The online racing simulator
#1 - smove
SAMSUNG SyncMaster 226 B - Problems with black
Hi there,

you guess right, according to the other topic I posted around here two days ago, I decided to finally get a monitor to test. It became a ... 22'' SAMSUNG SyncMaster 226 B.

After installing, calibrating (as good as it gets without colorimeter or something similar) and checking it works just fine for LFS (in fact, I'm really impressed!), but there seems to be one major problem:

It can't produce a homogeneous black across the screen, not even nearly. Instead there is a very noticable green(-ish) glow directly in the middle of the screen that I tried to catch using my cell phone camera - view the pictures attached. If you gather from these that this could be due to reflections: It isn't, I took the photos at night and at least one of them with all lighting switched off in my room.

So my question is: Did anybody here using this screen notice something similar? Or is it an exception only my monitor has? Maybe it's "just" a manufacturing fault - well, which just shouldn't be.

Best regards and again: Thanks in advance.
Attached images
Bild(253).jpg
Bild(254).jpg
#2 - Bean0
I've never noticed that with mine.
I do get a little of the blue from the LED bleeding into the lower right corner, but it's barely noticeable.
#3 - smove
Quote from Bean0 :I've never noticed that with mine.
I do get a little of the blue from the LED bleeding into the lower right corner, but it's barely noticeable.

I also don't notice it on bright pictures, but whenever there's a relatively large area of black or shadows on the screen. The best example to get it to see in everyday life without putting too much effort in is when booting the PC so that the DOS prompt and Windows starting logo appears for some seconds. There it's hugely noticable ...
#5 - Bean0
Quote from Bean0 :I have an S panel

I thought that they changed the newer models to that you couldn't check any more ?

Yup, I've understood that so too, which makes it even more fishy.

I'm thinking about bying 226BW too, but because it's total lottery what panel you might get and because of this whole thing, I'd also like to boicot Samsumg or buy another model (that are manufactured only with S panels, like 226CW afair) but 226BW with S is still regarded best.
#7 - Bean0
I was pretty lucky, at the time I ordered the vendor inspected their shipment from Samsung and advised that nearly all the monitors that they checked were S panels.

The UK has 'Distance Selling Regulations' as well, so I could have returned the screen had it arrived with an A Panel.

It's a shame, because I really can't fault the monitor.
#8 - smove
Quote from deggis :Important thing: what panel does it have? S (as Samsumg) is best, A (AU Electronics) and C (CMO) are generally certified "crap". Samsung is basicly selling different model with the same name... yes it 100% sucks.

Read this: http://www.behardware.com/arti ... s-series-the-verdict.html

I just read through the text and, especially after looking the pictures here (the lower ones) and raising the gamma curve in these pictures equally so that you can actually see the halos, I'm quite sure that my monitor is infected with defect. Firstly, the glowing still seems brighter, secondly because it is very different in position on my screen. Of course my cell phone cam had a way longer exposure time and I'll have to take my digicam for another, more exact result.

I'm not really sure about what to do now. At first I may find out if I have an A or S panel. Or I could bring it back and try to change to another one. Or maybe simply to go for a completely different monitor. Or jumping out of a window. Though - not for a presumed faulty monitor!
I would send that back. Mine doesn't do anything like that.
#10 - Mc21
The 226CW is the new panel from Samsung, and all the monitors will only be S panels, which is a good thing
I can't say I have ever noticed this on mine either and have been really pleased with it
Its Defected, Take it back!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG