The online racing simulator
Karting Vs LFS
(111 posts, started )
Quote from tristancliffe :If you don't know something, then you are uninformed.
If you think you know something, but got it wrong, you are misinformed.
If you think you are an expert on a subject, but make fairly large or fundamental mistakes in that field, then you are ignorant.

But!

If you don't know something, that's ignorance, which by definition makes you ignorant. And, as we all know, ignorance is no excuse. That's what alcohol was invented for.

So, it's quite complex really. You can be both ignorant and merely un/misinformed at the same time, or one at a time!

If you find it confusing, then just do as I do and refer to people as idiots, which is a nice, handy catch-all qualifier.

This is an ignorant comment that further tarnishes the word ignorance.

If you think you are an expert on a subject, but make fairly large or fundamental mistakes in that field, then you're a jackass, but also ignorant at the same time. You have to break the two things apart. You are ignorant because you make mistakes/don't know, but you are a jackass for thinking you are an expert. Really, this should be refered to as "the ignorant jackass".
See ^^, it's very confusing! Hence "idiot". Widely considered less offensive than jackass, and therefore more effective
Sounds like some people are talking about different types of karts to others.

The performance and configuration differences between a lawn-mower-powered weekend hire kart vs Formula A vs International-class 250cc Super Kart, are considerable. The very first will be lucky to exceed 50 km/h and usually have only rear brakes, the latter are capable of over 230 km/h with aero and brakes at both ends.

Back to the OP however: LFS shouldn't affect your karting performance.

When I go from karting to driving a real car and vice versa, I need maybe a minute or two to adjust between the two activities. But driving in a computer game has never affected my performance in any real-life vehicle.
Quote from carmaniac1993 :ye sthis was 2 pages ago but i felt i needed to clear an ignorant remark. Shifters are probably the most popular well known forms of karting (besides commercial karting) and all shifter leagues require front brakes by the WKA standards ( here in america)

Almost all current competitive single seater racers did direct drive.

In a direct drive if you mess up a corner, you can't just kick down two gear and save your ass, you just plain lose momemtum. that's why it's (more) challenging.
There is a simple answer to this question.

The biggest gain you'll get from LFS or any race sim is racecraft: spotting danger, making snap decisions on how to get through carnage, recognising when something is going to go very wrong before it's too late and learning how to pass difficult people.

I've been away for a couple of years so hopefully the following no longer applies, but previously I found that LFS was never accurate enough to be relevant in real life.

It could certainly teach you the basics of car control; response to spins, coping with weight transfer etc., but the finer elements of driving can only be gained by experience in that car on that track.

The problem with karting in particular is that it's such an incredibly responsive machine, driven on instinc, and I think it's just too hard to recreate in a sim. Driving an MX-5 (normally a responsive car) after going karting is always a huge disappointment as it feels wallowy, sluggish and unresponsive. It's the only bad thing about going karting
I am karting on 2 different tracks near my town, and before I went karting i played lfs for 2 years. When I first sat down in the kart I wondered if it's different from the sim, but it actually was pretty similiar to me.

My problem was just, that I am playing with ks (no money for a wheel,no time for S2/afraid of playing to much because I like lfs so much). So I just needed to learn how to do the things I would do on my kb in the real kart with wheel and pedals.. 3months later I won a race^^.

In my oppinion lfs helps very much, specially the XRT helped me, because it is not a single seater,it is an RWD and you don't spin when you accelerate too much in a corner. And the fact that you can drift very good with that car helps you to understand how you have to brake and steer if you want the kart not to drift.
I am already a good karter come 1st quite alot and i have found that laying on lfs hasnt affected my karting one bit neither have a gained or lost anything since i started this post i have been karting and theres no difference thanks for all the help people
Its' got nothing to do with the wheel. Sheesh. Just adjust the steering lock in your setup. Reduce it. The higher the steering lock angle, the more twitchy the car. If your not used to that, then it'll feel twitchy as hell. eg on fox as2, I use 16 deg, on fxr I use 20. Its nothing to do with ur wheel. Change steering lock. Dead easy.
Quote from viper-2007 :I am already a good karter come 1st quite alot and i have found that laying on lfs hasnt affected my karting one bit neither have a gained or lost anything since i started this post i have been karting and theres no difference thanks for all the help people

I don't get it tho, all you seem to do on LFS is cruise

Karting Vs LFS
(111 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG