The online racing simulator
road cars HP
(171 posts, started )
Quote from squidhead :I stand PWNED and yes, I'd love to see a 170+ bph 1.6 civic

Well, Ireland is flooded with japanese imports, because insurance and tax is ridiculously exspensive here, they're the best bang for buck cars you can get and prove very reliable too, so we know of nearly every japanese performance car there is because of this.
The '89-91 civic/crx came with a 157bhp 1.6 and '92-95 civic/crx came with 170bhp 1.6.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine
I think most people know that dynos are not really accurate, but they are still a good way, for the people who care about these things, to have a comparison of their cars against other cars that use the same dyno and at least a rough comparison against cars from around the world. I personally think they are most useful for tuning.
Just keep in mind too, that horse power has numerous variations in the way it is calculated. Even BHP has variations, like mechanical horse power (aka. "hp(SAE)" measured in ft.lb/min and used by SAE in most of the world) and metric horse power (measured in kg.m/s and used by the German DIN standard), and dynos can be applied to different parts of the engine or drive train with the flywheel being most common, but the fan is also used as the connection point in some standards.

Best to use kW in my opinion. You don't have to worry about the actual expression of horse power when using kW, only the method by which it is measured.
+1 for the muscle car i would want to see what its like
Hello im not saying that they should touch existing cars but I can welcome any new model with more hp or less weight, and they could do a remodel without touching existing models add cars with the same chassis and partial body but street legal. What is so bad to want more cars in the fz50 league? what about an fz50 turbo and some company.

Its to different to drive the GTRs lot of downforce and lot of grip from the slicks make then a completely different experience than a f40 clas car with like 470Hp and less than 1200kg (that is an xtreme) but I do want a supercar class (not dumbed dow High HP modern cars that weight more than 1600kg).

I know its difficult that they need to balance the cars with others but what is so wrong with 250-300hp per ton cars that we only have the FZ50?
Quote from samjh :Just keep in mind too, that horse power has numerous variations in the way it is calculated. Even BHP has variations, like mechanical horse power (aka. "hp(SAE)" measured in ft.lb and used by SAE in most of the world) and metric horse power (measured in kg.m/s and used by the German DIN standard), and dynos can be applied to different parts of the engine or drive train with the flywheel being most common, but the fan is also used as the connection point in some standards.

Best to use kW in my opinion. You don't have to worry about the actual expression of horse power when using kW, only the method by which it is measured.

You don't know what you're talking about, do you?

hp is measure in [wait for it] hp. NOT lb.ft, which is torque.
'metric horsepower', or PS, or Pferdestärke. Units are, cunningly enough, PS.

Most engine dynos connect via the flywheel. None connect through 'the fan' these days, as they are separate electrical items and cannot be used to determine engine output. Chassis dynos (not used by manufacturers) measure at the wheels, and have dubious methods of guessing the transmission losses that idiots think are accurate.

kW can be measure in different ways too, just as hp, and it's units are just as well defined. Personally, kW only means things for kettles, and Nm only means something during a calculation converting it to real units, and that's WITH an automotive upbringing. I can do km/h. I can do left hand drive. I can work in metric and imperial. But metric units for power and torque are not easily compared (and yes, you do want to compare them), nor intuitive for me.
Quote from Black92RS :Hello im not saying that they should touch existing cars but I can welcome any new model with more hp or less weight, and they could do a remodel without touching existing models add cars with the same chassis and partial body but street legal. What is so bad to want more cars in the fz50 league? what about an fz50 turbo and some company.

Its to different to drive the GTRs lot of downforce and lot of grip from the slicks make then a completely different experience than a f40 clas car with like 470Hp and less than 1200kg (that is an xtreme) but I do want a supercar class (not dumbed dow High HP modern cars that weight more than 1600kg).

I know its difficult that they need to balance the cars with others but what is so wrong with 250-300hp per ton cars that we only have the FZ50?

It'll happen soon enough... There's lots and lots of cars that could be added to the LRF class. More than enough of them different from each other and very fun to drive.
LFS is not restrained to real cars, it can add any cars imaginable, e.g. all the cars that would have been or would be extremely fun cars to drive, but never make it to the market or production for whatever reason (e.g. too small a niche target market).
Quote from Jakg :160 HP out of a 1,300 CC Engine?!

Well he did say that is now , technology eh?
Quote from tristancliffe :You don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Assume nothing.

Quote :hp is measure in [wait for it] hp. NOT lb.ft, which is torque.
'metric horsepower', or PS, or Pferdestärke. Units are, cunningly enough, PS.

Sorry for the error. I should have said ft.lb/min or ft.lb/s, not just ft.lb.

By the way, I'm not talking about units in common use, but mathematical definitions. For mechanical horsepower, that is distance in feet multiplied by force (in pound-force), over unit time. For metric horsepower, that is force (in kilogram-force) multiplied by speed (metres per second, naturally using metric units).

Quote :Most engine dynos connect via the flywheel.

Exactly what I said.

Quote :None connect through 'the fan' these days

A lot of tractors are measured this way, using the ECE R24 standard.

Quote :kW can be measure in different ways too, just as hp, and it's units are just as well defined. Personally, kW only means things for kettles, and Nm only means something during a calculation converting it to real units, and that's WITH an automotive upbringing. I can do km/h. I can do left hand drive. I can work in metric and imperial. But metric units for power and torque are not easily compared (and yes, you do want to compare them), nor intuitive for me.

It's a matter of personal tastes. I was educated entirely using metric units, from high school to university. No problems with juggling that sort of stuff in my head, as long as I understand the mathematics behind the units. Imperial units, on the other hand, I find difficult to manipulate.

I obviously live in Australia, and car manufacturers here generally use metric units, including kW and Nm. I presume the same is true for continental Europe and most East Asian countries.
Why are we stuck with OLD style measurements. Damned government, don't know how to implement change.
I thought only the US use KW.

Hp is the norm in asia and europe.
Quote from JJ72 :I thought only the US use KW.

HP when you're talking about Cars. But if you are talking about a generator, you use kW. In the USA.
Quote from JJ72 :I thought only the US use KW.

Hp is the norm in asia and europe.

Continental European manufacturers use kW. I know BMW, Mercedes Benz, and Renault all use kW. I'm pretty sure other European manufacturers also use kW.

Britain is an exception in that they prefer BHP.
Yes - 1 Horse Power is required to lift 33,000 LBS 1 Foot in 1 minute.... or 1LB 33,000 Feet in 1 Minute. That's how horse power is defined - If you change the Units you have to deal with conversions. The pound is actually a measurement of force, not mass, but here on the surface of the planet the conversions are pretty easy.

Metric Horse power is actually a different unit =/

And Drawbar Horsepower, Brake Horsepower, Net Horsepower, SAE Horsepower... and so on are just different prescriptions for how to make the physical measurements.

And just to clarify, many Higher horsepower Dynamometers use only the Inertia of the drum and calculate torque (Force) and Power ( [Force*Distance]/Time ) even though only the speed of the drum and time is measured. Until a few years ago I had never seen an Eddy Current Dyno that could measure more than 250HP (The kind you find in Emission shop garages mainly) but Dynojet is apparently making some very high capacity Absorption Dynos. When I think Dyno - I think Inertia =)
Quote from legoflamb :Why are we stuck with OLD style measurements. Damned government, don't know how to implement change.

Don't blame your government as the blame lies in the workers unions.
Quote from GobLox :The pound is actually a measurement of force, not mass, but here on the surface of the planet the conversions are pretty easy.

I thought it was the other way round? Hence pounds for mass and pounds-force for, you guessed it, force?
Quote from Bob Smith :I thought it was the other way round? Hence pounds for mass and pounds-force for, you guessed it, force?

That is correct.

Pound-force = 1 pound multiplied by gravitational acceleration

The problem is what "pound" and what "gravitational acceleration" to use. There are many different measures for the unit of pound, and gravitational acceleration varies depending on one's location on the earth. Generally, the pound is taken to be the International Avoirdupois Pound, equalling 16 ounces of the same standard, at approximately 0.4536kg. Generally, gravitational acceleration is taken to be Standard Gravity, at 9.80665 m/s^2.
Quote from Bob Smith :I thought it was the other way round? Hence pounds for mass and pounds-force for, you guessed it, force?

Believe it or not the pound is a measure of force - that's why if you go somewhere with “less gravity” it "weighs" less in pounds even though it's mass hasn't changed, just the force of gravity acting on it. The gram is a measurement of mass - a 16 Gram object on earth is a 16 Gram object on the moon.

... since power = (force*distance)/time, It always seemed to me that physics problems that used Pounds rather than Grams were easier =)

So, if it's not pounds, what is the Imperial measurement for mass? (bear in mind that pounds is used in Imperial equations where kilograms would be used in metric equations before making your reply, otherwise you might end up sounding silly).
Quote from GobLox :Believe it or not the pound is a measure of force - that's why if you go somewhere with “less gravity” it "weighs" less in pounds even though it's mass hasn't changed, just the force of gravity acting on it. The gram is a measurement of mass - a 16 Gram object on earth is a 16 Gram object on the moon.

You're talking about weight, which is a measure of force, expressed in Newtons.

Mass is unchanged regardless of gravity, and mass is measured in kilograms using the SI unit (not grams), or in pounds using the Imperial unit.
And in Imperial (not AF as I heard someone call imperial stuff at the weekend! Grrr) the standard unit of force is often pounds-force (lbf), which assumes the force of one pound under the influence of the standard acceleration due to gravity (32.174 ft/s/s)
Quote from Jakg :160 HP out of a 1,300 CC Engine?!

ok, so not quite 1,300cc but..

Quote :Engine:
Ford Cosworth BDA four cylinder, alloy head with 16 valves. Equipped with KKK turbocharger, boosting to 1.5 bar. Capacity 1427cc (80mm bore x 71mm stroke)

Output:
440 bhp at 9200 rpm

Not bad for the 80's eh?
Someone will reference 80s F1 Turbos - ~1500cc, I4, V6 and V8 engines (mostly), with 900hp in race trim, and up to 1500hp (reportedly, but NEVER confirmed) in 'qualifying trim'. Near LFS levels of turbo lag (but a rather larger hit in the back when it arrived).
Quote from robt :ok, so not quite 1,300cc but..

Not bad for the 80's eh?

Is that standard? No.

LFS cars have unrealistic options, but they are meant to be a stock hatch. Would you expect to see a 3rd Gen Golf GTi with that much power with such as small engine? What about an old Swift?

road cars HP
(171 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG