The online racing simulator
Gearbox damage
(27 posts, started )
Gearbox damage
hello , i want to suggest to make gearbox damage something like : if u are going i first or higher shift (or u just going forward in N) and trying to shift to R u couldnt do that without stoping (or i thing blocking front or rear wheels ) the gearbox should be damaged and the should came out sound like when u are trying to shift without a clutch.
There should be damage like this http://youtube.com/watch?v=HByGf6ymM74

Sry for my bad language
#2 - Woz
+1

The more types of damage the better

Trouble is we will then have months of "You can't damage a gearbox like that" threads
lol all the LFS drifters (well, the nooby demo ones anyway) will eventually just die...

Your gearbox should explode if you shift from 6th to reverse in a GTR...
Quote : Your gearbox should explode if you shift from 6th to reverse in a GTR...

Only in a GTR?....
Quote from 1303s_vortech :Only in a GTR?....

Road cars have safety features to stop slow people exploding themselves and suing...A GTR would have them removed to save weight and to remove something that could potentially go wrong...
In good time.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Road cars have safety features to stop slow people exploding themselves and suing...A GTR would have them removed to save weight and to remove something that could potentially go wrong...

Do they? I'm pretty sure most don't. None I've worked on or owned have had such a thing (although I'm not stupid enough to have tried). Even automatics with their 'lockouts' are easily overcome... It tends to make a pretty nasty, loud noise apparently, and you get to see shiny bits in your mirror as you coast to a halt.

My father once put an auto Ford (when he worked for them) in reverse at 60mph, and all it did however was to lock up the driven wheels. Somehow (luck!) it didn't do any harm, and he managed to get it back into drive and go back to work. I don't think he told anyone...
#8 - robt
only car i know with that "safety feature" is a ford KA. have to come off the clutch and back on before you can change into reverse
Quote from tristancliffe :Do they? I'm pretty sure most don't. None I've worked on or owned have had such a thing (although I'm not stupid enough to have tried). Even automatics with their 'lockouts' are easily overcome... It tends to make a pretty nasty, loud noise apparently, and you get to see shiny bits in your mirror as you coast to a halt.

My father once put an auto Ford (when he worked for them) in reverse at 60mph, and all it did however was to lock up the driven wheels. Somehow (luck!) it didn't do any harm, and he managed to get it back into drive and go back to work. I don't think he told anyone...

Normally the safety feature on manuals is that the box just refuses to go into reverse and starts clunking, if you are rolling forward (no idea how they do it though...). You can see this yourself by rolling at maybe 10 mph and try and engage reverse...

In autos (modern ones anyway), the selector remains slack when you pass over reverse, it seems to be electronically locked out or something...

I'd presume GTR's would have these features removed, as surely a racing driver of GTR calibre would have the brains not to try and reverse while moving...
Quote from robt :only car i know with that "safety feature" is a ford KA. have to come off the clutch and back on before you can change into reverse

My mum's yaris does this too...Although the one I've seen isn't a safety feature, it's just the gears aren't properly aligned, you have to go to neutral, release clutch and then go into reverse...
I know for a fact **most** cars to get into reverse you must eaither push the gear knob down or pull a leaver up to get it to switch into the reverse gear. So, you can't accidentally jam it in reverse whilt cruising lol.
Quote from samforey12345 :I know for a fact **most** cars to get into reverse you must eaither push the gear knob down or pull a leaver up to get it to switch into the reverse gear. So, you can't accidentally jam it in reverse whilt cruising lol.

But I bet it still doesn't engage reverse when your moving forward...

Apparently, if you put your car into reverse, and roll down a hill forwards, with the clutch in, the gearbox will explode...
Sure it does.. and no, the gearbox won't explode, car companies work on stuff like that to prevent it.

Trust me.. I've done it before on accident lol.. It scared the crap out of me and there was so much adrenaline running through me I had to sit on the side of the road for a few minutes (btw this was like around midnight or later after a high school track meet) because I was shaking so badly.
Quote from XCNuse :Trust me.. I've done it before on accident lol

Why would you do that before an accident?
They tried shifting into reverse at speed on an episode of Mythbusters. The manual wouldn't shift into reverse no matter how hard they pushed on the shifter, it just made a lovely grinding noise (I'd love to have seen the transmission fluid afterwards. )
Maybe you should have used BY.
i have tried to shift to revers accidentally too , i was going home and i missed my turn so i pressed brakes and slowed down to maybe 2 or 5 km/h and tried to shift to R and i couldnt , gearbox didnt let me to do that , no matter how hard i pushed the stick , i shifted to R only when i stoped.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Normally the safety feature on manuals is that the box just refuses to go into reverse and starts clunking, if you are rolling forward (no idea how they do it though...). You can see this yourself by rolling at maybe 10 mph and try and engage reverse...

That's not a safety feature or a lock out mechanism, that just because reverse is a sliding idler gear (usually), and whilst going forwards the idler gear wants everything to go backwards - the clunking is the edge of the gear teeth hitting each other. With a little bit more force (and a little less mechanical sympathy) there is nothing to stop you forcing them to mesh, and seeing if the gearbox, the driveshafts or the tyres grip gives up first.

Don't confuse something being difficult because of how it works with a designed-in safety reverse lock-out.
Ah, I've never tried to force it, so I thought it was a safety feature...but the auto one is a safety feature isn't it? The selector just doesn't click in, it just passes over it...
it will shift into reverse in certain ways i used to do it all the time when i used to race my mini in monicos(sp) it just depends how fast and what you gearbox is like.

if anyone knows anything about gearbox’s will also say with me i think its the cant remember the technical term for it but its something in the gearbox that when u put a car in forward gear the sleeves that put the gear to adjust to that gear in the opposite directions it takes for them gears to stop moving or be close to stopped before you can engage reverse. also the reason gearboxes wont explode as they are gears on a rod so if you think about it if u break the gears its most likely be the sincros that will break over the main shafts and the gears.

only explosion will be on the top half of the engine as can be the bottom half depends either piston rings or crankshafts either of these will do it when they are pushed far past the proper revs.

so for gearbox damage it will only be little it wont be realistick as theres just to much to think about when a gearbox can be damaged so if it was to happen it will be like stages of damage and u will loose sertain power and so on with the car but so far the LFS clutch system is good enough now that patch Y is on the clutch will just burn out and the engine will loose all if not power. they are what lfs has so far to speak of gearbox and engine trouble and thats good.

i think if they do anything it will just be engine and gearbox parts getting worn. as that will then bring in having to do engine oil and gearbox oil changes as well as sertain parts that need to be replaced.

for instance most of my engines in my mini i used to after a few events break it down and clean it out replace all the seals cheak for damage on the most common parts and then rebuild it all up and drive it for a 3000miles before compeating in it again then id overhall the car to make sure the brakes were all ok and the clutch and so on. so brake pad wear is somthing else that might be a thought and brake fade for heat on the pads and discs pad warping on the faster cars and things like that.

then again thinking all about that they would have to introduce a money system into the game so that you could pay for these things that would make its awsome but also making it harder for the developers to do all this as its a lot to think of if not part fixing and so on just part wear and so on breaks and engine for long races so that its all good engine overheating for if u get the setup wrong and so on. anyway somone will drill me for somthing i written in there if not 2nd it or mention somthing that ive missed ill digg out my books from colage when i wanted to to mechanics and ill write up properly about gearboxes.

BTW ive stoped racing ages ago it just costs far to much and ive moved countries and ill only ever race mini's as i love them lol
man that took ages to write if not got loads wrong lol

Btw if none of that makes sence read it a few times im dyslexic so it may take a few reads before you get it !
There are much more ways for LFS cars to become damaged, but how many could happen in the period of a race? Brake pads will last for the longest of endurance races, if the clutch is not absolutley dogged it would last an endurance race. And after every race, we get a new car. So the types of damage the cars can get is not that broad.

So, if gearbox damage, clutch damage (maybe), more engine "heat" damage (currently we have an engine temperature guage, but I've never seen it above half-way), better tyre damage (as in punctures and more random blowouts) and brake damage were implemented, I'd say that'd be pretty damn close to real life...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :There are much more ways for LFS cars to become damaged, but how many could happen in the period of a race? Brake pads will last for the longest of endurance races, if the clutch is not absolutley dogged it would last an endurance race. And after every race, we get a new car. So the types of damage the cars can get is not that broad.

So, if gearbox damage, clutch damage (maybe), more engine "heat" damage (currently we have an engine temperature guage, but I've never seen it above half-way), better tyre damage (as in punctures and more random blowouts) and brake damage were implemented, I'd say that'd be pretty damn close to real life...

do not forget this is a sim, so it must be realistic
Quote from mxpxun :do not forget this is a sim, so it must be realistic

That's exactly what my above post was saying...

Gearbox damage
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG