The online racing simulator
#51 - joen
Quote from Dalibor79 :So....from demo view(not for long:shy GREAT thing is FBM. Fantastic even.
And for devs, with which we're blessed with, i mean look - u pay once and this thing lives and evolves, and they could take money monthly-which they dont.
Leave them, don't worry, they're doing great job, in fact their part of developing seems altruistic...I hate some ppl saying and waiting for s3 , that's nonsense, BE HAPPY with what u got NOW. I don't care for s3, s4 , alpha, beta, gamma....that doesn't matter cos this thing LFS is in good hands and gets better and better.....
So to scavier team - relax'n'enjoy for holidays, you ve earned it. And lots of respect(which many people just don't give enough)
cheers

Refreshing to hear from a demo user who appreciates the work on LFS. Hope to see you in S2 in the future

yeah, hope so, if i could buy it, "just like that", that woulbe done thing. But some people like me are having problem with internet paying, I even opened new account, got a card and discovered that it doesn't work for lfs. crap. But there's other stuff in life to take care of, but licence will come. sooner than later i hope
Quote from Gunn :Yes it has happened quite a few times over the past five years, more so on major updates. When the keyboard steering was changed back in E6/7, the debate raged for several weeks. Engine damage and tyre wear produced a myriad of "hate" threads too. But many of those who adapted went on to become fine sim racers and strong supporters of LFS. LFS (to me) has always been heading towards "hardcore" territory from the very beginning. That's why I've stuck around. No other "sim" dares to do it properly.

I don't think LFS is very hardcore compared to Papy, nk and even ISI. It doesn't have clearly structured sessions and a very forgiving damage model and until recently it had an arcade reset, far too quick repairs and no forced cockpit or false starts. I've always felt that it tended to much towards the arcadey side from the first demos until patch X when Scawen sent a clear message that there was going to be a sea change in direction. Ever since then I think there's been a growing minority of LFS players who've started to show opposition to virtually every element of LFS's development. I think they're only just realising LFS isn't what they want, hopefully if they leave then a lot of the sensible mature racers who are currently playing ISI sims will be tempted by LFS.
#54 - Gunn
Quote from ajp71 :I don't think LFS is very hardcore compared to Papy, nk and even ISI. It doesn't have clearly structured sessions and a very forgiving damage model and until recently it had an arcade reset, far too quick repairs and no forced cockpit or false starts. I've always felt that it tended to much towards the arcadey side from the first demos until patch X when Scawen sent a clear message that there was going to be a sea change in direction. Ever since then I think there's been a growing minority of LFS players who've started to show opposition to virtually every element of LFS's development. I think they're only just realising LFS isn't what they want, hopefully if they leave then a lot of the sensible mature racers who are currently playing ISI sims will be tempted by LFS.

I have played GPL since it was released and I can honestly say that it has been left behind by LFS as far as physics is concerned. Yes it is difficult to master and offers a more realistic expereince than a lot of modern titles, but it's old hat now. I love GPL with a passion almost equal to LFS, but I'm not deluded. GPL doesn't cut it in the modern era. It doesn't stack up beside LFS. I agree completely with you about LFS maybe "dragging the chain" in regards to dumping the acrcadey features, but since I have always played it as "hardcore" as possible I may be a little blind to that side.

I'm keen for arcade racers to become sim racers and I won't pretend that I don't have contempt for lesser "sims". I think LFS has turned a lot of arcade racers into sim enthusiasts already and I sincerely hope that many more of these guys cross-over and begin to revel in the whole concept of a true race simulator.

Without any malice whatsoever I look forward to no chase mode or wheels views, the option to set server-side restrictions on controller type, setup parameters, and driving aids etc, and even more realistic trackside options like a warm-up lap and grid formation etc.

I understand some people's dismay and chagrin at the possibility of these tougher restrictions, but the goal for me is a true race simulator, not a racing simulation that belongs with all of the "me too" titles that have dominated the racing genre since the conception of the PC.

I'm about to go crazy

go play need for speed then ye little pack of whiners

LFS= TOP CLASS SIM

if you don't agree get lost
Quote from Gunn :I have played GPL since it was released and I can honestly say that it has been left behind by LFS as far as physics is concerned. Yes it is difficult to master and offers a more realistic expereince than a lot of modern titles, but it's old hat now. I love GPL with a passion almost equal to LFS, but I'm not deluded. GPL doesn't cut it in the modern era. It doesn't stack up beside LFS. I agree completely with you about LFS maybe "dragging the chain" in regards to dumping the acrcadey features, but since I have always played it as "hardcore" as possible I may be a little blind to that side.

No question about it GPL isn't up to the standards of the few rF mods that don't willingly change the laws of physics. What makes GPL special though is just how pure a sim it is. Due to the fact it simulates hard to drive cars with little in the way of aids noobs and arcade players tend to ignore the GPL community. GPL is the benchmark that all sims should still be judged against IMO, it's nearly ten years old so no modern sim should have difficulty in beating it, at least on paper in every department. A lot of sims still fail to meet this benchmark (SimBin are still failing dramatically in the FF and physics departments IMO), which is really a compliment to Papy.
#57 - Gunn
Yes, when GPL arrived on the scene it was so far left of field that many people dropped it like a hot potato. But it also attracted a group of enthusiasts, many of whom are still around today (thank the Gods).
If GPL had never have appeared perhaps true sim racing would still be just a dream. I reckon Crammond may not have been inclined to evolve the GP series either if not for GPL. I recall many people bitching about how easy it was to spin the car in GP2. For me that was one of things that made GP2 stand out: it wasn't easy to drive with aids turned off. Throttle-mashers need not apply.
imo if you want arcade , bu drand turismo , if you want realism buy kiado racer 2

if you want a mix of both... play LFS.
Man you guys are S.T.U.P.I.D yes i drive on keyboard, most of the time the gear chnage and the clutch isnt the problem, the handling has also changed.

To the guy that said get more skills come over to redline 3 and ill show you how slow i am.
..... dude! how many more patch Y threads do we need? the first page of general discussion is filled with Y threads...... not Kewl guys calm down and play the god damn game.
#61 - wien
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Man you guys are S.T.U.P.I.D yes i drive on keyboard, most of the time the gear chnage and the clutch isnt the problem, the handling has also changed.

Not really. The engine power curve is different so you'll need to adjust the gearing, slicks heat more quickly so you'll need to at least tweak pressures and most likely change compound and some cars have had a default camber adjust meaning you need to adjust your setup accordingly. Other than that, nothing has changed.

Now the engine adjustment and tyre changes may indeed have an impact on how the cars handle, but they are both changes making things a lot more realistic. The old engines were completely off base in how they delivered power and how far they revved, and being able to do endurance races on what in effect was quali-tires was hardly realistic either.

Either way I can't for the life of me understand what the problem is. As long as the change is for the better (more realistic), adjust and move on. What is the problem?
Quote from 73AMX401 :I know this is going to open a can of worms but i have to ask why do people have a problem using the clutch with a keyboard on Patch Y? Furthermore if you have a problem with the clutch then turn the manual clutch off instead of coming on here and complaining like a bunch of idiots. By the way, I use a keyboard with the manual clutch and i have never burnt the clutch up. Its not that hard. I would love to have a G25 but that's not in the budget right now. I have actually used the keyboard and clutch since i joined on Patch W and at the time I wished it the cars would stall. Now we get it and all I have seen is complaining. Have you people tried driving the cars more realistically? Sure in a game you can do 7000rpm clutch dumps with no problem but IRL that could be load of damage. Personally I'm glad for the clutch heat because it proves that LFS is moving forward to a more realistic horizon and if some people don't like it and don't want to cope with changes then farewell we didn't need you to start with. By the way, I do know that the clutch isn't the best on a keyboard but that's a realistic step I couldn't go without using. Also sorry if this is already been said I'm just tired of seeing people complain about every little detail of a WORK IN PROGRESS game. Hence these little things called patches that people cry over.

I agree with you mostly except for your point that its the clutch, it ISNT the clutch kb users have problems with its the throttle dropping as it dosnt drop quick enough and (i dont think) button control rate effects this, so we have to wait for about half a second before we can switch up a gear. But auto is quicker with the FBM and FOX etc anyway?
Quote from Gunn :
If GPL had never have appeared perhaps true sim racing would still be just a dream.

There's no doubt in my mind that GPL created the sim racing genre as we know it today, it was such a radical departure from the previous 2D sims that pre-dated it. Everything since GPL has just been polishing and slight refinements in the physics model. I think the next ground breaking move will be the first non-rigid body physics engine but I think that's still years away due to hardware more than anything else.
I felt bit aggrivated by it at first.. but now that ive had some practice today.. and ive had lil wine.. all i can do is accept that its a great chance to finally learn heel and toe properly.. i wish i could find a decent shifter from this country.. ive been looking for one over a year... and dont mention G25.. im not paying craploads for nice wheel, mediocre pedals (i already have great ones), and cheap joystic technology converted to a shifter with software.
Damn if you guys ain't happy, go get this. I swear it's a shocking experience, it cost nuts and comes with adapters.

Quote from The Very End :Not this again :doh:
Why does people even make a new topic about this thing when they see that there allready is 10 others of them.

+1 to remove demo rights to write on the forum.

YES!!!!
#67 - Gunn
Quote from Drunken Predator :I felt bit aggrivated by it at first.. but now that ive had some practice today.. and ive had lil wine.. all i can do is accept that its a great chance to finally learn heel and toe properly.. i wish i could find a decent shifter from this country.. ive been looking for one over a year... and dont mention G25.. im not paying craploads for nice wheel, mediocre pedals (i already have great ones), and cheap joystic technology converted to a shifter with software.

The G25 shifter is nothing like a joystick in design or construction. The pedals are quite good, far better than anything Dogitech has ever made before. Better controllers cost way more. You could do a lot worse than a G25 mate.
Yes it is, same technology. On my cheap joystick there are two pots (like in G25 shifter) to define the position... then theres only the lock to gear mechanism that differs it from a joystick.. few buttons with cheap switches just like in normal cheap joystick.. hell.. even the centering spring mechanism is 100% same as in joysticks...

Here to look the internals:
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=277322
#69 - Gunn
Quote from Drunken Predator :Yes it is, same technology. On my cheap joystick there are two pots (like in G25 shifter) to define the position... then theres only the lock to gear mechanism that differs it from a joystick.. few buttons with cheap switches just like in normal cheap joystick.. hell.. even the centering spring mechanism is 100% same as in joysticks...

How many micro switches does your joystick have for physical contact? None?
Quote from Gunn :How many micro switches does your joystick have for physical contact? None?

Doesnt change the fact that its utter crap and at best "ok" solution to go with. Do you have any black on white about the microswitches? IE what are they used for? Cant see one need for microswitches looking at the internals.. if i didnt have great pedals and ok wheel i might go for G25.. but id rather get a good shifter next.. I made my choice between my pedals and G25 once, and must say ive been so satisfied i did the choice i did! Not to take ya down as a whole G25 is an ok deal, but for someone who mainly wishes to get a shifter it makes no sense whatsoever.
i got to the bottom of page one and fell asleep. i'm sure there will be another dozen of these threads in another hour or two. it's a bit like channel4+1
Quote from Drunken Predator :

Ouch no wonder the things are breaking looks like a typical crappy Logitech joystick type build quality with a few modifications that'll all wear out and break far faster than the wheel itself. My limited desire to consider a G25 has just disappeared in a puff of smoke. If I ever want a shifter I'll build my own.
#73 - JTbo
Quote from Drunken Predator :Doesnt change the fact that its utter crap and at best "ok" solution to go with. Do you have any black on white about the microswitches? IE what are they used for? Cant see one need for microswitches looking at the internals.. if i didnt have great pedals and ok wheel i might go for G25.. but id rather get a good shifter next.. I made my choice between my pedals and G25 once, and must say ive been so satisfied i did the choice i did! Not to take ya down as a whole G25 is an ok deal, but for someone who mainly wishes to get a shifter it makes no sense whatsoever.

Shifter is not very strong either, wheel is very good (ffb specially), but shifter is not so nice, also pedals are bit wierd when comparing to IRL pedal setup.

Too bad Act-Labs stuff is going to cost huge sum of money when ordering from here, would be nice to have better shifter. Don't know about Finnmotion pedals if those are any good compared to G25 pedals, however hydrobrake from Frex is perhaps something that should help with feeling, just cost is again pretty insane.
I personally own Finnmotion pedals.. they are pretty good.. a big, huge improvement from the plastic pedals.. You could get ACT Labs shifter from one UK retailer reasoanble cheap, but i dont want one of those either.. not the best longevity i hear.. SST lightning is the shifter ive been looking for.. but shipping from US + the finnish tax would make the cost bit too steep.. its a crap situation really.. i hope some finnish DIY guy starts building few shifters for sale, im sure quite many would buy a decent quality shifter around here.
Quote from JTbo :
Too bad Act-Labs stuff is going to cost huge sum of money when ordering from here, would be nice to have better shifter. Don't know about Finnmotion pedals if those are any good compared to G25 pedals, however hydrobrake from Frex is perhaps something that should help with feeling, just cost is again pretty insane.

Quote from Drunken Predator :but shipping from US + the finnish tax

The shipping for the Act Labs and SST for the UK and Finland is $40 and no tax, not bad really given the weak dollar. The SST for £110 delivered seems tempting but first I'd need to get a good pair of pedals and I'm not sure whether to go down the build or buy route, I've given up on purchasing TCannon's guide because he appears to be dead and I'm not going to buy it if I can't get the parts for sensible money in the UK (and need to know what they are first).

The ECCI pedals are simply too expensive and so are the Act Labs and Finnmotion pedals really (£175 + shipping). I'm not sure if anybody makes pedals worth knowing about for less than that? What I'd really like is proper pedal placement, adjustability so they can be properly raised to an appropriate height whilst floor mounted and most of all, quality. I don't really need a pressure sensitive brake pedal if that's out of my budget.

MAJOR disappointment.
(343 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG