The online racing simulator
Got a Wii? Got a TrackIR!
(28 posts, started )
My brother sent me a link with some cool stuff that a guy is doing with his "wiimote" and I instantly thought in the connection to LFS. Check this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

You can find clips with other cool features at this website:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

When I saw that one clip It reminded me of that TrackIR thing that I had heard about before. Isn't it the exact same thing??? The guy provides examples and tutorials on how to connect the Wii controller to a PC using a bluetooth USB device. Would it be possible to make a TrackIR clone out of a Wii controller and make it work in LFS?

PS: I'm sorry if this post shouldn't be in this sub-forum
Well there is also software (freetrack) that achieves the same with a simple webcam that most of us probably have already.
I searched just for TrackIR with no luck. I guess the magic word was "wiimote"

Anyway, someone do it!
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :Well there is also software (freetrack) that achieves the same with a simple webcam that most of us probably have already.

How come I didn't know about this??? Researching... Thank you for the info and sorry for starting a new thread
Quote from MaKaKaZo :How come I didn't know about this??? Researching... Thank you for the info and sorry for starting a new thread

You only need a Wiimote and an iR receiver, not an entire Wii console
seriously though ... whos gonna tape his wii to his forehead ?
Quote from Shotglass :seriously though ... whos gonna tape his wii to his forehead ?

have you even watched the video?

you dont have to tape the wii remote on your forehead..
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :have you even watched the video?

you dont have to type the wii remote on your forehead..

Ssst, let him do it first!
This looks really cool, another reason for me to get a wii, guess it won't be long before you get games that uses this feature

Have anyone here tried this? Is it hard to do?
#12 - Goop
Quote from Shotglass :seriously though ... whos gonna tape his wii to his forehead ?

Yeah, you'd look like a bit of a dickhead....
That's not what you do. You place the Infrared LED on you, and then you can place the WiiMote anywhere you wish as long as it is pointing towards your self. You all need a blue tooth interface on your computer.

Or you could use reflective tape, and an Infrared LED array to light that.
Forgert Wii remote, use eye toy and a usb lamp!
I didn´t think it would be that easy to build a TrackIR System on my own in a few minutes.

First you have to download FreeTrack, run the setup for your webcam (eye toy cam), put it on your monitor, set Look Function in LFS to axis, wind a flexible usb lamp round some old headphones and watch around in LFS by using the head. Works quite well, I just need a longer usb cable for the lamp.
#15 - T!m0
My notebook has a built-in UVC webcam, which is not supported at the moment

€: Just didn't find the pulldown "source" last night, i just tested it with a LED i still had here, it seems to work quite well. I'll definitly try to build a system with 3 LEDs
My head tracking device as a prototype. The USB lamp is on the left.

I did it with my webcam, but it worked really bad
I tried the webcam with IR lamp. Works surprising well with no tweaking using freetrack.

Used a standard webcam with the dark bit of film at the end over it from an exposed film.

Pulled apart a spare IR dell mouse as I have a few of them. Just plugs into the usb port for power. Just gotta disable the mouse in control panel otherwise the mouse still works. Will be removing the lamp and connecting it to a usb lead so the whole board doesn't need to be there.

Don't know how much I will use it but I was surprised how wqell it worked with things I already had at home.
If your camera can do 1420 compression instead of RGB, tracking will work even better. Settings in freetrack - camera - stream.

Costs for my head tracking: 9,49 EUR for an USB extension.
Could you people give some detailed explanations on the things you used and where to purchase them?
I use the eye toy cam for capturing the lamp signal.

The lamp I use is an USB flexible led light. Mine is a promotion article my mother gave me as a gift for xmas.
You can use any usb lamp like this one, I actually think it´s the same I have.

http://cgi.ebay.de/UK-USB-Flex ... ewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

For the headtracking I use old headphones with cut of speakers and a stripe of foam for a better fit on my head.

On free-track.net is a list of suitable webcams, because you need as least 46 degrees of focus.
Quote from NikLaw :My head tracking device as a prototype. The USB lamp is on the left.

it looks like you have only one "light" point on your setup. from what i know (little), you need at least 2 points for tracking to work, and 3 points for more DOF.

am i mistaken on this?

i'm planning on building my own free-track system soon, so any info is appreciated.
You can use 1 to 4 lamps. With 1 lamp you can only look left/right and up/down, which is enough for racing IMHO.

2 lamps give you the possibility to "roll" your head, so the view turns left/right, more for flight simulations.

3 lamps make you go forwards and backwards.

4 lamps is an old setup. Go to free-track.net, there´s a good description.
yeah, i'd been reading free-track.net, but i guess i missed the part on the 1 lamp, which i agree is all i need for LFS, and makes the process much easier. thanks!
cool!! i just ordered an eye toy on ebay for €6
and i'm pretty sure i have some Ir LED's at home... will a normal AA battery light them?

(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG