The online racing simulator
Real Racers Actually Use Gran Turismo To Train
#2 - Vain
See? That's how the imaginary content in LFS protects our community from such noobs.

Vain
#3 - ajp71
Quote from Vain :See? That's how the imaginary content in LFS protects our community from such noobs.

Vain

100% agree
So that's why there's so many more crashes in racing nowadays...
they can learn the new tracks from that game, but thats all! hamilton said last year before a race, where he never was, he was practicing the on his ps
On of the drivers of the 2006 24h on the Nordschleife trained on the GT4 version of that track aswell, i think it was one from the Stuck M3 GTR (that car is actually ingame). More about tracklearning I think
Yea it would be stupid to actually use that to learn driving a car, or any game, even LFS. But it's good game to learn those tracks.
“Formula 1 racing drivers such as Toyota’s Jarno Trulli and BMW’s Kazuki Nakajima have been seen practicing in front of a console. Whenever a new track comes onto the racing calendar, like Fuji Speedway did last October after a 30-year absence, and drivers cannot get there to practice for real, many fire up “Gran Turismo.”

GT4 was released in 2005. Fuji was remade in 2007. WTF?
#9 - J@tko
We'll I'm 15 and have never been round the Nurburgring (or driven a car.... ). But after playing on GT4 (a bit too much!) I think I would be quite confident in doing a lap round there.

Same for lots of other circuits.
#10 - JJ72
being confident and being capable are very different things.
Quote from JJ72 :being confident and being capable are very different things.

Very true!
Quote from deggis :“Formula 1 racing drivers such as Toyota’s Jarno Trulli and BMW’s Kazuki Nakajima have been seen practicing in front of a console. Whenever a new track comes onto the racing calendar, like Fuji Speedway did last October after a 30-year absence, and drivers cannot get there to practice for real, many fire up “Gran Turismo.”

GT4 was released in 2005. Fuji was remade in 2007. WTF?

The new track is in the game. I guess the plans were ready at that point already.
I'm sure GT and other console games with RL tracks would be invaluable track-learning tools, but I'm sure most pro drivers take the attempts at physics with a grain of salt or two.
Quote from J@tko :We'll I'm 15 and have never been round the Nurburgring (or driven a car.... ). But after playing on GT4 (a bit too much!) I think I would be quite confident in doing a lap round there.

If you haven't never drove a car, it's just not possible that you could do a decen't lap on a racetrack. First time when you get to the driver's seat you have lots of things to learn, to even get the car going. If you could get the car going, there's two things what could happen in my eyes atleast. First, you would be too scared to drive over 80 km/h in turns or second, if youre jackass enough and you would try to drive fast, then youre gonna end up crashing. That's what happens when inexperienced drivers try to drive fast. But I'm not saying this to diss you. Just thought about this. Heck, when I got my license in winter, I have had lot's of "practice" in LFS and other sims and IRL too, I still ended up in a ditch with my 1.6 Sierra.
Quote from BigPeBe :If you haven't never drove a car, it's just not possible that you could do a decen't lap on a racetrack. First time when you get to the driver's seat you have lots of things to learn, to even get the car going. If you could get the car going, there's two things what could happen in my eyes atleast. First, you would be too scared to drive over 80 km/h in turns or second, if youre jackass enough and you would try to drive fast, then youre gonna end up crashing. That's what happens when inexperienced drivers try to drive fast. But I'm not saying this to diss you. Just thought about this. Heck, when I got my license in winter, I have had lot's of "practice" in LFS and other sims and IRL too, I still ended up in a ditch with my 1.6 Sierra. Actually, two times in one day. But I learned something.

Yeah - I meant that I'd know vauguely where I was going, which way the next corner was e.t.c. Naviagation would be much easier than the driving! The fastest I've ever driven is about 30 mph in a go-kart.
Yeah that's true. Learning "navigation" in tracks by games like GT4 is possible, as like said before.
Quote from J@tko :We'll I'm 15 and have never been round the Nurburgring (or driven a car.... ). But after playing on GT4 (a bit too much!) I think I would be quite confident in doing a lap round there.

You aren't too far wrong, I remember playing GT4 LOTS, and the first time I rode round the ring for real, knowing the layout of the track helped massively.

It's certainly not something you want to rely on, but it can help you learn the basic layout.

As for being confident about doing a lap, I am sure your confidence would go VERY quickly after one of either of these things happen.

1) a Ferrari 308 dumps oil and crap all over tiergarten and makes it like driving on ice at over 100mph

2) someone infront of you ploughs into the armco.

3) someone infront of you goes shooting across the grass

4) some knob in a tuned Golf GTi, comes past you at 100+mph leaving less than an inch gap.

5) you come round a corner and are confronted with a bloody great coach pottling along at 50mph.............

Those are the things you don't get on GT4
Quote from JJ72 :being confident and being capable are very different things.

So true.

This isn't really news, is it? There have been loads of racers who admit to doing a few laps on the playstation to remind themselves of the rhythm of a track. That's all.

LFS fanboys get over yourselves. Its not like they're learning how to drive. Its a technique that works. Period.
Quote from deggis :Kazuki Nakajima have been seen practicing in front of a console

Obviously pitcrew collision detection wasn't implemented yet.
Do TG viewers amongst us remember Jezza doing Laguna Seca/NSX on his PS2, then going to California to see if he could do better.

The immortal quote: 'That isn't straight!!!!!'

He is a bollocks driver in RL! (well, for racing, not bad at drifting tho...!)

Quote :Obviously pitcrew collision detection wasn't implemented yet.

That's going in my sig
Quote from wheel4hummer :So that's why there's so many more crashes in racing nowadays...

couldnt of said it better myself....
Being 15 and driving dads and sisters husband car I still don't know how i would do on the racetrack. What i first would want to do, is get that car, go on airfield and just spin car and learn how car handles. So i could compare a bit LFS to real life. And also i could see how well i could handle the car under slide and stuff like that.
It handles like an XRG basically. Predicable, controllable, and remarkable safe over the limit. It will NEVER catch you out, it ALWAYS tells you what it's going to do next, and it'll hang on far more than a small car should. And it will EASILY embarass anyone who owns or drives a Porsche, a Subaru or a Mistubishi (but not necessarily on the straights, which don't require a good car anyway).
Only problem is, don't try and fit in one if your 6ft 5
Put the roof down and you have 63,000,000 miles of headroom (assuming no passing moons, satellites or birds. Or pylons).

But yeah, those long of leg might need to get an S2000, which is similar (but a bit less fun, and not quite as good at handling) but a big bigger. And I think Mk3 MX-5s suit a longer person.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG