The online racing simulator
Clutch Overheating
(114 posts, started )

Poll : Does the clutch pose problems for you?

No, I can shift perfectly fine.
I'm having a lot of trouble with it
Quote from JTbo :It seems that you made post in bit of anger, calling people idiots and all, that is not helping, imo.
Perhaps taking deep breath and rewording might be good, most of them are just people without knowledge, telling them how one can drive without burning clutch is often enough.

cmon JT, you lost your Finnish humour balls somewhere?
#77 - JTbo
Quote from BlueFlame :cmon JT, you lost your Finnish humour balls somewhere?

Nah, that was to OP as there was certain wording that would be there only if poster is in very emotional state when posting and that is not contributing anything to his cause, just creating less nice enviroment to discuss from these subjects
Quote from Woz :That was more about I bet everyone at some part in there driving history has smelt clutch burn. When you learn you slip the clutch far too much so its impossible not to smell

I have not burnt a clutch since then, that smell make you learn quick lol

Never an issue for me First car I ever drove was a Morris Minor aged 12, I just got in and with a quick explanation felt the bite point of the clutch pulled away without excessive slipping, stalling or bunny hopping. TBH I've never really understood how learners have so much difficulty with the clutch using the throttle, brake and steering correctly and smoothly takes far more practice than the clutch and changing gear IMO

Quote from Kuang :
IRL my driving intructor would have skinned me alive if I'd have melted his clutch, so I learned very quickly not to He was teaching me advanced driving techniques on the runup to my test and encouraging me to go for the fastest changes the gearbox could manage whilst still remaining smooth so I had a good grounding in keeping the clutch in one piece

Advanced driving techniques? I doubt your instructor was teaching you to double declutch or heel and toe was he?
No, but he was demonstrating the way you would have to drive in order to pass the advanced test - running commentaries, road positioning, keeping as close to the speed limit on country roads as possible, proper use of the car's powerband, etc. If I muffed a change or wasn't using the gears to the full we'd go through it and then go back for another blast

The heel and toeing came after I'd passed (thanks to a bit of track time) and double declutching is pointless with a syncro box anyway
Quote from Stang70Fastback :If you just 'drop the clutch' you shouldn't have any trouble doing burnouts. I do it all the time in South City... it's the only way to point the right way if you spin out WITHOUT burning up the clutch, lol.

Mazz4200 - Subaru pwns...save for that god damned head gasket. Only major issue ever with the car.

Agree, that is what I expected. I haven't changed clutch settings from the defaults, so I'm wondering if auto clutch is still on, then it could be slipping it "automagically" instead of leaving it engaged. In which case, the device which is supposed to help n00bs would actually be hindering them?!?

Also agree, Never had a problem in either the Impreza or Forester GT I've owned.
#81 - JTbo
Quote from DJglass :Agree, that is what I expected. I haven't changed clutch settings from the defaults, so I'm wondering if auto clutch is still on, then it could be slipping it "automagically" instead of leaving it engaged. In which case, the device which is supposed to help n00bs would actually be hindering them?!?

Also agree, Never had a problem in either the Impreza or Forester GT I've owned.

Autoclutch defaults to on if controller set to sequential instead of shifter, in options under driver there is setting for it and I recommend everyone that gets clutch hot assigns a button for clutch and turns auto clutch of, then try if it still happens.
I can't believe this conversation is still going.

Problem: "OMG I can't turn corners without damaging my car"
Solution: Learn to steer properly

Problem: "OMG I can't complete a race without bursting my tyres"
Solution: Learn to drive properly

Problem: "OMG I can't do a lap without burning my clutch"
Solution: Learn to shift properly

I really didn't think the idea of "lifting off the throttle when you shift" was that hard to grasp.
How the overheat depends on length of a strip? I, certainly, understand, that if red - that having overheated. It happens, when a strip even small.
But if orange and a strip further the middle?
I just started playing LFS again after I received the email about the new patch launch. I was playing on the ConeDodgers 1 server, AS3 with the FZR, and noticed that after about 3 laps my engine was revving but had no power.
Initially I thought it was a drive shaft problem, but when it kept happening and asked about it I learned it was an overheated clutch... I've been playing racing sims for years and as I only have 2 pedals on my Logitech Momo I'm using auto-clutch and was powershifting as I always do. It takes some time to learn an old dog new tricks, but I've adjusted my driving style to this and have no problems to lift my foot of the pedal when changing gears. I like LFS all the better for this! It's good to know this sim is still in development, some people just don't like changes...I welcome them.
After three months away from any racing and having read all the commotion going on in the forums I finally reinstalled LFS last night to see what all the fuss with the clutch was about.

Conclusion:- Some people obviously have HUGE coordination problems. I hope those guys that keep burning the clutch never get in a real car because they're going to have serious problems.

Not once in 8 hours did i see more than about 5% heat in my clutch.

What are people doing to burn it out? There is some seriously dodgy driving techniques going on out there me thinks

How this issue spawned all the responses it did is beyond me.

Overall the patch is another great step in the right direction. Well done devs
Quote from The Moose :After three months away from any racing and having read all the commotion going on in the forums I finally reinstalled LFS last night to see what all the fuss with the clutch was about.

Conclusion:- Some people obviously have HUGE coordination problems. I hope those guys that keep burning the clutch never get in a real car because they're going to have serious problems.

Not once in 8 hours did i see more than about 5% heat in my clutch.

What are people doing to burn it out? There is some seriously dodgy driving techniques going on out there me thinks

How this issue spawned all the responses it did is beyond me.

Overall the patch is another great step in the right direction. Well done devs

Well I know how to shift a real car just fine, I suspect it's the auto clutch. If I had a clutch pedal I'll bet I would be fine. I think the auto clutch just is off in some way.

If it's and auto clutch, it's obviously letting the clutch out for me. Perhaps it's modeled to let it out really slowly. Me I would match engine speed and snap it out faster. That would be less heat right?

Anyway if that' may be the case perhaps a setting to tune how fast the autoclutch is released (in units of time) it may help.

In fact if you were to use a button to clutch (non analog) there would be the same issue right?
Quote from Rick. :Well I know how to shift a real car just fine, I suspect it's the auto clutch. If I had a clutch pedal I'll bet I would be fine. I think the auto clutch just is off in some way.

Nothing to do with auto clutch. That what i'm using (only two pedals) I just use a button clutch for starts.
Quote from Rick. :Well I know how to shift a real car just fine, I suspect it's the auto clutch. If I had a clutch pedal I'll bet I would be fine. I think the auto clutch just is off in some way.

If it's and auto clutch, it's obviously letting the clutch out for me. Perhaps it's modeled to let it out really slowly. Me I would match engine speed and snap it out faster. That would be less heat right?

Anyway if that' may be the case perhaps a setting to tune how fast the autoclutch is released (in units of time) it may help.

In fact if you were to use a button to clutch (non analog) there would be the same issue right?

I raced with both the autoclutch and the manual clutch and had no problems whatsoever? I didn't even had to do something else than before (if you discount lifting the throttle)... Are you machinegunning the downshifts or don't blip? Are you not lifting on upshifts? If you can answer any of these questions with yes, there's your problem...
I never fry my clutch, just drop the throttle while shifting gears (i use auto clutch), simple. Infact, in the XFR i only get the CT bar fill up by 1 pixel.
#90 - SamH
I had a fantastic battle last night/this morning in the UF-BR server.. first race on Endurance Day.. about 1/3rd the way through the race, I realised I'd abused the clutch just a little too much and it had gone red while fighting to hold on to my position. I immediately changed my shifting ways mid-race, to finish the race in 1st after about 15 mins of clutch babysitting. Sitting the clutch added to the enjoyment, for me.. it was a whole new dimension to racing.

If I can do it, I swear to god anyone can.
Quote from Nitwon :I never fry my clutch, just drop the throttle while shifting gears (i use auto clutch), simple. Infact, in the XFR i only get the CT bar fill up by 1 pixel.

Now I do the same thing and no luck, xfr. I must be doing something else I don't realize.
#92 - JTbo
Quote from Rick. :Now I do the same thing and no luck, xfr. I must be doing something else I don't realize.

Post replay and we might be able to help you out

I have been trashing LX4 now really really hard (fighting from WR) and I haven't had problems with clutch even I have done quite lot of powershifting etc. Everything else in car has failed, including drivers hygiene and physics
I drove around abusing a 600bhp FZR last night and couldn't get the clutch to overheat
With 654,634,698 thread now on the clutch heat, I think everyone should put in their signature whether you use a clutch pedal, button clutch, or full auto clutch. That way, when the complaints and arguments about the clutch overheating come up 336,458 more times in 336,458 more threads started, we will know and understand where folks stand with their comments.

I use a clutch pedal now. My first lap in X31, I overheated the clutch. Since then I've spun and stalled more times than I can count, spun with keeping the motor running by clutching more times than I can count, flat shifted, shifted with clutch normally, done burnouts and 180 spins to straighten using the clutch, purposely tried to abuse the clutch with slipping it during shifts and riding the clutch a bit, driven the FZR, FBMW, UF-BabyR, XFG, LX4, and FZ50 and have yet to have any problems with the clutch other than the very first lap.

There isn't any problems with the clutch heat. I am guessing that the problem is the way people are driving an autoclutch compared to how the auto clutch is slipping. Auto clutchers probably just need to hold a fraction of a second longer before getting back on the throttle to allow the clutch to engage rather than slip with throttle.

I'm just guessing on that, that the auto clutch is just a bit slow to release, thus it slips more. People are just too use to flatshifting and can't come to grips with how to lift and when to get back on the throttle with auto clutch. It's really a very simple concept. Try to pay attention to what your auto clutch is doing when you shift. If the auto clutch slips and doesn't allow you to get back on the throttle quick enough, then you need to get your head together and think a little bit. Just wait a fraction of a second before you jump back on the throttle.
Good idea
#96 - JTbo
Also if using auto clutch, it is good idea to put pedals visible from options (those bar graphs on right, clutch is blue), I think those are off by default now?
I don't have a problem with how the clutch is acting in races, but I do have a problem that I can't even do some donuts with the new formula car without it getting overheated. Thats just unrealistic.
Quote from MyBoss :I don't have a problem with how the clutch is acting in races, but I do have a problem that I can't even do some donuts with the new formula car without it getting overheated. Thats just unrealistic.

Hmm i must agree.. well.. i think it will be fixed and tweaked eventually..
#99 - wien
Quote from MyBoss :I don't have a problem with how the clutch is acting in races, but I do have a problem that I can't even do some donuts with the new formula car without it getting overheated. Thats just unrealistic.

Are you using auto-clutch or something, because otherwise I just don't see how you manage to burn the clutch? And if you are using auto-clutch, well duh! The auto-clutch will always step in to keep the engine from bogging down, and trying to do donuts in a low-power formula car with big fat slicks and a tall first gear has a tendency of making that happen.
The only car I have toruble with is the FBM...it always seems to overheat a lot faster than the other cars..I use automatic to drive.

Clutch Overheating
(114 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG