The online racing simulator
Cheating?
(48 posts, started )
Cheating?
Are there any known cheats in this game?
I ask because I see some of the WR times seem ridiculously low.
On a number of circuits, the WR times for the UF1 Car are around 6 - 7 seconds faster than my pb. I've been in races on these circuits and other drivers who are faster than me are still only about 1 second or so faster.
If there are known cheats, is anything being done to detect them?
#2 - tinyk
Quote from JackSun :Are there any known cheats in this game?
On a number of circuits, the WR times for the UF1 Car are around 6 - 7 seconds faster than my pb. I've been in races on these circuits and other drivers who are faster than me are still only about 1 second or so faster.

Some can be 1 - 2 secs faster simply by driving clean lines. There is a ride height bug but no 'cheats' that I know of. Save a replay of those faster drivers and watch their lines... you'll find very quickly how they make those times. Having a good setup also helps.

~*~*~*~tinyk~*~*~*~
Cheating
I realise I can get a better time. I have watched some of the WR replays and used some addon tools to compare my lines but I can't see where I'm losing 7 seconds on FE Green for example.
In some of the replays I see them go into corners nearly 10mph faster than I can (if I try that I slide off) it's as if they have slick tyres on a road tyre only car.
No worries man...there are no known cheats.....SCAWEN??
There is software that u can use to change the displacement of the cars engines and the like but these cannot be used when recording a hotlap or when racing online...the server will notice a game difference and your connection will not be made. It all comes down to practice.Really i am learning this out the hard way. The only way to get near those laptimes is long and hard practice for people the likes of you and me.
Also a good idea is too get hold of goo setups...very nice setups are available at the Team Inferno site, http://setupfield.teaminferno.hu/
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#5 - tinyk
Quote from JackSun :I realise I can get a better time. I have watched some of the WR replays and used some addon tools to compare my lines but I can't see where I'm losing 7 seconds on FE Green for example.
In some of the replays I see them go into corners nearly 10mph faster than I can (if I try that I slide off) it's as if they have slick tyres on a road tyre only car.

lol that's the 'alien' effect. Some of these guys seriously boggle my mind how easily they handle their cars at high speeds going in and out of corners. All I can say is maybe more practice and if you see one of them going that fast... ask him how he does it. The majority are very nice and will give you tips on how to hit a corner just right.

~*~*~*~tinyk~*~*~*~
I'm not that fast, but in my opinion, where I lack at compared to the fast, near WR, and WR guys, it's all in the line and throttle/braking control. The fastest guys are hitting lines perfectly, not getting sideways coming off the corner and not locking up and sliding going into the corner. The faster your times get, the longer it takes to get any faster. It's easy to get on for the first time in the GTi at BL and run under 2 minutes. A few laps in, you're in the 1:40's. Couple of races/days you're in the top 1:30's. Couple of weeks you're mid 1:30's. After a month or 2, you're hitting low 1:30's and a few secs. off the WR. Except for me, I get stuck at that mid 1:30's stage and after months and months, I improve very little. A good drivable setup is a good thing in the beginning, a fast setup will get you to the middle, when your close to the top, then you can race with pretty much any setup and it is all down to nitpicking your corners, line, pedal control, steering control, etc. Getting that turn-in point just a hair earlier or later can make the big difference when your stuck in a certain time frame.
#7 - Jakg
Quote from JackSun :Are there any known cheats in this game?

try FE:Club in a UF1, it takes ages to get the power back up if you lose it, fastest i used to be able to get was 58 secs, although there was a large danger of me rolling it over, so i normally drove 59's and tried to speed up everywhere else, i changed my line in 1 corner and my times went down to 54 secs!
Yeah, the cheat is that they have more skill then you. Though you cant download it, it comes over time
F9 helps too

SD.
#10 - vari
Quote from JackSun :I realise I can get a better time. I have watched some of the WR replays and used some addon tools to compare my lines but I can't see where I'm losing 7 seconds on FE Green for example.

'Analyse For Speed' will tell you that
http://www.liveforspeed.net/?page=analysers

EDIT: The link seems to be dead so nm
I agree, the subtle differences in timing of a lift of the throttle, the amount of lift, amount of steering angle and turn in point or even the use of left foot braking - all this has an effect on the speed you will get through a corner.

I watched the WR for SO Sprint 2 and the WR holder was taking T1 at 60mph. I couldn't manage more than 57 but then when I raced it last night I was managing to maintain 60 through there. The difference was a smoother use of throttle and a slightly different turn in point and sharpness. And the thing is, it just came to me - I wasn't even trying to set fast laps - just wanted to stay clean and win the race.
Quote from vari :'Analyse For Speed' will tell you that
http://www.liveforspeed.net/?page=analysers

EDIT: The link seems to be dead so nm

The site appears to be screwed up, but you can still download the file.
http://www.ctd-racing.com/AFS/downloads.php

This tool will show you exactly where you're losing time. Just compare your .raf to the WR .raf and it will be quite obvious where you're losing time. My guess would be that you're overdriving - braking too late, then losing time coming out of the corner.

Also remember that WR times are just a single lap, not a race lap. So, you can put less fuel in the car, use different tires than you normally would for a race, run really aggressive camber that would burn up the tires in a normal race, etc. These things will all lead to quicker lap times for hotlapping, but won't work well in a race situation.
My £0.02.

Set-ups are key here. If you are using the Inferno sets, chances are they have a Locked Diff. For n00bs such as I, this is very difficult to drive. I've started driving with an LSD and am caning my old PB's, although no-where near WR's yet.

If you need more grip, use an LSD :-)
Quote from Gentlefoot :And the thing is, it just came to me - I wasn't even trying to set fast laps - just wanted to stay clean and win the race.

I know this very well.. usually the harder you try, the more upset you get and the times just don't come... the next day a race at the track, and viola, not knowing how, the time is there...

A simmilar thing is when setting pb's. After some time I get to some time, two weeks pass, still the same time and then on one occasion i drive a better time and continue driving such times, not knowing where the error was in the past 2 weeks...

and yes, i guess i'm one of those little green men... but we come in peace!
NO cheats in LFS, just fast drivers that have been playing for a long time (We call them 'aliens' because they don't drive like humans)

All I gotta say :up:
Quote from Tweaker :NO cheats in LFS, just fast drivers that have been playing for a long time (We call them 'aliens' because they don't drive like humans)

All I gotta say :up:

And this coming from someone I would call one of those so called "aliens", hehe. Don't deny it Tweak, I saw you jump onto the qualifying server with 10 minutes left and beat the WR in like 6 laps . I can't remember where that was, but everyone was worried about where you were and if you were going to miss the qualifying.
Quote from wes.brook :My £0.02.

Set-ups are key here. If you are using the Inferno sets, chances are they have a Locked Diff. For n00bs such as I, this is very difficult to drive. I've started driving with an LSD and am caning my old PB's, although no-where near WR's yet.

If you need more grip, use an LSD :-)

if you are able to set a LSD on the UF1000, tell me
Quote from Flotch :if you are able to set a LSD on the UF1000, tell me

I was speaking in general terms

HTH.
#19 - axus
I'm about .5s from the FE Green WR... I made my own set for the combo. It took me about 2hr to get there, including the setup adjustments. Once you get fast on one combo, the rest tend to come easy. Blackwood with the GTi is where I learned, lap after lap after lap... probably 5000laps in S1 demo on that combo. Along came S2 and I was pretty quick everywhere I tried. Seriously, it is all about corner exit speed. You might want to check some of the links in this thread out.
Quote from axus :Seriously, it is all about corner exit speed.

That most likely cannot be so true... it is everything you do and how you do it that gets you faster laps or world records. Corner exit speed is like only a percentage of what makes a fast lap happen. Corner entry, proper lines, braking points, consistency, car setup, and so on.... all make up for being an 'alien'.

If you tell someone it is mostly about corner exit speed, that is a really bad suggestion in my opinion. You will most likely find people trying to take the turn wide on entry and gunning it on exit. Some people believe they can be fast by getting just a quick exit speed, and just push it far too much that they go off the track or overall they will have really irregular racing lines -- which causes mistakes. With a lot of fast laps, you gain a lot of time with proper entry that is quick and in control. This is racing techniques 101, I'm sure you've read about proper racing lines .

There are loads of other attributes and techniques to doing a fast lap, and so many that you couldn't list them. It all boils down to visual perception/interpretation, learning ability (of car and track), memory (track), and consistency. You can improve those areas very easily if you don't think about people using cheats or some other reason about why you are slower.

Any newbie cannot master this game in an instant and get incredible times, you have to have the experience and time well spent with LFS to obtain fast times. Also patience and never wanting to give up... you give up... you never learn.

Because if you think you can get the fastest times right away, that is like saying a beginner archer can shoot the apple off the top of your head 10 out of 10 times
yeah, tweak is uncatchable, i can vouch for that, i spent days trying to outqualify him with no avail, sucks when he's in your league, no hope :P.

Seriously though, its amazing how much small differences in corner entry\exit can affect the overall lap time, specially when theres a combo of corners that have to be taken precisely or you'll loose at least 1-2 seconds right off the bat (the s's in kyoto long going up the hill for example)
Quote from Tweaker :Good post

And thats what gives LFS such longevity and makes it so worthwhile
Hi. Uh... I'm not really fast - yet But one thing that was pointed out to me recently by GenerAL was How I was Approaching corners. He said to try and let the engine do alot of the braking instead of the brake pedal. and finding the exact time to drop the gear is the key. Too soon and you'll eat it and too late, you'll lose power. Also, I've learned that braking for corners is kinda like cooking pasta - when you think it's almost ready, it IS ready. Well when you think that it's almost time to brake, then maybe you should brake then.
I imagine those people you saw hitting the corners faster than you were probably braking a bit earlier than what you were and relying on downshifting to keep the power while slowing down.

Off topic sort of...
Will a locked Diff really increase overall performance a whole lot, or is it good for only certain track/car combos?
@ Racer Y: Hehe I like the pasta analogy.

**Locked Diff is just generally more challenging because both wheels will spin at the same rate and you have the power divided evenly to both wheels. Whereas a slip differential will help your car's stability overall while accelerating, especially in corners. (Think of slip diffs as some mechanical Cadillac traction control). Locked diffs are kind of misused in LFS atm, they shouldn't have 'that' much of an advantage, but generally Locked diffs are faster for fast tracks with big turns. Because you don't want a slip differential to start winding up while in a fast corner, you lose some speed. It is complicated, but yes it can depend on the track/car combo, but even on some combos, you can choose various differential configurations to your liking, because all of them give little or huge differences in driving feel/performance, but still give generally the same laptimes. It also affects tire wear.

Basically just try a car (like the Gti) with Open Diff, and then Locked Diff, and you can see the differences in performance. The slip differentials are kind of in between, but something like the Clutch Pack is very nice to use, because you can set the locking power for when you are Accelerating(Gas), and Coasting(Brake).
LSDs work by diverting power away from the wheel with least resistance. With an open diff, if the inner wheel loses traction, all the power is diverted to that wheel. This doesn't help traction obviously.

Cars have diffs because the outer wheel has to travel a further distance than the inner wheel. So if there was no diff, or a locking diff, this will make the car hard to turn, particularly in tight corners. They can also cause understeer. I have noticed this with some locking diff setups in the game.

Cheating?
(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG