The online racing simulator
How did it all start for you?
(81 posts, started )
I read that a g25 was compatible with a game called lfs so i googled it and it came up with this at first i downloaded it and it was rubbish because i had a slow comp but when i got a new one i remebered it and thought i would download it again and the rest it history
I think it all started when someone posted a thread about LFS on a forum at www.digimods.co.uk. It was a site dedicated to photoshopping cars to look modified, but it was basically full of car nutters so I spent most of my time in General Chat. So a bunch of us downloaded the demo, and started drifting. Then most of the people stopped playing it, probably because it didn't have any Skylines. I stuck at it and switched to racing the XFG on ATC servers. Then the S2 demo was out and I played that, bought S2 as soon as it was out. The funny part is I didn't know there was a forum here for almost a year!
Youtube'ing for drifting vids at work cause I was bored. Then saw some random video of ppl drifting and I thought it was real, then I realised it was a game.

I was like... "hell yeah"..... Thats the stuff dreams are made out of.Took me a few days to figure out how to drive on KS. That's a good sign I thought, "this is hard to play". Finally a car game with realistic physics. I could even play on dial-up for crying out loud. Amazing game. I'm hooked 16 months now.
sometime in 2003 i found the demo on some cd, tried it offline for a bit with keyboard and got never really into it cause of that. end of '03 i was kind of bored with other games and remembered lfs, downloaded the demo and went straight online. met some nice ppl from dsrc and the rest is history.
I found it whilst browsing an old forum I used to be a regular on (bikechatforums.com if anyone else wants to look, good crowd on there) and I saw in someones (that someone I am pretty sure was v4forlife) sig, "Do you :lfs:?" The logo was a link to LFS.net and I downloaded the demo.

I only used keyboard at this stage as I really couldn't get to grips with the mouse for steering. I mostly played around in the Blackwood car park, just thrashing the 3 demo cars around.

Then a few months later I purchased S2, just so I could try out the rest of the cars. By this stage I still hadn't attempted to race online and I didn't do so until I got a wheel as a birthday present 2 years ago. As soon as I plugged the wheel in I was straight online! I wasn't all that good but I had a damn good try.

I'm still not all that good now but I love this sim so much, the realism is pretty real, the racing is superb, the community is great and last but not least, we have devs who actually talk to their fans!

I don't think I will ever play any other racing sim as much as I play this as it's simply better than anything else I've played.

And I got others into this aswell, and they came from FPS backgrounds and never really touched racing games/sims. They're not as addicted but they still play alot.
I waa on youtube (like most) looking for some Gran Turismo 4 costa di almafi drift videos (one of mine) and found This video and a few more other inspirational videos of LFS and though "Why the He** haven't I been playing this for four years in stead of GT4".

I downloaded the demo and played for a few months, then got my brother to buy S2 for me. (because I didn't have a credit card at the time)

Edit: a couple other videos this one , this one , and this one
I had heard people talking about it on a few pixel art forums, didnt think anything of it so one day, searched, downloaded, played demo for a year until i could afford S2, popping up on 2 years in March.
#33 - JTbo
I always have liked from car games, more importantly sims and I was searching some new car game when I found something called Live for speed from RSC forums, download was rather small so I thought that I give it a go.

So I started with beginners car, XFG and managed to drive from T1 and chicane of Blackwood, I thouht that game is quite nice, then I was pushing car faster and saw 250 mark coming, so I thought that I must brake perhaps soon and pulled wheel to side to get to correct line for corner and rammed brakes as in other games, I did spun. At that moment I remember saying something like WOW, first time ever I spun because of that and certainly I was sold after that.

Bought S3 license right away when preordering became possible (It was certainly some time after my first drive, specially because Original LFS League did born bit after my first drive and I became one of first hosts), actually I had not even credit card before that so I got one just for getting LFS

Physics were so huge thing, it did not bother me at all that there were no speedometers (only virtual) and sound was not too good.

All investments so far for LFS related stuff have been around 800 euros, oh yes and few server rents above that so we are quite close to 1000 euros, but fun is never free, still lot cheaper than any other fun, specially as there has been already so many years and more to come.
I found LFS in late summer 2006. I loved the demo, played it for almost 6 months. got GTR2 and my Momo for Xmas last year, 2 months later, bye GTR2 and hello S2! still can't remember where I found the demo. I might have been searching for somone car game on google or something.
I was playing with Midtown Madness and DTR (Dirt Track Racing) late 2002 / early 2003. At the time there was talk of cheaters in MM, searching the net I came across a discussion on a team forum for MM about the cheaters. Looking through the forum I found a brief mention of LFS and link a to the demo. Downloaded, played offline for a bit but never got into it. Sat on my hard drive for a few months, finally signed up on RSC. I think it was late 2003 before I really got into LFS heavy, never looked back.

EDIT: Yup, late 2003 was when I got bit
This is a bit embarassing but who cares.

I was watching an anime series called Initial D and thought: That's cool, wonder if that's hard to do IRL.

Googled for drifting and found the Drift Bible. After watching I though that IRL this was too expensive. Wondered if there was a game I could do this with.

I already knew there were bunch of arcade games and racing games but were there sims?

So I googled a bit for a game with good physics modeling and found LfS. DLd the demo and was amazed that you actually got the whole game in that little package. Tried it a bit with KB and found that it was really hard to drive fast (actually slow but...). Tried with a wheel at a friends place and was hooked.

Couldn't drift to save me life so tried to race. Got fed up with the AI and went online. Wanted to show my appreciation to the devs and bought the S2 license. The rest is future.
Searching for a free racing game online and I ran across this (google caught the "free demo"). At the time I wanted to join a racing league and I saw that LFS had quite a few. But I didn't have money at the time so I just stuck to competing in a NASCAR heat's demo league.

A few years later I revisited the game and decided to give it a try because I liked the premise of the game.

I bought this game along with rFactor at the same time. (both games appeal to different parts of me )
I found a demo in one Croatian computer magazine called "BUG" that comes with DVD.
In first i tough that GTR2 is better, but after i get know with Croatian community i started to do it online, and bills were coming, damn dial-up .
After many many penalties from parents and long time saving money, after 1 year (late 2006) i bought S2 and Logitech MOMO Racing.
And so will I S3 and G25 when i save more money again
Well.. you see my Father and Mother were in love and.. when you are in love... what... you mean how did i start playing LFS? hmm..
Ive tried the demo few times over years, ive been always into sims and racing games.. now i finally bought a licence. Been so busy with other racing sims that never really got around buying it before.. and now i hope i had! having a blast with LFS.
How I started playing LFS?

Well, I was at a lan party with some friends back in 2003. Then they sent me a file names LFS and said I had to install it. They would give me 10 bucks if I managed one lap with the Turbo car.
Of course I didn`t manage it, but I got my eyes on the game. And not long after when it came out, I bought S1 and have been a happy lad since that time
Oh well, i was just looking for a realistic sim wich does not need at least 1GB of RAM. After a hundred pages in google i guess, i found something called LFS.
I found a friend on RSC who pointed me in the direction of LFS, who bought S2 for my birthday last june, Thanks Erik!
This will make you laugh.

I was actually searching the Codemasters Forum for an update on Toca Race Driver, when I came across a thread that pointed me to the RSC forums on the 21st September 2002.

Found LFS, loved it, and been here ever since

Never brought or downloaded Toca Race Driver....Wonder why.

THANK YOU CODEMASTERS
I tried a wheel and a need for speed game at a friends house. I liked the racing, but the game sucked, so I bought a g25 and googled racing games or simulators and lfs popped up first. I googled more and found a pile of racing reports (stories of races) and I got excited about it and downloaded demo. After 3-4 weeks I bought the license.
When Motor City Online closed it's doors in 2003 I went Googling for "online racing sim" or something like that. I'm pretty sure back then the first result was the RSC forums, but obviously the LFS site was somewhere near the top.

After the lovely wait for a 56k download and installing it, I realised it looked familiar. Turns out I had a copy on a really really old PC Zone cover CD from back in the day. I still have that disc, I should check it out
Of course back then I only had the keyboard, so while I could drive the XFG, the RWD cars kept stepping out on me and I didn't really get into it that much. but I didn't forget about it...

Fast forward a couple of years, my little brother discovers online gaming and asks if there's any racing games we could play together. Not having a copy of his favourite (Porsche Unleashed) I suggested the only thing that came to mind - LFS. We played the demo online together a lot, me using the keyboard and him using the mouse. A LOT. And then one day I said I was gonna get the S2 license for my birthday. He said if I did that, he'd also register his copy. Which we both did (his username is DCIsmith I think). I also got a wheel to go along with it.

And so it began...
Ermm, I can't really remember, i think it was Bob who introduced me to LFS, he came round one day and downloaded the demo me thinks. My join date says October but the demo was sitting on my comp for a while before then. I didn't fully get into lfs until 2005 ish though as I was involved in other leagues on various mods of f1 99-02.
#47 - Goop
After about an hour of reading through my atrocious trolling posts :doh: I found the link that brought me to LFS - and serenity

Link

Quote from James63 @ Codemasters' Forum :The best part is it has multiplayer also. Race up against 8 players in this version, awesome fun.

Phwooar!
Quote from Goop :After about an hour of reading through my atrocious trolling posts :doh: I found the link that brought me to LFS - and serenity

Link

Phwooar!

Blimey Goop, thats where I spotted it as well. Make's you laugh
The best part of that:

Quote from James63 :The full version is due in 6 - 12 months.

Dated August 2002
I was watching videos on youtube, then got the name somehow, and thought, maybe that game have demo, and I started playing, about 1 year ago. I was so excited.

How did it all start for you?
(81 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG