The online racing simulator
assists and realism in LFS
(122 posts, started )
Quote from farcar :Why are people so shocked and surprised when it does?

It's PPSD (Post Patch Stress Disorder). As long as it's dealt with understanding and a degree of empathy, rehabilitation is entirely possible.
Quote from tailing :I don't see the problem in allowing auto-blip for combined axis users only, it's a controller option, not a realism issue in my opinion.

How can it be a controller issue, when it is how the devs intended the cars to be realistically driven?

Thats like saying that the FIA let some F1 teams have traction control because their cars are harder to drive without it, therefore making it easier to compete with teams that have better power delivery.
Quote from tailing :We are also free to question the devs about their decisions in a reasonable manner as JeffR has done and they have shown they are quite reasonable in listening to and considering community feedback.

Of course, offering constructive critism is a good thing.

However, the phrase, flogging a dead horse springs to mind with this issue.
-
(SabersKunk) DELETED by SabersKunk
Quote from JeffR :Racing brakes, being designed for racing, won't fade unless there is some type of failure.

That failure being that the driver uses them?
Where do you get these "facts"? I mean I'm not the best authority on racing but even I know basic thermodynamics.
Do you even know what causes brakes to fade?
Quote from JeffR :
Racing brakes, being designed for racing, won't fade unless there is some type of failure. The stock brakes on many standard road cars will quickly fade after just a few laps under race conditions.

Like I said, every material has its limits, just because they are made for racing doesn't mean they cant over heat. Brake fade doesn't have to happen within "a few laps" and is more than just heat.

Edit:
Here is an explanation of the different types brake fade.
[note green fade and fluid fade]

http://www.se-r.net/car_info/brake_performance.html
This argument is irrelevant.

There are warnings all over the place that LFS is still an ALPHA product, meaning features will be added and removed and altered and messed around with before it gets a final release. You can't then go on to complain when a new feature gets added or removed, or you find something you want that's missing.
Quote from Polyracer :How can it be a controller issue, when it is how the devs intended the cars to be realistically driven?

Your assuming that is the devs intention, for all we know it was a quick fix and they already plan to re-implement auto-blip for people without separate axis for throttle/brake (unless I missed a specific statement from the devs otherwise). It's a worrying trend lately that some outspoken members of the community feel they have somehow become an authority on why the devs do what they do.
The reason I don't see it as a realism issue is because it's obviously not realistic for someone to use a joystick to play LFS. To then argue auto-blip is not a realistic option for what is already an unrealistic controller is bordering on the absurd.
Joystick users can't blip the throttle themselves so I don't have a problem if they are allowed a specific aid to do this for them as long as it's not so effective that it gives an unfair advantage.
ah, JeffR, you talked about Real Life assists. Well, be aware that those are there on the cars that have them GTR's have Inyection Cut (auto blip xD), and FZ5 and BF1 have both Traction Control.

just that to point, also, remember the game isn't finished yet and it's a nice thing to do on thinking about other's problems
#34 - Woz
Quote from tailing :Your assuming that is the devs intention, for all we know it was a quick fix and they already plan to re-implement auto-blip for people without separate axis for throttle/brake (unless I missed a specific statement from the devs otherwise). It's a worrying trend lately that some outspoken members of the community feel they have somehow become an authority on why the devs do what they do.
The reason I don't see it as a realism issue is because it's obviously not realistic for someone to use a joystick to play LFS. To then argue auto-blip is not a realistic option for what is already an unrealistic controller is bordering on the absurd.
Joystick users can't blip the throttle themselves so I don't have a problem if they are allowed a specific aid to do this for them as long as it's not so effective that it gives an unfair advantage.

So you have forgot the time when the old "perfect" keyboard aid was removed. Keyboard is hard to drive with and have good control, the old system was fantasic. You pointed the car and it did the rest, never a foot wrong. That was removed and replaced with what we have now, something that made LFS far far more difficult to "drive" with a keyboard.

The old system have never come back and those fights made this look a tiny change.

This is a minor change compared to that. Can you see it coming back?

You have been around LFS long enough to see huge change to know how the sim works. Come on, be honest.
Quote from tailing :Your assuming that is the devs intention, for all we know it was a quick fix and they already plan to re-implement auto-blip for people without separate axis for throttle/brake (unless I missed a specific statement from the devs otherwise). It's a worrying trend lately that some outspoken members of the community feel they have somehow become an authority on why the devs do what they do.

Hmmm! outspoken eh?
Don't you think the devs thought long and hard about this before implementing the changes? - you reckon they're thinking maybe "hey guys we made a mistake here, lets change it back again", I doubt it.

Sure I've not been here for more than a few weeks, but the reason I like the sim and am likely to stay is because I can see where they are going with this -and I don't think that Keyboard joypad or stick users are the priority, do you?

I'm in business too - and have been for almost forty years, I have never gone back on a decision I made - because I thought long and hard about the cosequences before I made those decisions.

I reckon that the LFS devs do the same, - I see this sim getting harder and more realistic as time goes by, and most peeps here seem to think so too.
You may always be able to play the game with compromised controllers, but ultimately it will be the wheel users that will always be the priority, and in a simulation, thats how it should be.
Quote from Polyracer :Hmmm! outspoken eh?
Don't you think the devs thought long and hard about this before implementing the changes? - you reckon they're thinking maybe "hey guys we made a mistake here, lets change it back again", I doubt it.

Sure I've not been here for more than a few weeks, but the reason I like the sim and am likely to stay is because I can see where they are going with this -and I don't think that Keyboard joypad or stick users are the priority, do you?

I'm in business too - and have been for almost forty years, I have never gone back on a decision I made - because I thought long and hard about the cosequences before I made those decisions.

I reckon that the LFS devs do the same, - I see this sim getting harder and more realistic as time goes by, and most peeps here seem to think so too.
You may always be able to play the game with compromised controllers, but ultimately it will be the wheel users that will always be the priority, and in a simulation, thats how it should be.

You, sir, sound like just the sort of person LFS wants! Hurrah to you - have a cup of tea won't you? But do try to avoid York, as Kev gets overexcited with new people around here.
Quote from tristancliffe :You, sir, sound like just the sort of person LFS wants! Hurrah to you - have a cup of tea won't you? But do try to avoid York, as Kev gets overexcited with new people around here.

As a Yorkshire lad - a cuppa sounds nice, just the one sugar.

Plenty of tomato sauce on that bacon sarnie tho lol
Quote from Polyracer :Plenty of tomato sauce on that bacon sarnie tho lol

If people's birthdates are to be believed, that makes at least two people on these forums that are over 50 and use the term "lol".

What is the world coming to?
Quote from Bob Smith :If people's birthdates are to be believed, that makes at least two people on these forums that are over 50 and use the term "lol".

Hehe (lol),
When I was a kid, our toilet was at the bottom of the yard, coal was delivered on a horse and cart, I wore short pants (till I was fifteen actually), it snowed in winter and we dreamed of global warming as the frost formed on the windows of my bedroom.
Telephones were all big and black - the nearest thing to a Playstation was hopscotch or whip and top.
and we walked to school alone - which was two miles away.

Eggs had a lion on them and my dad took his snap to work in an OXO tin with two big black rubber bands to hold the lid on, - I could go on but now I feel really old.
(lol)
Quote from Bob Smith :If people's birthdates are to be believed, that makes at least two people on these forums that are over 50 and use the term "lol".

Is there an age limited to the words "LOL" and "WOOT"?, I am 34 this year, I and still use them

Although, I very, VERY rarely use "LOL" in "real life", but the term "WOOT" I use a fair bit.
#41 - Woz
And I just passed that big 40 w00t

lol
I'm not really a big fan of lol. I prefer haha personally.
Quote from danowat :Is there an age limited to the words "LOL" and "WOOT"?, I am 34 this year, I and still use them

No worries. I didn't even start using w00t until i was 34. I'm going to move on to replacing 's' at the end of words with 'z' next year
dude... what's wrong with adjustable suspension, just imagine you have a freely moddable suspension system, as typically, a suspension system is what you should first invest in racing
Oi, stop dragging this thread back on topic.

I sometimes use "z0rz" on the end of words to wind add emphasis, when amongst geeks. It gets annying quick and generally makes me sound like a prat but that is to a certain is the effect I'm after; I don't say it with any seriousness. It's my way of laughing at the people who do.

I do hate "lol" with a passion though, I makes me think peolp whe say it are mentally 12.
Can someone explain to me the difference between a combined axis pedals and ones that aren't combined axis

Im confused
#47 - Jakg
Quote from Bob Smith :I do hate "lol" with a passion though, I makes me think peolp whe say it are mentally 12.

lol
you only get this issue with controllers or wheels. it's when the driver is crap and it merges your triggers or pedals together into one long axis and forces you to use the throttle and brake combined... the fix is usually a long winded 3rd party driver that would be glitchy and otherwise hasslesome to fix. with the XBCD 360 0.25; i can't even use the clutch in lfs, even if it shows up fine in the setting tests. so now i am stuck with the merged axis and microsoft driver
Quote from Jakg :
Quote from Bob Smith :I do hate "lol" with a passion though, I makes me think peolp whe say it are mentally 12.

lol

How fortunate you only typed and didn't actually say it!
There's nothing more eye-roll inducing than riding the bus to work and hearing two teenagers 'loling' at each other :rolleyes:

Geez, I mean if you 'lol' at your friend in a self-ironic way then you're at least just a huge dork, but spouting it out in a serious way without realizing how much of idiot you are for doing it takes the cake. If you ever find yourself using 'lol' in a normal conversation, just shoot yourself already. It's for the better of everyone, believe me.
lulz, this is so funny!

assists and realism in LFS
(122 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG