The online racing simulator
Is a mouse good enough?
(43 posts, started )
#1 - XjonX
Is a mouse good enough?
Hey all. I've been a S2 member for about 3 days now and have enjoyed watching some great races. Comparred with my own efforts, I realise I have a ton to learn about racing in LFS! This has lead me to wondering if my mouse/keyboard set up is really good enough? It's fine for steering I guess but when it comes to throttle/brake control Im starting to fear pressing mouse buttons just won't cut it. If this is the case, can anyone please suggest a good budget wheel? The cheaper the better really, as I am something of a pauper (cue violins):bananalla

Ty in advance for any help offered :o)
#2 - Gunn
For what it's worth, I recommend saving for a decent Force Feedback wheel (not a cheap one). Without a force feedback wheel LFS just isn't the same sim. Although it's drivable using the mouse, it's like chalk and cheese, the two controllers are worlds apart. LFS force feedback is a big part of the LFS experience.
#3 - J@tko
I'd agree with Gunn. I hate the mouse - I find I can't control the car very well. I use a kb ATM, and It's fine for the FWD and 4WD cars, and the FBM, but I can't control the others very well.

[plug] To gain some experience, would the LFS Beginner's Cup (see sig) be for you? You don't have to enter all the rounds - It's all about gaining experience and having fun.[/plug]
If my wheel broke, I wouldn't bother starting LFS until I'd replaced it with a new one. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to use a mouse and keyboard.
I've been driving with a mouse for a few months, i was experienced with it but bought a wheel.

I can now also drive the formula cars easier and the big gtr's because you now can control the amount of throttle easier

So yes you can drive with a mouse, but a wheel is so much more fun
#6 - XjonX
OK, looks like I need a wheel! Ty everyone for your help. J@tko, I will definately look up the Beginners cup :o)
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :But just don't expect it to make you any faster. In fact, in my case, I'm now slower.

I'd say: DO expect it to make you faster, just not after one week.

It took me several weeks until I got faster than before when I switched from keyboard to wheel after over one year of keyboard-driving. Trust me, you will get much faster after a while.
#8 - J@tko
Quote from XjonX :J@tko, I will definately look up the Beginners cup :o)

Here, for your information.
Quote from thisnameistaken :If my wheel broke, I wouldn't bother starting LFS until I'd replaced it with a new one. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to use a mouse and keyboard.

I'm wichoo.
If you plan to buy a wheel, then do it sooner rather than later, because if you have been a mouse driver for some time you will need to re-learn some of your skills when you get a wheel. (And you will need to get different setups, too.)

Jakg has written a good guide to buying a wheel.
the mouse is fine to start off with ... i use it a lot when im bored late at night or cant be bothered to set the wheel up (now that is think about it i use the mouse a lot more than the wheel)
my advice is stay away from anything with more than 200hp on the rear wheels and learn a bit of tapping
sooner or later youll be able to get around a track just fine ... you probably wont be fast unless you invest a lot of time into the mousing but you should be able to compete with some of the slower drivers in lfs *smiles at ajp*
logitech momo racingwheel its about $100 and it suits you fine =]
LFS is fine with mouse. I've driven LFS with mouse for 3 years before I bought my DFP and with a little practice any car in LFS can be controlled with mouse.
Where can I find a good wheel?
Internet, Ebay, computerstores near to you?
There are Great racers with Kb and mouse

Also only kB to
________
YAMAHA TW200
well, i am using mouse for 4 years, and just dont want to buy wheel because, then i will have to relearn and so on, but the best what I can do in XFG in BL is 1:35, the rear wheel drive cars are not for me, but some how i dont even want to drive them, may be because in real life i prefer FWD, so see no point learning RWD
Heck, when I first drove the XRG/XRT I couldn't drive it at all. Now I'm used to it and it's great fun . I've only been playing since late October of this year (so just 2 months). I also use mouse, I don't have a lot of trouble with it in general. With the XFG and FBM on Blackwood my pb's are 1:34.25 and 1:14.31, though I haven't driven the XFG since Patch Y. Don't want to either .
I drove with the mouse for a year and was becoming pretty good (compared to what I expected my skill to be like). I was a midfield runner; and won some races at Fern Bay and other tracks on the CTRA servers. Now I have a wheel it feels like I'm relearning the entire game as it's so completely different. I can't even control a slide in the XFG! I end up wildly overcorrecting the slide and spinning madly. It's depressing, but seeing posts from others who changed from mouse to wheel helps me not get dispondent!
Do they make a Force Feedback mouse lol?
Quote from Mp3 Astra :Now I have a wheel it feels like I'm relearning the entire game as it's so completely different. I can't even control a slide in the XFG!

Try racing a different type of car (single seater, LX, whatever). After a while, go back to the XFG. By then you have (hopefully) forgotten the reflexes that you learnt when you were a mouse driver, and that make you screw up when driving with the wheel.
Quote from Shotglass :the mouse is fine to start off with ... i use it a lot when im bored late at night or cant be bothered to set the wheel up (now that is think about it i use the mouse a lot more than the wheel)
my advice is stay away from anything with more than 200hp on the rear wheels and learn a bit of tapping
sooner or later youll be able to get around a track just fine ... you probably wont be fast unless you invest a lot of time into the mousing but you should be able to compete with some of the slower drivers in lfs *smiles at ajp*

Thats true , but in setups , can adjust boton frequency , and the time reaction within presed boton and response in game Can be more smooth
________
Medical Marijuana Patient
the mouse works, but its hard to control and I wouldn't dare online with it. (watch out AI!)
Quote from Inouva :Thats true , but in setups , can adjust boton frequency , and the time reaction within presed boton and response in game Can be more smooth

yes but if you set it too high you wont be able to get on the brakes quickly and penalise yourself a lot in the fbmw
Quote from Shotglass :yes but if you set it too high you wont be able to get on the brakes quickly and penalise yourself a lot in the fbmw

Yup , is true , but in boton frequency y use 3.45 , so the car react very well
breaking and aceletaring , the Fzr and Xrr are so much stable acelerating in low gears

Regards

Inouva
________
Health store

Is a mouse good enough?
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG