The online racing simulator
School + lfs = :D
(42 posts, started )
At my brother's school some kid downloaded Doom to the system so it could be played from any computer in the school. My brother claimed that when he played it at least 3 servers were running all day, and they were full. The school eventually deleted all of the Doom files except for one. Someone had hid the game in a Woodshop file on a computer. A matter of a week later and everyone was playing Doom again. The school hasn't tried anything to get rid of it again. I guess they gave up.

If I tried one blessed thing at my school I wouldn't be able to do it. The computers are too slow and the security system has been known to even block Google Images.
We had no computers, back then, when I went to school. The biggest progress in technology was the pocket calculator. That early calculator costed the same as a computer today

So I didn`t even own a calculator

Did i mention that i started in school in 1963
Quote from Migz :i expected it to run at a low fps because of all the other computers on,

How would that work?
I did that at school once. drifted, raced for 20 mins, even went online and caused bandwidth issues for the rest of hte network . Now I can't get it working again. somone deleted winzip :/
#30 - Migz
Because when there are lots of computers on, the school network runs slow.
Well not the whole school network, just the computers in the room.
So if 24 computers are running photoshop, because its such a demanding programme it makes the computers run slow.
So when i played seeing as people were using programmes i thought the network would be to slow to play it.

I tried lfs again but in photography where everyone had photoshop open and it only ran at about 5 fps.

@rappa z: yeah our school does that, first of all it blocked google images, then google, then yahoo images. And now we've got some unbelieavbly useless site to search for images called www.picsearch.com

Go on it, its so useless the pictures you get are all tiny.
LFSworld is blocked, yet if I turn safe search on goolge off it doesn't do anything.
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :I did that at school once. drifted, raced for 20 mins, even went online and caused bandwidth issues for the rest of hte network . Now I can't get it working again. somone deleted winzip :/

Your school network feel to its feet because one copy of LFS was running online?

If there's one thing I learnt from school, it's that their networks are AWFUL. I've never experienced worse networks, and hopefully never will
I remember (This is getting all the old farts going "Oh, I remember when.." ) sneaking into the computer rooms at school at lunchtime to play 'Lander' on the Acorn Archimedes there..

#34 - shim
over 10 years ago i was playing Descent over the school network over lunch time..

i miss that game..
Quote from J@tko :My school has a big Quake 3 problem.

At lunchtimes there are huge lan games going on over the network, with people having some names that I'd rather not repeat here!

The teachers are onto them quick tho - there the only ones who are staring at the screen, left hands on cursors and right on mouse!

Your problem is Quake 3? At the school I support we get humouros numbers of copies of Unreal Tournament turning up everywhere - but yes, Lunchtimes is a good time to play LFS on the laptop

Nick
Quote from Migz :Because when there are lots of computers on, the school network runs slow.
So if 24 computers are running photoshop, because its such a demanding programme it makes the computers run slow.
So when i played seeing as people were using programmes i thought the network would be to slow to play it.

Wrong or coincidence. Programs on individual PC's do not affect the overall speed of the network, it was probably a slower machine that you tried to play LFS on - the network won't slow down even if the computers had 40,000 copies of Photoshop running.
-
(hugoluis) DELETED by hugoluis
Quote from Migz :Because when there are lots of computers on, the school network runs slow.

I tried lfs again but in photography where everyone had photoshop open and it only ran at about 5 fps.

Quote from dontpannic :Wrong or coincidence. Programs on individual PC's do not affect the overall speed of the network, it was probably a slower machine that you tried to play LFS on - the network won't slow down even if the computers had 40,000 copies of Photoshop running.

The computers will run slow if the programmes are on the network and not on each induvidual PC (as they are at my school - apart from Q3! )
J@tko I see your in Rutland, which school do you go to?

I used to go to Stamford College. We used to play cs over their network, it was definitely forbidden but we always found a way. They even banned those flash game sites.
and i thought playing sim city 2000 and lemmings at school was cool lol and that bad ass tank war games but when i was at school we had the big old multi color macs them were the days building cities then sending disasters to kill them.
Quote from J@tko :My school has a big Quake 3 problem.

At lunchtimes there are huge lan games going on over the network, with people having some names that I'd rather not repeat here!

The teachers are onto them quick tho - there the only ones who are staring at the screen, left hands on cursors and right on mouse!

same some guy brought a pendrive into school with quake3, within minutes there were 20 of us lanning it up
Quote from hardcoreobscure :J@tko I see your in Rutland, which school do you go to?

I used to go to Stamford College. We used to play cs over their network, it was definitely forbidden but we always found a way. They even banned those flash game sites.

Ha - I go to Stamford School. The playing fields are behind the college! What a coincidence
Quote from Mika_Raymond :same some guy brought a pendrive into school with quake3, within minutes there were 20 of us lanning it up

What happenned here too I think. People were hiding it in the Geography folders on the school network, including a word document called 'bobjim'. (It's an all-boys school - you can guess what it was, all 10MB of it ).

That got found out, but some people have managed to install it on the computers that are invisible to the teacher's
lol i think i might take LFS in tomorrow on my usb pen and see how it goes xD

School + lfs = :D
(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG