The online racing simulator
Annoyed
(31 posts, started )

Poll : What event do you want to see tommorow?

Closed since :
LX6 and LX4 at south city chicane
GT RACE at westhill
RB4,FXO,XRT at blackwood rally reverse
Fox on Aston National
BF1 at blackwood
Annoyed
well i bought a server because i thought people would like to race during the australian day instead of late at night, oviously i was wrong. i have hosted 3 events with only people coming from the server list turning up.

what am i doing, i plan these events, put them in the race calender inform the forum about them, for example today a fox event on aston national, no one turned up

so i ask the community
if im hosting an event tommrow at 1pm aus time (02:00:00 a.m. Tuesday January 15, 2008 GMT) what do you want to see
#2 - JJ72
LX6 and LX4 at south city chicane, if ping is good I would be in
Quote from hughesie89 :well i bought a server because i thought people would like to race during the australian day instead of late at night, oviously i was wrong. i have hosted 3 events with only people coming from the server list turning up.

what am i doing, i plan these events, put them in the race calender inform the forum about them, for example today a fox event on aston national, no one turned up

so i ask the community
if im hosting an event tommrow at 1pm aus time (02:00:00 a.m. Tuesday January 15, 2008 GMT) what do you want to see

Dont get annoyed, its not easy to get people to come to an event.

Firstly ask yourself why they should use your server rather than any other. There are over 600 servers on offer so you must try to make yours stand out so they pick it from the huge list.

When i started ConeDodgers my servers were empty so i asked people who i raced against on a regular basis on other servers to try my server. They said, we need this, that Etc, so i gave it to them.

Make sure your server stays the same combo so it appears in the same place in the list, if it changes from FBM to GTR to BF1 there will be no regulars as they will not find your server first.

Make the server name something simple to remember AND NEVER CHANGE IT.

Another thing to do is to get several people racing on the server all the time so it appears in the FULL list and soon people will join.

If one of my servers is empty, i search out a couple of mates and go and race on it. After a few minutes we will be joined by others.

Finally if the ping is 200+ from Europe and there are 10 servers with a 40 ping in the list why should they join?

Best of Luck
I just clicked the link to your website, then clicked server status

It takes ages to get a server half full, in our case thats 23 racers out of 47. Our average is about 25% so 10

Your server is only 13 slots so your average will be about 3 which is not enough to attrack others.

Your server is also set to PRIVATE so people cant open it up anyway

So to be fair you are stuffed before you start
Getting people to commit to any organised racing isn't easy, just because you have brought a server, and are offering racing, doesn't mean you will get people.

You are appealing to a very limited demographic, those that are in your timezone.

Unless you are offering something different, something that others don't offer, you will struggle.
i know just because i bought a server doesn't mean i expect people to suddenly come and i know the demographic is small.

also it's passworded now but during events it will be unlocked, or is it wise to always have it open and just advertise events in the welcome message?

also the server is hosted in the uk so most of the world (who would be asleep) well get a good connection
i shall take your suggestions on board, keep em coming
Hughesie

I find I'm a bit time poor so I generally log on in the evening say between 9-11pm AEDST, and generally only for an hour or 2. During the days I'm either at work, playing cricket, out with the missus or on the harbor.

If you planned a race for say a Thursday night, I'd go out of my way to make sure I'm available to race and come last.

Anyway, good luck and I hope it works out one way or another.

EDIT - I voted for LX6 and LX4 at south city chicane, but my first preference would be for LX6 and FZ5 at WE Intl.
Either way, odd combos FTW!

EDIT 2 - Ever think about getting a server hosted locally? Connections are sorted by ping, so if there's a sh1tty response time in Australia, your server is probably down the list a bit and won't get noticed.
Why did you rent a UK Server? most aussies get 200+ms from em, I get 400 myself o.O
because i couldn't find any aussie ones
Host your own? Its not hard. You only need 256kb's for 13 people...

People from aus would get 100-150.
Quote from farcar :Hughesie

IEver think about getting a server hosted locally? Connections are sorted by ping, so if there's a sh1tty response time in Australia, your server is probably down the list a bit and won't get noticed.

that's why i have to do everything via the forum

Quote from mathew4445 :Host your own? Its not hard. You only need 256kb's for 13 people...

it uses a lot of bandwith and the computer i have is slow just running one thread

+ i like having fast, internet
Hi

You dont seem to have given this that much thought. I agree (for the first time) with birder here.. It takes time and its not easy. When are you advertising your events..? How much time are you giving people to see them on the Race Calendar before they actually happen? What is the special thing that makes people think "oh I really want to go and choose that server out of the 600+ available.

The "Special" thing as far as I can tell at the moment is that you server runs with 13 slots..

The Public/Private thing.. Surely you have that the wrong way around.. In my experience, if you want your server full, run a popular combo on a public server until you get regulars, then go for organised events on a private server.

Finally.. Even in Australia.. Dont people work in the day time? Would the peak point not still be in the evening for the Australia Community?

My 2p.
yeah that is a rather valid point
and i understand about the regulars, and in two weeks i go back to school and will be only able to race on friday night (which is when the real events that are in the info sheet) are planned for. but during this time i want to get "team ka's server" in the vogue of the lfsforum, despite being a rather small server.

god it sounds like a speech

People of Earth, or australia

when do you want your great event?

options are

12pm-2pm (starting times
3pm-5pm
6pm-8pm
or later?
Quote from mkinnov8 :Finally.. Even in Australia.. Dont people work in the day time?

Not if we can help it

In reality yes we do and for me also most weekends work doesn't stop me visiting the forums though
Quote from Glenn67 :work doesn't stop me visiting the forums though

Tell me about it... I wish the moderators could ban me during the weekday's from 8-5 so I can actually get my work done
Quote from mkinnov8 : I agree (for the first time) with birder here..

Happy days..................
The LXs at SO6 is by far the nicest combo there, unfortunatley you won't see me because the time zones are completely wrong
the settings have been applied to the server we now just need a starting time

ok
here is all the details

Event Qualifying Starts at: 5pm GMT +10
and the race is 15 laps of South City Chicane Route with LX6+LX4'S

Teamspeak is avalable and i would like you to use it, as it helps with marshelling, if not i can understand.

Server Name:[url="lfs://|Team+KA+Racing+Server|1|S2|/"]Team KA Racing Server[/url]
Teamspeak:195.78.83.8:8786
[url="http://www.lfsworld.net/pubstat/live_progress.php?host=Team+KA+Racing+Server"]LFSWorld Link[/url]

oh, it seems someone forgot to lock the server
you might be able to sneak a practise in
waiting on people, one person has turned up
See my post above, TBH mate, you are flogging a dead horse, you need to offer people something that they can't get elsewhere.......
The problem is for us Aussies is that the server is hosted in the UK, so for a lot of us the ping would be around 2-250, which really isn't all that playable.

That being said mate, what's the server name, if I see it in the list i'll pop in for a spin.
team ka racing server
ts is:195.78.83.8:8786
Quote from danowat :you need to offer people something that they can't get elsewhere.......

i thought

lx6+lx4 on south city chicane was it
and offering moderated racing AND teamspeak
Nope, it's nothing new, I remember we hosted an event using the LX4 @ South City, ln the weekend, at a peak time, AND offered prizes, and we still didn't fill the server.

Trust me, the call for organised racing isn't really there.

Annoyed
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG