The online racing simulator
Flymike, if you want to ditch Flight Sim (which is awful unless you are a graphics whore), then X-Plane 9 Beta2 is currently released, and it looks pretty fantastic to me. And what's more, the planes tend to fly like... PLANES!!!!

Get rid of Flight Sim before you start to think it's good/well written/bug free/realistic etc
It may be a driver problem, if not, then check your CPU/GPU temperatures. I had this problem when my CPU fan was full of dust. I was running at something around 75 degrees (It was my old AMD Athlon 2800 XP)
in idle.
Didn't this same thing used to happen with some people when they minimised LFS and then opened it again? I remember my old screwy system I got the square text / messed up mirrors issue doing stuff like that.

Sorry to say this, but unless there's a lot of people getting the same issue under the same conditions, that's a system problem not a software bug.
If you've been overclocking anything, that would be my first stop. Simply returning to normal speeds might fix it, but if you've fried something you're out of luck.

Try changing gfx devices (I'm pretty sure your motherboard will have an onboard device) to see if it's the card. LFS will run on integrated hardware, I suspect Flight Sim won't (bad programming? I doubt it).

Try digging up some more Dx7/8 games to see if they work as well. If it's area of the card that affects only old Dx stuff that's faulty, you will experience issues with other games that use the same part, which would explain why Dx10 Flight Sim doesn't.

Of course if you're using a Dx10 card, it might just be that those drivers don't fully support older versions of Dx very well.
Im also having the same problem but.. i have a 9550 radeon gfx card w/ the latest driver out.. and it says "Could not initialise graphics" So idk wth is going on. every other game works except lfs.
Quote from LRB_Aly :It may be a driver problem, if not, then check your CPU/GPU temperatures. I had this problem when my CPU fan was full of dust. I was running at something around 75 degrees (It was my old AMD Athlon 2800 XP)
in idle.

And....how do I do this?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG