The online racing simulator
RIAA sues for ripping music
(62 posts, started )
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ ... 2/28/AR2007122800693.html

It seems the corporate dinosaur that is big record companies are busy committing suicide again. We can hope that metaphorical asteroid isn't far off now.

I imagine we'll soon be seeing lawsuits against people listening to music they've bought as actually playing it is 'a nice way of saying "steals a copy and puts it into the air"'.
Quote from Crashgate3 :http://www.washingtonpost.com/ ... 2/28/AR2007122800693.html

It seems the corporate dinosaur that is big record companies are busy committing suicide again. We can hope that metaphorical asteroid isn't far off now.

I imagine we'll soon be seeing lawsuits against people listening to music they've bought as actually playing it is 'a nice way of saying "steals a copy and puts it into the air"'.

the only thing i can say: STUPIDITY

thinking that way, backup copies are illegal too.
Quote from jonny__27 :the only thing i can say: STUPIDITY

thinking that way, backup copies are illegal too.

It is in a lot of countries. The law is set to change here to make it legal though, which is nice.
It seems you all missed the correction at the top of the page:

Quote :Correction to This Article
A Dec. 30 Style & Arts column incorrectly said that the recording industry "maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer." In a copyright-infringement lawsuit, the industry's lawyer argued that the actions of an Arizona man, the defendant, were illegal because the songs were located in a "shared folder" on his computer for distribution on a peer-to-peer network.

The rest of the article makes it quite clear that the record companies don't care if you make a copy of a CD or rip it to your PC for your own personal use. They only get irritated when people distribute their copyrighted works to others free of charge.

I have no problem with these lawsuits. All the music I have was legally purchased on CD and I've got no time for freeloaders who think they have a right to steal music. I used to be one of those freeloaders, but a few years ago I got rid of all my downloaded music and started buying CDs.
Quote from StewartFisher :It seems you all missed the correction at the top of the page:

The rest of the article makes it quite clear that the record companies don't care if you make a copy of a CD or rip it to your PC for your own personal use. They only get irritated when people distribute their copyrighted works to others free of charge.

I have no problem with these lawsuits. All the music I have was legally purchased on CD and I've got no time for freeloaders who think they have a right to steal music. I used to be one of those freeloaders, but a few years ago I got rid of all my downloaded music and started buying CDs.

Under current UK law it is illegal to rip your own CDs, but they want to change it linkage.
#6 - Gunn
MP3 players must me made illegal then. Sony, for example, makes devices capable of recording and storing music and movies. It's what the devices were designed for, yet they also own recording companies and also support suing people for putting recorded music and movies on the very devices that they designed specifically for that purpose!

There are three issues that are always thrown together: copying, sharing and piracy. Piracy involves profiting from a copy, sharing involves distribution of a copy and copying is simply making a copy.

If you buy a CD, back it up on a blank disc and use it in your car mp3 player you have not distributed not profited from the exercise. Unless the RIAA can prove that you distributed the copy (either for profit or for free) they are just being bullies. I have ripped all of my CDs to MP3 and I don't share or sell the copies.

If these recording companies want to say that a copy is illegal, they had better stop production of all recording or storage devices that are marketed for that purpose. No more MP3 players, no more hard disk DVD recorders, no more paid digital downloads of music and movies.
Quick - Sue Microsoft - they provide CD ripping facilites built into Windows (via WMP)!!!!!! If enough of us do it, we can share the cash and be rich! Or not.
Quote from tristancliffe :Quick - Sue Microsoft - they provide CD ripping facilites built into Windows (via WMP)!!!!!! If enough of us do it, we can share the cash and be rich! Or not.

agree.....or Apple... with iTunes..... and omg... limewire and the torrent finders and downoladers... there's where all that music come from...
Well if you want to get really anal about it, if you just whistle a song in public you are in breach of copyright unless you paid royalties.
This just in: RIAA sues people who buy CDs!

Also:
Attached images
riaa.jpg
Whats next? You have to buy two CDs if you want to listen to a song with your friend?
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Well if you want to get really anal about it, if you just whistle a song in public you are in breach of copyright unless you paid royalties.

stop giving the riaa ideas for new lawsuits
If these idiot record companies had got with the times ten years ago when the first mp3 players came out and got into online sales of their music, long before Jobs had a brainwave & cornered the market with iTunes this wouldn't be an issue. If, right now, they stopped chasing uni students who share mp3s and put some serious time & effort into making their entire catalogues available for purchase online (DRM & restriction-free) they'd make so much cash they wouldn't need to be chasing kids around.

Radiohead may have been laughed at by some people for saying "pay what you want to download our new record", but they made more money doing that than they did combining all the online sales figures of all their previous records. What that says to me is (a) EMI are greedy arseholes and (b) people are basically honest and are happy to pay for the things they want. Treat them like criminals and they'll continue to act that way, say "screw you" and rip whatever they want, using WMP, iTunes and every other legally-obtained software program out there.
long live oink!!!!

Quote from Hankstar :If these idiot record companies had got with the times ten years ago when the first mp3 players came out and got into online sales of their music, long before Jobs had a brainwave & cornered the market with iTunes this wouldn't be an issue. If, right now, they stopped chasing uni students who share mp3s and put some serious time & effort into making their entire catalogues available for purchase online (DRM & restriction-free) they'd make so much cash they wouldn't need to be chasing kids around.

Radiohead may have been laughed at by some people for saying "pay what you want to download our new record", but they made more money doing that than they did combining all the online sales figures of all their previous records. What that says to me is (a) EMI are greedy arseholes and (b) people are basically honest and are happy to pay for the things they want. Treat them like criminals and they'll continue to act that way, say "screw you" and rip whatever they want, using WMP, iTunes and every other legally-obtained software program out there.

100% agree, good post
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Under current UK law it is illegal to rip your own CDs, but they want to change it linkage.

I am aware of that, but if you read what I posted, the article makes it very clear that music companies are not attempting to prosecute people who do this.

Hankstar is, of course, correct in his assertion that the music labels have missed out on massive profits from early adoption of DRM-free downloads. However, that's entirely their own choice and it is their right to run their business as they see fit. Just because people don't agree with the way record companies run their businesses doesn't mean they have the right to steal music.
How I love not living is the USA

Seriously, their copyright enforcement there is ridiculous.

>I imagine we'll soon be seeing lawsuits against people listening to music they've bought as actually playing it is 'a nice way of saying "steals a copy and puts it into the air"'.

Sadly that might even happen
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Well if you want to get really anal about it, if you just whistle a song in public you are in breach of copyright unless you paid royalties.

This is the cause of a lot of the muted parts on the coverage of Big Brother *spits*. As soon as a housemate whistles or sings a song, then then get muted.
Tell me now - how exactly do they find out if you have ripped a CD or not? Are they extracting personal info from people's PCs?

And more importantly - in this day of MP3 players, how exactly are you expected to transfer files from that new CD to your new MP3 player?

Car companies can't tell you not to take your car to pieces after you've paid for it, why should record companies get to tell you what to do with something you own?

Bollocks, is what that is. It'll never get legs.
Quote from StewartFisher :Just because people don't agree with the way record companies run their businesses doesn't mean they have the right to steal music.

Not having the right is not the same as not having the desire. People have demonstrated the desire, created the opportunity, and indulged it freely.

The record companies have to come to terms with the way that the market is being shaped by its consumers. I mean, do they want to sell music or do they want to become policemen?

If its the latter, then **** them. Bring on the noise.
Quote from Dajmin :Tell me now - how exactly do they find out if you have ripped a CD or not? Are they extracting personal info from people's PCs?

And more importantly - in this day of MP3 players, how exactly are you expected to transfer files from that new CD to your new MP3 player?

Did anyone actually read the article? The RIAA are not trying to stop people ripping their CDs for their own personal use!
Quote :Car companies can't tell you not to take your car to pieces after you've paid for it, why should record companies get to tell you what to do with something you own?

When you buy a CD, you buy the CD and the rights to listen to the music contained thereon. You do not buy the rights to copy or distribute said music. The copyright holder alone (ie the performers or record label) gets to decide how their music is distributed.

Quote from nihil :Not having the right is not the same as not having the desire. People have demonstrated the desire, created the opportunity, and indulged it freely.

True. I have a desire to own a Ferrari...do I have the right to 'indulge it freely', should an 'opportunity' be created?
Quote :The record companies have to come to terms with the way that the market is being shaped by its consumers. I mean, do they want to sell music or do they want to become policemen?

If its the latter, then **** them. Bring on the noise.

That's not our decision, The record companies don't have to do anything. Why do you think you have the right to steal from companies just because they don't do things the way you want?
I was going to reply to this thread, but as usual in these sorts of thread, Stewart, you say what I want to say before I get the chance to say it!
Very true, it's printed on all CDs that unauthorised copying is prohibited. And 3rd party distribution of music needs to be dealt with. But that article was about someone who the record company tried to get for personal use, which is retarded.

Just like Ford doesn't tell you that you can't take out the stereo or add/remove a spoiler, Mercury (for example) can't tell you what to do with the disc in your own posession. They won't find out, and if it's stays in your own posession there's no problem. Nobody has ever been prosecuted for recording a CD onto a tape because it simply can't be done.

And I'd be arguing that copying for your own use can't possibly be considered stealing because (a) you're keeping the copy yourself, and (b) there was never an mp3 copy available so the record company hasn't lost a sale. You can't steal something 'in theory'.
And I might even tag on (c) enjoy your power while you can, record companies are a dying breed, just to be petty.
Quote from Dajmin :Very true, it's printed on all CDs that unauthorised copying is prohibited. And 3rd party distribution of music needs to be dealt with. But that article was about someone who the record company tried to get for personal use, which is retarded.

Did you read the correction at the top of the article? The RIAA were not trying to prosecute someone for ripping CDs for his own personal use, they were trying to prosecute him because he was sharing them on a P2P network!
No I missed the correction, my mistake. I tend to ignore text that size on web pages where the majority of the text is a different font and size, because it screams "I'm a banner ad".

If that's the case then sure, take the guy to the cleaners. As long as the shared drive was the reason they investigated, rather than something they happened to find out after the case was opened

(62 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG