The online racing simulator
Manual Clutch V. Controllers.
(17 posts, started )
This has probably been discussed a million times, but oh well, this is my take on it.

I'm sure most of you have your fancy $300 G25 wheel with the clutch pedal and all, which is nice. Not everyone does though. I use my joystick, and have been since I started playing LFS YEARS ago. It worked perfectly, and I saw no reasons to buy a wheel. Of course I wouldn't mind having a G25 like mostly everyone on here. If I did I wouldn't be complaining about the clutch.

With the current patch thats changed. I am talking about the forced manual clutch and clutch heat (which is way off). With the clutch assigned to a button it is basically an on off switch. Makes getting off the line fast nearly impossible. You either get it to hot, or you bog down on the start. Both ways you end up dead last right away. The same goes for down shifting and up shifting. It is pretty much impossible to be smooth with the clutch assigned to a button.

It would be nice if you could still have the option to have the auto clutch. I see no difference having the option, but letting servers decide to force if it is enabled or disabled. Sure, the hardcore league servers would have the manual clutch, still knowing that I can join a server with the auto clutch and have a competitive fun race.

*obtains flame suit*

PS. I know the patch isn't released yet, and things can change in that time...
Id suggest looking at your set gearing ratio, and listening/feeling for slip in the diff.
i have g25 and i use both manual auto clutch. Both have difficulties to overcome when using.
I've been playing on the keyboard, which is pretty much either on/off.

I haven't had a problem =/
#4 - Gunn
Quote from Roadie :With the clutch assigned to a button it is basically an on off switch. Makes getting off the line fast nearly impossible. You either get it to hot, or you bog down on the start. Both ways you end up dead last right away. The same goes for down shifting and up shifting. It is pretty much impossible to be smooth with the clutch assigned to a button.

Yes, a button clutch is not the best for getting off the line, but for changing gears it works just fine.
Then let's have some kind of launch assistance for keyboard players, but not something that would make every start perfect. Maybe something like NFS has for the drags, so that there is a certain amount of skill involved, not just building up the revs to the max and waiting for green light.
Quote from Roadie :It would be nice if you could still have the option to have the auto clutch.

Don't we still have that option?
#7 - axus
Quote from thisnameistaken :Don't we still have that option?

Uh, yes. It's there... I've been using it since I don't have a third pedal.
yeah, auto-clutch is still there, only auto-blip and auto-cut are missing.

On a sidenote: I switched from my DFP, where the pedals finally broke, to the G25 last week, and I too can't manage to start withput overheating the clutch a tad. But I don't know if it is due to me having almost no experience with the ingame clutch behavior, or with the clutch system in lfs.
#10 - axus
interesting.. It wouldn't work last night :\

Anyways. I want my blip on downshift back.
Quote from ColeusRattus :I too can't manage to start withput overheating the clutch a tad.

What do you mean with "overheating a tad"? The clutch is either overheated (red bar) or not (no bar, or orange bar). What the F9/10 display shows is simply clutch heat, nothing else. You're not supposed to NOT get any orange bar, getting a few pixels worth of orange bar is perfectly normal.
Quote from Roadie :interesting.. It wouldn't work last night :\

Anyways. I want my blip on downshift back.

Here you go:

Haha. No blip for you.
You don't need to buy G25 to have 3 pedal action. LFS has one of the best multiple controller options I have seen In any game. I use an MS Sidewinder wheel and for a clutch I use some cheapo Madcatz Playstation wheel and pedal set. I have the wheel hidden away and its associated pedals next to my MS Sidewinder pedals. I connect the madcatz wheel to my pc using a Playstation to USB adapter, works a treat.

What I'm basically saying is if you have a spare 15 quid lying around theres no reason not to have an analog clutch for LFS. In fact, I bet there are a fair few people here that have a crap PS wheel and pedals gathering dust somewhere.
Heres an alternative to your £100+ G25.

Get an "RGT Pro" with a clutch peddle!

That's my Christmas sorted.
I don't have time to read more than the gist of the first post.
I use an xbox controller and have no problem whatsoever with the new clutch, even considering how soft it is; which will be adressed soon enough... In the mean time you just have to take it easy off standing starts.
I have never, not once, had the clutch reaching red temperature while shifting, and this after racing maybe 200 laps or more since patch X30.

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG