forza cares about is what graphics you can have on your car.

and @hrt and DWB, the topics on the "new" section is not very interesting, that's why i post in old threads and start new ones.
lol, but in a online race with no damage....well... it sucks, all you have to do is barge every corner.. Even if the damage system is half-assed at least it will stop ppl from doing that.
Quote from atlantian :actually, polyphony doesn't WANT damage yet. I quote:
"we are not going to add damage to our games until we can do it in a way that is totally authentic"

You actually believe PolyPHONY's bullshit? My god, you really are gullable.
Quote from atlantian :actually, polyphony doesn't WANT damage yet. I quote:

Show me where they said that. I Google'd that quote, and no results even.
whoops voted ps3 :S its meant to be Pc
Gran Turismo will NEVER be realistic. NEVER. It wouldn't sell.

Sims are a PC thing, and will not be feasible on a PS3

Whoever thinks otherwise doesn't know what a sim is (or can't drive).
^here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... 6EOwg&feature=related

and ok, i am gullible so what? it's a reasonable excuse, besides, why would you want damage? besides a totally real damage system.
the reason that people chose to play sims instead of driving is because they don't want to wreck cars but they want to practice driving.(<-that might be a small population, but other people don't count, i have been driving real cars since 12; as ice T says:"**** the police")
Can you shush now?
^why would i? i am going to see what else i can troll out of you guys
I suppose that the best answer would be based on two factors, the first one being the different nature of arcades and simulations. Simulations require more CPU power because the behaviour of the simulator must be as close as possible to a specific ideal model, and the ideal model is - in this case - reality. This is a very complex task, and more accuracy requires more CPU power.

So, how does the PS3 compare to, for instance, a Pentium 4 2.6 GHz in terms of raw CPU power?
Take, for instance, this benchmark, Playstation 3 vs PIV. The PIV outperforms the PS3, and as of now is quite an old CPU.

Of course benchmarks have a limited meaning for a number of different reasons, and their results can be always disputed. But from what I'd see, since raw power is needed for sims, an old PIV is the winner in this case.

The debate on performance could go on for ages since it can be quite complex and prone to error, so any correction (and additional comparisons) would be welcome.

The second factor is the market, which influences different philosophies. For the PS3 is mostly plug in, switch on, play. For the PC it's quite varied since PC users are much more prone to using their computers for a lot of things, including gaming (and sims, of course). You have a much different user base, and this influences the production of differently aimed products. Therefore for PC users it may be much easier to cope with the hassles of a sim, since they already cope with the hassle of a PC because of the additional advantages on a console.

So the answer to the poll is - at least for me - is the PC, without a doubt.
Before i go into any of this, i would just like to let you know that i own a PS3, so in no way do i have a hatred towards the PS3.

@ atlantian. So what if the PS3 has 8 cores.(even though it only ever use's seven. One is reserved for redundancy anyway, so it has no use while playing a game) The PS3 is'nt as powerful as you think atlantian. For example, i have crysis on my PC, and i can run it on very high settings, with 8xAA and 16xAF, 2560x1600 res AND DX10, yet i can still average 60-70fps. Now, crysis will not be able to play on the PS3 at all (if crysis was available on the PS3...). Consoles will NEVER be as powerful as PC's. I mean yes, if you got a pc with the same specs as a PS3 processer and graphics wise (PS3 has a 3.2ghz processor, and 256mb gfx), then the PS3 will most likely beat the PC if you got them both the same game on the highest settings. This is only mainly due to the fact that a PS3 has a simple OS and not alot else to process while playing a game, yet a PC has numerous things like monitoring temps, keeping your OS running, keeping your graphics card running, and many other things that you dont know. Dont believe me? Press ctrl+alt+del and have a look at the long list off things it is processing in the "processes" tab. Thats what the PC has to keep running while your playing a game, yet i bet a PS3 does'nt have half the ammount of that. And while im shocked you disagreed with him (maybe you have'nt played forza?), tweaker is right. Xbox360 has the best console semi-sims/sims like forza. Forza feels alot better and more realistic than that crap they call gran turismo, plus, xbox games look alot better than ones for the PS3, as the xbox use's AA (it use's 4xAA in most its games afaik?) and yet even though i spent all this money on this bloody PS3, i am yet to see any game with AA. I know that all the ones i own for it atm dont have AA, which is a let down.

I love my PS3 to bits, its great to have my mates round, we all get drunk, play some music and play stuff like Juiced 2: HIN (VERY ARCADEY, but great fun ) with them, but for sims, its better just to boot up the PC. So, to answer your question atlantian, the PC is better for sims. Way, way, WAY better.

Oh, and stop making these stupid damn threads.
Quote from tristancliffe :Gran Turismo will NEVER be realistic. NEVER. It wouldn't sell.

Sims are a PC thing, and will not be feasible on a PS3

Whoever thinks otherwise doesn't know what a sim is (or can't drive).

Tristan said it right there. Normal people would throw the console controller in frustration if theres a game that comes even close to the types of sims that PC has (I have enough trouble with the Wii's crappy car controls). Sure, PC Sims are low on graphics. But really, no one cares about graphics when they play a racing simulation. As long as it's post 2003 shading then we're fine.
Quote from lizardfolk :Sure, PC Sims are low on graphics...

Thats the thing, i think the graphics look really nice in LFS, and i know it has alot more to give.

P.s which noob voted for PS3........
the gameboy, noobs.
#24 - Jakg
It has 8 cores so it MUST be faster.

:doh:
PS3 could be very good at a racing sim.
Think about it without jumping on the GTn is not a sim thing.

It certainly has the power for the physics calculations, the graphics capabilities speak for themselves, and a G25 works on it.

If someone were to make a proper sim for it, they could spend more time on the core aspects rather than making it compatible with chipset X, graphics card Y, soundcard Z etc.

(67 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG