The online racing simulator
Free Defrag Program?
(24 posts, started )
Free Defrag Program?
im searching a good (and free) defrag program.
i know O&O isnt bad, but the last free version is pretty old by now and im pretty sure theres something better around.

the question is, who does know them?
#2 - JTbo
I have used only windows own defraq in XP, in win2000 I had some program which name I can recall, but it was almost same as there is with XP, few features more, but I guess MS bought that company so it is no more available
#3 - amp88
#5 - Jakg
Defraggler is my choice...
#7 - ajp71
I know this is going to be a stupid question but what's wrong with the Windows defrag program?
Quote from ajp71 :I know this is going to be a stupid question but what's wrong with the Windows defrag program?

I'd say .... nothing.
Quote from ajp71 :I know this is going to be a stupid question but what's wrong with the Windows defrag program?

It doesn't do the job it's supposed to do.

O+O is the only defragger i'd use, but i use it a lot(Flight Sim..i always defrag after installing a new addon) so it's worth paying for imo.
#10 - JTbo
Quote from The Moose :It doesn't do the job it's supposed to do.

O+O is [...] worth paying for imo.

yeah. exaclty what he said
Quote from JTbo :This will take a day or two to defragment my disc, is it really so slow?

from the website : Tip: Stop your real time virus scanner before running JkDefrag. Virus scanners check all disk activity, making defragmentation and optimization very slow.

maybe thats causing it
#13 - Jakg
Defraggler gets my vote because it's so bloody quick.

Defrag in Windows is (iirc) based on a cut-down version of disk-keeper. Unfortunately in Vista there isn't even a progress bar to show how far done it is...!
#14 - JTbo
Quote from yozzer :from the website : Tip: Stop your real time virus scanner before running JkDefrag. Virus scanners check all disk activity, making defragmentation and optimization very slow.

maybe thats causing it

Unfortainly not, it just seem to be so slow.

It had done over an hour when I last time posted, now it is doing 2nd drive letter, which probably takes 30mins at least to finish still, so we are now at D: and need to go to K: I doubt it will be ready today at this pace

From experience it does not always do the job. Before my recent fresh windows reinstall every time i tried to use windows defrag it would analyze my disk, start to defrag and it would finish the defrag in about 3 minutes on a 80g hard disk. This happened with all my disks, i would just run it and it wouldn't do anything... It was fooked... it just wouldnt defrag anything for some very odd reason. Since then i have never bothered to use it, got myself O&O defrag which does the job well.

mad
damn how many hd you got?
#17 - JTbo
why did i knew that was comingg..ive got problems filling a 500 gb one up
#19 - JTbo
It is still working, well at least with K: drive now

Get good digital camera + video camera and you start to find how there can't be too much space, add some rTractor modding to that where you need to keep 'few' versions and it is impossible to have enough space

14 hours and still takes bit of time, quite task
ah that explanes a lot

14 hours...atleast your pc didnt crash yet
Quote from Madman_CZ :From experience it does not always do the job. Before my recent fresh windows reinstall every time i tried to use windows defrag it would analyze my disk, start to defrag and it would finish the defrag in about 3 minutes on a 80g hard disk. This happened with all my disks, i would just run it and it wouldn't do anything... It was fooked... it just wouldnt defrag anything for some very odd reason. Since then i have never bothered to use it, got myself O&O defrag which does the job well.

mad

I can't say I've ever had a problem with windows defrag proggy, though these days I use Diskeeper as it came free with my laptop.

Though if O&O is as good as you all make out, I might have to buy myself a copy.
Whatever defragger you use the golden rule is :-DO NOT touch your computer when defragging.
I know you want free defrag program (cough* actually every one of them is free *cough end)
But the best of ALL , is Diskeeper 2008. Does it's job fast, and clean and looks nice too.
Power Defragmenter: Defrags anything. Disks, Folders or files. It actually tells you what it's doing, does it properly and is as fast as your drive allows.

Free Defrag Program?
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG