The online racing simulator
Petition to keep the old look key functionality.
It takes getting used to but it was unrealistic eforemost for the open wheelers. I think the others you can look further IRL then 90 degrees.
Do you think LFS is a democracy?
#4 - ease
hahaha
Quote from AndroidXP :Do you think LFS is a democracy?

No, but i believe fighting a little for the matters i find important to me.
Some people just bend over, i wont, i do what i can but keep it in good taste and behaviour.
tbh i dont mind the new look buttons, and as AndroidXP said this isn't a democracy, i doubt signing a petition will change anything

[edit] oooo 100 posts
You can still look 90 degrees btw, just say you have 2 buttons as your L/R look functions on your wheel.
If you want to look 90c left, you press left look first, then right look button, your head will turn 90 degrees. Vise versa with RH 90c look.
Also if you press R on your keyboard it either comes up with a mirror or it looks behind. You haven't lost everything my friend
Quote from Drunken Predator :No, but i believe fighting a little for the matters i find important to me.
Some people just bend over, i wont, i do what i can but keep it in good taste and behaviour.

Well the devs can do what they want. But if enough people sign then who knows what happens =)

I like the new look, much better than it was. In the tintops I think you still should be able to look using a two button press(it is harder ot look farther, hence it should be harder for us too) but you still can do it. (Duck aleady says this is possible)

I don't know how theTrackIR works, maybe this would solve the look issue?
You should see me racing, i could never use track IR, im all over my racing seat!
I honestly don't understand what Scawen was thinking when he changed this. I'm kind of stunned why particularly this feature got hammered - if it's not broken, don't fix it? I don't really remember anyone even talking about this before.

The "instant" 90 degree view look was the best look mode in all sims. 45 degrees is pretty much useless (obviously the 90 deg is still there but anyways) but good for checking mirrors though. I'm all for realism but I think this is not a subject to discuss whether it's realistic or not as long as curved 180 degrees screen is not a standard gaming equipment. Obviously in real life you don't need to turn your head 90 degrees to see what's on your left/right side.

Altough I'm ok with the behind view removal - that's not quite realistic, I doubt any racing driver owns a neck similar to owls.
Yeah, instant 90 degree view on the side is something thats been on my wishlist for other sims for ages.. Like in Race07 look left/right is close to useless unless you have a super computer and can use mirrors and high resolution, even then its far from optimal..
i actually prefer the 45 degree look but would rather have the second view at about 110 degrees, not very realistic in terms of HANS devices etc but its about the angle that most people can reach when they look "over their shoulder" and i find it more usefull as 45 degrees allows me to judge the car that im trying to get up the inside of ( oooo missus ) whilst still watching the track ahead,

i used to use these settings using "mouselook" and if its compatable with the new patch it presents an obvious solution to those who want the old 90 degree look as they can specify whatever angle they want their button press to generate.

anothe rpossible solution might be for the button press to start the head rotating at a realistic rate of turn untill you release the button and then to return the head to straight ahead with a second press of the same button
Yes, MouseLook is compatible, but LFS still limits the available look range, so you can't look back with it either. You can, however, set it up to allow for the old instant 90° look
45 seems to be necessary in FBM to even really use the mirrors.
Quote from AndroidXP :Yes, MouseLook is compatible, but LFS still limits the available look range, so you can't look back with it either. You can, however, set it up to allow for the old instant 90° look

I gotta look into this! You might just become my new hero!
If i dont achieve anything else with this petition, at least i can achieve the title of "the guy who created the most unsupported petition ever", thats some sort of achievement too i guess
First of all I don't mind the 45 degree look function, it should be left in, but I think you should have the option to look 90 degrees on one button press too.

I use a DFP with the left, right and down POV buttons to look around. This makes it impossible to press both left and then right (or vice versa) at the same time.

If anyone has a solution I'm all ears, but for me I would like to see the 90 degree look added again as well as perhaps the option for switching between 45 and 90 somehow (maybe a 'press for 90 degrees' toggle button?)

#17 - col
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :It takes getting used to but it was unrealistic eforemost for the open wheelers. I think the others you can look further IRL then 90 degrees.

Sitting in your chair, turn your head ~30º to the right, now if you look with your eyes as far right as possible, what is the limit of your vision?

yes, (assuming you use a standard monitor and reasonable FOV it's about the same as you get with the 90º look feature!

Sure, IRL you wouldn't turn your head fully 90º unless you were reversing, turning your head 90º lets you see more than 180º (measured from directly forward).

I can see as far to the side IRL without moving my head at all as I can with the 45º look feature!

If LFS is to give a similar visual awareness to real life, then instant 90º via a single button press is so far the best solution.

IMO, the look buttons should be about giving a more realistic visual range and awareness, not about exactly matching the limits of rotation of a human neck.

Col
Tried to do the old 90 degree way with Logitech Profiler's commands/keystrokes and managed to get it look instantly 90 degrees but then the view got stucked. Probably not possible to do it work properly.
Cant beileve people actually complain over this ? dont you have a dog to walk, or do xmas shopping, or bike to ride ?
Quote from vrooom :Cant beileve people actually complain over this ? dont you have a dog to walk, or do xmas shopping, or bike to ride ?

Dont you?

Quote from deggis :Tried to do the old 90 degree way with Logitech Profiler's commands/keystrokes and managed to get it look instantly 90 degrees but then the view got stucked. Probably not possible to do it work properly.

Ive quit using the profiler long ago (gives more problems than does good), what i did use is a program called key delay with my button box (only in GTL, too many buttons for the game to understand), and i dont think that will help either. Tested a bit the mouselook program, it works fine.. maybe you lose some smoothness, but at least it works, even a treat.. so im happy with that one.. gotta test a little bit more though.
This is getting absurd.

How about if we'd make a compromise for about 60 degrees of sidelook to stop the whining and constant cries of 'BWAAAA I'M QUITTING NOW' only to see their online status at racing some server happily.

EDIT: I'm cool with 45 degrees but it's indeed quite stressful indeed to keep mental track of the cars around you based on when was the last time you saw them in your mirrors after they entered your blindspots.

EDIT2: What I do like is that the overall the 45 degrees does make you have a more sane race mentality: Making yourself seen in your opponent's mirror before making a risky move and being more considerate not to ram an inch of your bumber into every tight space in hopes of they'll see it coming.
I'd really appreciate a mouselook button feature within LFS. I guess it's not implemented because most people use a wheel, and going from a wheel to mouse probably doesn't work? I don't know.

The way I'd like to see it work is to assign a basic reasonable degree of movement for each car (left, right, up, down), and when you reach the limit of movement with the mouse there's a resistance which stops you going much further, simulating the flexible limits of the neck muscles.

I like the 45 degree look, as I can check mirrors much better that way with a much narrower FOV, but I also want to look down and check my gear indicator, speedo etc, so I think a mouselook button would be really handy- it seems the best solution to my mind.
I'm not signing any online petition (I'm sure Scawen would rather listen to constructive feedback than be confronted with a list of names), but I agree that the X30 view controls need to be changed. They are the chief and sole reason I've barely dared to drive online with the test patch despite it being an otherwise brilliant patch for LFS - because some people can do 90° look, but I can't with the DFP's D-pad and I feel blind. I've no peripheral vision or spatial awareness unless I bump the FOV up so high that it goes all fisheye. I've posted more about it here which matched what deggis said about being unable to replicate a two button look using the Profiler - maybe the threads should be merged, I dunno. This has been discussed a lot and presumably Scawen must have seen it and made a decision about it one way or the other (just pray I can do a 90° look in the next test patch), so more topics about it every couple of days probably won't help the cause.
I'd quite like an option, but that said, I don't have a preference for either system, as I always used the animation to get a more complete view what's going on around me... To press a second button now is a bit more of a hassle, but nothing I can't adjust to...
Well the issue with 90 degree look is you can't see anything with it in the FBM (and the BF1 if it wasn't for the camera clipping so 45 degrees is logical for those cars. 45 degrees seems like a realistic limit for all the cars IMO, if this feature was added to limit LFS to realistic look angles then I don't see why we still have 90 degree look available. Personally I'd like to see the old system back but with a user defined look value for each car (up to a maximum of about 70 degrees to keep it realistic and stop people exploiting clipping issues).

The complete removal of the 180 degrees look is a very good feature though

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG