The online racing simulator
Help Windows Vista/Windows XP
(25 posts, started )
Hello folks.

Me again. Ok i have windows vista, and i have been told its well crap for LFS when i race it jurks, a bit like lag but clearly not becuase i have about 30FPS everytime. So, i was told to download Windows XP but what exactly would change if i download it? Is it a good idea?

Thanks
John
#2 - Shine
hi, i dont think downloading xp would do anything and wouldn't advise installing it over vista as i belive your o/s would then revert to xp. which wouldn't be a problem if you had the vista disk to put it back.
As for jerkyness vista take a lot more resources from your pc so more ram/better grfx card/ cpu upgrade would be advisable. 30 fps is ok in some games but racing and most new games the holy grail is 60+ fps you could try at lowering your resolution and other graphical settings this would help but i dont know how much exactly. Incidentaly i read somwhere that you might get an increase if you up the grfx settings i dont know if this is true to vista or the new dx10 cards but worth a go. Hope this helps
Ok...I have had a look around and realised well Vista is just "CRAP" for LFS. So in that case i SHOULD download XP? Also i was told my C: will recalabrat itself, so does that mean when i turn my computer back on...it will be as if i have just bought a new one? Or will all my stuff still be saved?
#4 - Shine
sorry dont have a scoobie doo on that one i have never reformatted a drive before just back up everything before hand
Orite thanks mate, i just read your post after psoting my own. I have been told by many people that Vista is useless unless you are using dx10. Also that XP is better than Vista. I will try lowering my resolutions though. Also on LFS and Computer??
#6 - Shine
yep get rid of the gadgets turn off aero this is why im still on xp untill all the good components that will run vista and dx10 are a bit more sensibly priced
lol well i put my graphics on LFS to 1440 x 900 (32bit) which is increasing? and well it seem to have helped just now atleast anyway .
TO be honest i think the jerkyness was the fact that my FPS was droping from 50fps down to 20fps and then suddenly rising again and moving very fast it would not stay constant now i have changed it, and it is staying around 20-30 constant so hopefully thats it

Thanks
I upgraded my system totally a few months ago..C2Q/2Gb RAM, 8800GTS Gfx..and at the same time installed Vista. Since then my LFS has been smoother, faster, and prettier. I fully agree with the previous posts that Vista IS a resource hog, and if your system isn't up to spec, it will run things worse than XP. Unfortunately I have no basis for direct comparison, because I haven't tried running this rig on an XP setup for any extended period since I upgraded.

Seeing the price of RAM these days, the quickest and easiest solution to your problem will be stick it up to 2Gb as soon as you can

What are the rest of your specs btw?
#10 - Jakg
Vista isnt' a resource hog - it uses more memory than XP, but it does stuff with this memory.

Does use a bit more than XP though.

Vista is not "crap" for LFS. Theres a lot of misinformed idiots on the internet, and frankly seeing as you know so little about computers i would NOT mess with your OS.

Deal with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vje5LVSJYQI

Try using MSconfig and turned off any startup programs that you don't want (be careful, don't disable things you don't understand, for God's sake!), check your system tray and Task Manager for unwanted programs too. And turn off the funky Aero graphics Vista offers.
I don't turn off the funky graphics and I'm getting about 180fps (no cars, nothing, so not a very good test) and about 30 with a full grid of cars.
Quote from Mp3 Astra :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vje5LVSJYQI

Try using MSconfig and turned off any startup programs that you don't want (be careful, don't disable things you don't understand, for God's sake!), check your system tray and Task Manager for unwanted programs too. And turn off the funky Aero graphics Vista offers.
I don't turn off the funky graphics and I'm getting about 180fps (no cars, nothing, so not a very good test) and about 30 with a full grid of cars.

Turning stuff off helps, for instance the sidebar that you get with vista, I get around 30-40fps without having twiddled around with the settings since installing LFS on my laptop. Which was today, and its not jerky at all... Specs are: 2gb RAM, 1.9gHz AMD Turion X2 (dual core) and for an odd reason 198mb Ati Graphics card/driver.

What are your specs john?
#13 - Jakg
If you want to improve the performance of Vista use MSConfig to tweak the Boot.ini ONLY, use Autoruns to remove startup programs and use Services (just type "Services" in the Vista start bit) to disable services. Vista has Tablet Service running ALL the time eating 100 MB of RAM whether it's in use or not. Same for ReadyBoost, i used to use it but if you have 2 GB of RAM you'll see a bigger boost by disabling the service and not using it (or if your 1337, just not installing it with something like vLite).
Quote from xWolFx :Turning stuff off helps, for instance the sidebar that you get with vista, I get around 30-40fps without having twiddled around with the settings since installing LFS on my laptop. Which was today, and its not jerky at all... Specs are: 2gb RAM, 1.9gHz AMD Turion X2 (dual core) and for an odd reason 198mb Ati Graphics card/driver.

What are your specs john?

MY SPECS?

Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.46GHz
1GB Ram
Home Premium

That what you want?
imo, this is why u have low fps "1.46GHz"
#16 - Jakg
1 GB of RAM + Vista = FAIL.

You REALLY want some more RAM, failing that you need to tweak your Vista services (ie i can easily drop my OS from 55% RAM usage at idle to 33% just by removing services that are no use like Tablet and ReadyBoost)

What's your graphics card?

EDIT - It's a 1.46 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, Banister. Not a power house, but i'd imagine it would give a 2.8 GHz AMD Athlon a good run.
It's nothing to do with Vista, it's your hardware.
I have Vista Home Premium, and it runs 80+fps...
Try getting a better graphics card, or maybe more RAM.
#18 - Jakg
Vista is still a bit slower than XP, and while i could say "Vista rawks, i get xxx FPS in LFS", i WILL get a few more frames in XP.
Ok, well i havent done anything apart from edit the graphics on LFS and now i am getting about 20FPS - 25FPS which is good for me as on my old computer i would struggle to stay at ten. Sometimes when i am speccing i go away up to 50FPS.

So what services to you not need. As you can probably tell i know pretty much "nothing" about computer.

Also how do i find out about my graphics car...? I'm on a laptop so i can't upgrade it...?
I'm obliged to mention that transfering OEM licences of Windows between PCs isn't "allowed" behaviour in the EULA.

Quote from Jakg :You REALLY want some more RAM, failing that you need to tweak your Vista services (ie i can easily drop my OS from 55% RAM usage at idle to 33% just by removing services that are no use like Tablet and ReadyBoost)

Don't forget that Vista (by default) also borrows the caching behaviour from every other OS on the planet, but does it badly. This means that whilst you are using a lot of RAM, it's only being used as a buffer or cache (SuperFetch as MS call it) for stuff it thinks you're going to use.

Sadly it doesn't seem to preform as well as the competition and the method it uses to clear and maintain memory availability isn't brilliant.

However, the point I'm trying to make is that going on pure memory usage without taking into account the cache is irrelevant.
#21 - Jakg
I do know about SuperFetch, i'm just pointing out that SuperFetch almost turns completely off when your low on memory.

For a while I had a PC with an 8800GTX, a Quad Core and... 1 GB of RAM! As you can tell, i spent a LOT of time in Services tweaking...

http://www.speedyvista.com/services.html is a guide to various services, to access the services bit hit "Start", type "Services" and hit enter.

The website has complied it's tweaks to this Registry file, simply download and run - i've had a look through it and it looks ok.
This is funny whenever someone is asking how to use a crack for LFS or use it etc. people freak out

but when someone is asking how to use a cracked/hacked OS (or if he should download it) no one realy seems to care about it.

Or where in the world can you download a licensed version of the OS Windows XP ???
#23 - Jakg
Erm, I have downloaded a perfectly legal copy of XP Pro free, with a legal serial key. Rare as hell to find stuff like this, but it does happen...

(Also got legal Vista Business and Server 2003 keys this way, all legal, direct from M$)
Quote from Jakg :Erm, I have downloaded a perfectly legal copy of XP Pro free, with a legal serial key. Rare as hell to find stuff like this, but it does happen...

(Also got legal Vista Business and Server 2003 keys this way, all legal, direct from M$)

I know there are the MSDN subscriptions, MSDN AA etc. but I doubt that the guy who started this thread meant something like this or has ever heard of it.
#25 - Jakg
This isn't MSDN, this is something completely different.

I know full well what you mean, i'm just saying that he could mean that. I dont think he does, but it's a legal get-out clause.

(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG