The online racing simulator
Is a mouse good enough?
(43 posts, started )
Mouse works just fine for me. Though I do have mine setup differently than most, using both the X and Y axis, to control steering, brake, and gas all with the mouse axes instead of buttons. I get a fair amount of wins on the CTRA servers and podium most of the time. I think my stats are pretty good for a mouser.

Though if you look at my lfsworld stats, dont be confused. The controller column will say I'm using a wheel, yet I don't even own a wheel. I just have the 'wheel' option selected in LFS to allow both axes of the mouse to be used. Selecting the actual 'mouse' controller only lets you use the mouse for steering, and you're forced to have digital controls on throttle and brake, and you will not be competitive at all with that setup.
Quote from NetDemon01 :Mouse works just fine for me. Though I do have mine setup differently than most, using both the X and Y axis, to control steering, brake, and gas all with the mouse axes instead of buttons. I get a fair amount of wins on the CTRA servers and podium most of the time. I think my stats are pretty good for a mouser.

Though if you look at my lfsworld stats, dont be confused. The controller column will say I'm using a wheel, yet I don't even own a wheel. I just have the 'wheel' option selected in LFS to allow both axes of the mouse to be used. Selecting the actual 'mouse' controller only lets you use the mouse for steering, and you're forced to have digital controls on throttle and brake, and you will not be competitive at all with that setup.

please explain how to use Y axis? or how to enable it?
I drive with the mouse in the demo version, and it works OK. I would prefer a wheel, but my desk will not accommodate one easily.

The mouse actually makes controlling oversteer and drifting much easier than with a wheel, once you get used to the feeling. The only problem is controlling the amount of braking and throttle.

My usual driving style is very smooth, but I had to change to a very aggressive style to compensate for the lack of fine brake/throttle control.
Quote from kABLiuks :please explain how to use Y axis? or how to enable it?

Sure thing, it is quite easy. Go to the Options menu of LFS. Click on the 'Controls' button. When you're in the controls menu, you'll see two buttons at the top; "mouse/kb" and "wheel/js"

Click "wheel/js" button. Set the Throttle/Brake axes to combined. Now about half way down the screen, you'll see a row of buttons "Buttons 1" "Buttons 2" "CTRL +" "ALT +" "Axes/FF"

Click "Axes/FF" button. Now is where you assign the axes to their function. Click the button that says Steer. Off to the right, there should be a column that says Available Axes. For steering, choose the X axis. Steering is now done by moving the mouse left and right. Now click "Thr/Brk Combined" button. Select the mouse Y axis. Now throttle/brake is done by moving the mouse up and down. Throttle being the top portion of the screen and brake being the lower portion of the screen.

You can set the centre reduction also. This sets a portion of the middle of the screen where neither throttle nor brake are applied. I have mine set on zero though. You can adjust the other sliders until it feels good for you. For reference I have wheel turn at 90 degrees, compensation at 0.72.

Just for a note, in multiplayer and on lfsworld you will have a W next to your name now since you're selecting "wheel/js" option. LFS doesn't detect that you're still using a mouse I guess.
depends on the car... for slow cars ye it might be good enuf. at least with xfg u can do WR's with it
actually, for a broke kid like me, i can settle with any analog controller, but i hate keyboard; i got an xbox 360 controller
Ive used wheel since i downloaded LFS and i m wondering how horrible it would be to use a mouse after using a wheel? Mabye ill try it!:dopey:
Quote from KrazyMitch :Ive used wheel since i downloaded LFS and i m wondering how horrible it would be to use a mouse after using a wheel? Mabye ill try it!:dopey:

The only thing you miss with a mouse is progressive throttle and brake control. You're either on or off the brakes and throttle, so that makes it hard to control cars with lots of power and can increase braking distance.

Steering is actually easier with a mouse, especially when catching oversteer and drifting, because you can adjust your steering inputs much quicker with a mouse than with a steering wheel.
is a mouse good enough

Nyet
Quote from samjh :The only thing you miss with a mouse is progressive throttle and brake control. You're either on or off the brakes and throttle, so that makes it hard to control cars with lots of power and can increase braking distance.

Steering is actually easier with a mouse, especially when catching oversteer and drifting, because you can adjust your steering inputs much quicker with a mouse than with a steering wheel.

Obviously you didnt read the first post on this page. Throttle and brake control can be analog with the mouse too
Quote from NetDemon01 :Obviously you didnt read the first post on this page. Throttle and brake control can be analog with the mouse too

I did read it. But if you use keyboard/mouse, you can't do that. You need to select the wheel option.

Besides, I can't get the hang of using the mouse for analogue Y-axis control.
the question is "the driver is good enough?"
Quote from Speed_Flame!RO. :because some drivers didnt know what happened...

This program also wouldn't know what happened before the crash. It could have been a car parked on the track behind a blind corner so it's not the fault of the driver who hits him.
Quote from XjonX :If this is the case, can anyone please suggest a good budget wheel? The cheaper the better really, as I am something of a pauper (cue violins):bananalla

Ty in advance for any help offered :o)

I started out with a Saitek wheel, that's been discontinued, but only cost $15 US. It worked fine for Colin McRae Rally and NFS but was too sloppy for LFS or Richard Burns Racing. Maybe I'm just too stupid to figure out how to add deadzone in LFS, but that's what would've been needed to drive with that Saitek - it just would not center. The wires in it broke frequently and I'd have to take it apart and break out the soldering iron on a regular basis, as well. For $15, it was well worth it, though.

I recently got a Thrustmaster Ferrari GT for $50 US, and it works great for LFS. No clutch pedal, and it doesn't have force feedback (FF makes it too much of a workout, IMO, heheh), just rumble. It works with PC, PS2 and PS3. http://www.thrustmaster.com/pr ... uctID=83&PlatformID=5
I'd hate to use a mouse! I'm currently using a PS2 dual-shock pad with a USB adapter to get used to the sim, as I'm a new license owner. The only problem with PS2 pad' are the analog sticks have pretty large dead zones, and so the steering can be a bit twitchy in the extremes and no responsive enough for small corrections.

Not only that, but when rapidly shifting you can inadvertantly cause a small movement on the steering which can be pretty fatal when in a turn.

So it looks like I'll be buying a wheel with force feedback in the near future (wife and finances allowing )
I don't think that the mouse is better than a keyboard
It really is. I drove S1 entirely on keyboard, back when they had the keyboard steering helps. My times were crap. I knew I had to change controllers to be competitive. After switching to mouse and getting practice, my times easily dropped seconds off my laps. Being able to fully control the throttle and brake make a huge difference. I suppose a keyboarder could be competitive, but it'd be a real challenge. I too use to think that the mouse would be horrible to use.
never mind the mouse, I use a trackerball mouse and Im quite good sometimes, usually I end up a tad above the middle of the grid

Is a mouse good enough?
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG