The online racing simulator
Anyone here listen to hip hop?
(91 posts, started )
Quote from Lebaron :Albeig, dude you're such a smart guy! Are you a professor or something?

No, but incidentally the only thing I've ever taught in my life was sound editing in a professional formation institute where I was previously trained as a sound technician and music producer. I was told I had high marks (students were required to judge the skills of the teachers), but unfortunately for me there was no use in teaching stuff that granted - in my opinion - no future to those attending the courses. The market for sound technicians and multimedia experts is extremely small where I live, so I stepped down. I don't like to sell dreams, so I stayed true to my real professional skills. At least I can really feel useful without compromising something I see as artistic, and still like my job.

The year I spent learning there has been interesting, though... I openly contested a teacher (an internationally renowned drummer and composer) face to face because I thought he was doing an ugly job. That was the last year he worked there because his ugly personality, along with his inability as a teacher, had been exposed.
The other teachers were generally excellent, for instance the live front of stage sound technician of Andrea Bocelli, an intelligent, patient and funny guy.

And you can call me Killing Joke, if you like ...see you in DSR servers sooner or later.
Most Europeans do listen to Techno and Trance, just not many of them play computer games, those are the ROCKERS listening to Old skool Iron Maiden and shit haha, Hip Hop, i loathe, it lacks real compositional talent when making music, and they just seem to say YO YO YO YO , and make these weird ecsatorial grunting and groaning noises.. Albeig, if you fancy listening to some of my little numbers I have made, give me a pm and i'll send :}
As I said before in the thread, I don't think hip hop can be dissed in his entirety as a style, just like any other style.

I have listened to some of your compositions on Myspace, Jake. I made a very harsh, unjustified remark about them for which I apologised later (if you remember the occasion). They aren't exactly the kind of stuff I'm listening to at the moment really since I'm living a "quiet music" moment, but anyway drop me the pm if you want. You're always welcome. Mind you, I'm known for being outspoken about music even with close friends.

For instance, I was editing a live performance of an improvisational post-rock project involving a friend of mine when we stumbled upon something I found completely senseless.

Me: Man, this whole piece is a shit.
Friend: It's not shit, it's ironic...
Me: Ironic about what?
Friend: Well, about music...
Me: ...
Friend: Okay, okay, it's shit. Cut it.
Quote from Albieg :
I have listened to some of your compositions on Myspace, Jake. I made a very harsh, unjustified remark about them for which I apologised later (if you remember the occasion)

No, I don't remember you did such a thing Alberto!
Quote :
Me: Man, this whole piece is a shit.
Friend: It's not shit, it's ironic...
Me: Ironic about what?
Friend: Well, about music...
Me: ...
Friend: Okay, okay, it's shit. Cut it.

Haha, sounds like you told your friend the truth, and that's what I want to hear, when people listen to my music, tell me the truth. I wanna improve, not cos I 'wanna be famous' or bullshit like that, just cos i wanna make people happy through music. And no, I ain't a hippy
Quote from BlueFlame :No, I don't remember you did such a thing Alberto!

It was the heat of the moment... and it was very heated
Quote from N I K I :Anyone here listening to German hip hop?
Azad, Boshido, Sido, Kool Savas, Eko Fresh etc.

Never liked Azad and Eko and Bushido went gay but i like quite a lot from Sido (Aggro Berlin in general) and Kool Savas.

The problem with the "brainless lyrics" is that people take all that stuff way too serious. Theres a lot of irony but most people fail to hear it.Or they expect some kind of Lovestory and letssavetheworldandhugeachother Music, but Hip Hop isnt the right genre for that.

Anyone here know "Kollegah" ? Hes a pretty good example of, lets call it, ironical-hiphop.
Quote from BlueFlame :Hip Hop, i loathe, it lacks real compositional talent when making music, and they just seem to say YO YO YO YO , and make these weird ecsatorial grunting and groaning noises..

I'm sure you won't be surprised to find that there are plenty of records which buck that trend. And of course there are/were rap bands with live instrumentation like Galliano, Spearhead, Beastie Boys, The Roots, The Goats.

Public Enemy on the other hand were an odd example, achieving their unique chaotic sound by taking a unique approach to the studio - playing turntables, samplers and drum machines "live" as a band and looping any particularly nice grooves they came up with.

There's always been creativity and talent in hip hop. Musicianship isn't solely the domain of the rockers.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'm sure you won't be surprised to find that there are plenty of records which buck that trend. And of course there are/were rap bands with live instrumentation like Galliano, Spearhead, Beastie Boys, The Roots, The Goats.

Public Enemy on the other hand were an odd example, achieving their unique chaotic sound by taking a unique approach to the studio - playing turntables, samplers and drum machines "live" as a band and looping any particularly nice grooves they came up with.

There's always been creativity and talent in hip hop. Musicianship isn't solely the domain of the rockers.

Yea, I suppose you are right, if Beastie Boys are classed as hip-hop then I guess I like Hip Hop, but the Beastie Boys, ARE very unique, they are the link between ROCK-HIPHOP-TECHNO to me, kinda like how the prodigy are the link between TECHNO and ROCK.
I'm euro to you
#86 - wien
Quote from thisnameistaken :I think that's why I can't listen to metal. I've never seen a metal guitarist tap his foot.

As a metalhead (I have the hair to prove it too) I just have to take this comment completely out of context and jump on it a bit.

Metal as a genre is very much like any other genre in that there's shit metal, and there's good metal. (And the good has never been played on the radio/MTV.) A lot of it is over the top guitar masturbation with pointless growling and Tolkien references, but there is a lot of metal with real depth and quality too.

For example, have a listen to "When" by Opeth over here. (Not their best work, but it works as a demonstration) I'm perfectly aware this isn't for everyone, and that the death vocals can be a bit too much when you're not used to it (I hated them too in the beginning), but please give it a chance and try to listen to all of it. The way Opeth structure their songs to go from the full on brutality of the death vocal one second and then completely turn around and add the most beautiful passages with clean vocals the next just appeals to me like no other music has ever done. I can lie flat out on the couch listening and just take it all in. The contrast between the brutal and melodic parts just add so much to the song, and it makes both parts sound so much better than they would on their own. (Aw shit. Now I'm starting to sound like a hemp wearing, weed smoking, new-age dietician.)

Now the lyrics can admittedly be a big too vague and pretentious, but quite frankly I don't listen to them anyway. For me it's about the music first. The vocals are just another layer of instruments in the mix.

Now feel free to hate it, but you can't tell me this is just brainless noise.
Quote from wien :As a metalhead (I have the hair to prove it too) I just have to take this comment completely out of context and jump on it a bit.

OK.

Quote from wien :Metal as a genre is very much like any other genre in that there's shit metal, and there's good metal. (And the good has never been played on the radio/MTV.) A lot of it is over the top guitar masturbation with pointless growling and Tolkien references, but there is a lot of metal with real depth and quality too.

I think you shot yourself in the foot a little here. The link you gave me contains rather a lot of pointless growling. Maybe it has more guitar masturbation later on, I don't know, because I had to turn it off after 4m30 when I realised it was ten minutes long. I also couldn't tell you if it was laden with Tokien references because the poor chap singing it seemed like he had a rather nasty throat infection.

Quote from wien :you can't tell me this is just brainless noise.

I don't think any musicians are "brainless". If you'd quoted the other half of my post you'd already have my main complaint about metal:

Quote from thisnameistaken :"It says nothing to me about my life".

It's always so "epic" and "fantastic", and, well, life isn't epic or fantastic - it's mundane and routine. Even if you spend your whole life decapitating goblins or playing yahtzee with satan, those may indeed be high points, but inbetween you're going to be occupied with washing your nuts or taking a shit just like everybody else.

I can only imagine that metal musicians defecate into special lava-filled toilets while dodging flying battle axes to make the whole procedure that bit more manly and dramatic.
#88 - wien
Quote from thisnameistaken :It's always so "epic" and "fantastic", and, well, life isn't epic or fantastic - it's mundane and routine.

Heh, then I think we just look for completely different things in music because the "epicness" is exactly what I like about metal. Life is mundane and routine, so why would I want my music to just mirror that? If I want to escape for a bit, something epic is just the ticket. That said I certainly see where you're coming from, and depending on mood I also listen to more down to earth music. I wouldn't dream of having Opeth on in the background while working for instance.

EDIT: And about the pointlessness of growling. The way it's used by many bands is in my opinion pointless in that they have a hard and brutal sound coupled with brutal growling (what you just heard is nothing) making it all too much. What I like about Opeth is that the growling does in fact serve a very specific purpose in their music. The growling accentuates the melodies elsewhere in the music in a way clean vocals can't. If you added a melodic vocal on top of that song it would completely drown out everything else going on in the background. Too much melody in a way.

EDIT2: Oh and sorry for veering off topic...
Each to their own - I'm happy if you're happy.

Back towards the topic for a moment: Here's a rough cross-section of good hip hop for people who don't like hip hop. There should be something for everybody in this bunch...

Rootsy, folky, bluesy hip hop

Powerful beat, powerful messag ... ch perfect east-coast rap

British acid-jazz. Crosby, Sti ... & Young cover version

Amazing dub-centric crossover sound

Sort of political slacker-rap, ... a rare rap concept album

Oh go on then - one for the rockers

#90 - wien
Some hiphop but I mostly hate rap, but Immortal Techniqe was awsome live though.

Taste is quite similar to TS also, de la soul was my entrance ticket to hiphop (and the swedish Just D).
Mostly Dj Shadow, The Herbaliser but the best is Las Palmas (swedish)

(my current music fad since a year back is not hip-hop but Stoner-Doom by Electric Wizard (sounds like drugged up black sabath in slowmotion))

Anyone here listen to hip hop?
(91 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG