The online racing simulator
BUG REPORTS : Formula BMW
(133 posts, started )
Scawen, I dunno if you noticed this thread, just posting it here for reference.
Quote from mrodgers :Throttle blipping is no different than we've been doing it for years, those of us who have been doing it manually. Either you can left foot brake so you have your right foot to do as you please, or you heel-toe like those with a clutch must do. It's simple.

Yes, it is difficult to heel-toe, but you state DFP. What is so difficult about left-foot braking and blipping the throttle with your right foot? I as well as many many others have been doing it for years. Surely you haven't been braking with your right foot with only 2 pedals....

Those of us who are new with a clutch pedal are the ones who should be having difficulties. I can't believe how difficult it is to brake and downshift while blipping the throttle. Heel-toe shifting is taking all my concentration and leaving me with missing and over running my braking points as well as with brake lockup and trips into the sand.

No, man, I use to have the thing off, and it would work the clutch for me on the downshifts... so I used one foot for driving. Now it doesnt work the clutchon downshifts no more... and I cant do it like I used to be able to in X prime version.

Quote from mrodgers :Surely you haven't been braking with your right foot with only 2 pedals....

Dont make assumptions man, that's exaclty how I have been driving in LFS! No thorttle cut, no blip on downshift, and autoclutch till now, braking with my right foot. But, now that the new patch is out, it is all screwed up man. also, with autoclutch, it shouldn't wear/heat/whatever the clutch at ALL! OTher wise, wtf is point of that? lol.

I guess I will need to get a second set of pedals now. Also, I CAN drive, I can heel-toe just fine in real life as well, not kidding.
Quote from Mako. :also, with autoclutch, it shouldn't wear/heat/whatever the clutch at ALL! OTher wise, wtf is point of that?

The purpose of auto-clutch is to depress the clutch so that you can change gears. However, you are still responsible for making sure that the engine revs match the drivetrain speed. Otherwise, the clutch ends up taking the brunt of the damage when it tries to make the two match. Either the tires slip or the clutch does, but the speed differential has to go somewhere.
Quote from Mako. :Dont make assumptions man, that's exaclty how I have been driving in LFS! No thorttle cut, no blip on downshift, and autoclutch till now, braking with my right foot. But, now that the new patch is out, it is all screwed up man. also, with autoclutch, it shouldn't wear/heat/whatever the clutch at ALL! OTher wise, wtf is point of that? lol.

I guess I will need to get a second set of pedals now. Also, I CAN drive, I can heel-toe just fine in real life as well, not kidding.

I don't know what you think has changed. I have a 2 pedal setup and the only change to my driving is that I now lift the throttle a bit when I up-shift and respect the rev limiter on down-shifts. I'm really lost because you say you used to play with no throttle cut or blip. So you won't be missing either of those. The clutch isn't so fast on downshifts that you have no time to blip the throttle. If you were heel-toeing without auto-blip before, then just the same technique will work with X30.
well, it shure feels different to me... hmm, it's like, it has way less time to let you blip it....

I actualy tried playing with auto blip once, and was SLOWER than withought it... buy now I'm like, really slow no matter what. Ah, practice practice, practice.
Quote from Mako. :
I selected "auto clutch" and had the clutch heat up a copuple times driving on BL in the FBMW.

So, when I lift the gas and upshift, the auto clutch is not used?
hmm, wierd... then, is it used when I TRY to throttle blip?
As in, if you are breaking, and hit the gas, does it clutch in during this? I dont think so, and the only way for me to drive then, is to use the left paddle for the clutch pedal, which sucks.

You do not need to use the clutch on the FBM, or any of the other sequentially shifted race cars, just like you don't IRL. If you turn auto-clutch on in LFS with one of those cars it will simply help you pull away and stop you stalling it. It won't do anything on gear shifts.
Actually its not a bug, but its strange,weird and very unreal...
I hote it will be fixed...Maximal FOV in FBM
Attached images
fbmmaxfov.jpg
#59 - SamH
Quote from Spangler_CZE :Actually its not a bug, but its strange,weird and very unreal...
I hote it will be fixed...Maximal FOV in FBM

I suspect that FOV probably suits a triple-head setup. That, or something with a really really wide screen
Yea, I see now, that its not a problem only with the FBM...
Quote from Cash_FLow :I know but its kinda hard to see our speed and gas percentage on the speedo(the digits r a bit too little)

Maybe so, but unlike the others, the FBMW is real (ok, we all know the FO8 is an F3000 and FOX a Formula Renault, but they don't claim to be). This is how they are on an FBMW.. changing them to big mickey mouse displays like the other open-wheelers would both be wrong for the car and possibly upset whoever's involved with this BMW deal as it'd make it look cheap and nasty and non-accurate.

I doubt very much that there's a lot that's really readable on the display sitting in the real thing whilst hurtling around tracks.. there's really no reason to even be looking at it while on the move, is there? Surely people know how many laps worth of fuel they put in before they started.. and that's the only thing that needs to be thought about, IMO

Regards,

Ian
#62 - hda
I don't know what happened. I turned around and drove backwards a little, and the clutch engaged going backwards. I turned around and the game said my clutch was off, but the car drove like it was on. After ther race on the SO highway:
Attached files
clutch^q.mpr - 780.3 KB - 290 views
OT but:

Quote from SamH :I suspect that FOV probably suits a triple-head setup. That, or something with a really really wide screen

I can't understand why people requested the 120 degree limit to be upped. I mean if people want to use 160 degrees, that's fine, but even on my triple screen setup I only run 100 degrees (similar to 60ish on a single screen), 120 looks weird and 160 is ridiculous even on a 4:1 aspect ratio.

/OT
Quote from sinbad :Not a bug, but I'm curious about the setup options. I'm guessing that you can't adjust/swap the differential in a real FBMW in the way you can in LFS, among other things I imagine.
So........why aren't setup options chosen to follow the real cars/series' when every effort is made to make it identical in other ways?

You order the differential type with the gearbox, either a free diff, or for an extra few hundred quid, you get a powerflow differential. From what I can tell... it's pretty damn adjustable!

Which looks like this:

http://www.hewland-engineering.com/drawings/egt.pdf - page 13

it has 11 friction plates and is adjustable in 3 ways.

Quote :The side ring gears angles
have an effect on how much of
the transmitted torque is
converted into sideways
(clamping) force onto the
plates. For example, on the
drive side of the ring gear, 45
degrees transmits less
sideways force than 30
degrees. Likewise on the coast
side of the ring gear, an 80
degree angle will transmit little
or no clamping force onto the
plates, whereas a 45 degree
angle will transmit a much
greater force. The side rings
gear(120) are available with
many different drive/coast
ramp angle combinations.

The second adjustable factor is
how tightly the plate stack is
compressed on assembly (known
as static preload). Included in the
plate stack is a preload spacer
(118). The preload torque is
measured between the side bevel
gears, by holding one side bevel
gear (68) stationary, and
measuring the torque required to
turn the other using tool SK-838-
C. Disc spring (96) provides a
pre-load of 100lbs.ft. The static
pre-load can be altered by rotating
the diff end cap (38). Each rotation
of a tooth alters the preload
by approximately 20lbs.ft.

The final adjustment is simply to
re-order the plate stack so as to
change the number of relatively
rotating faces. The diagram
shows the stack setup with the
maximum 10 working faces.
Standard stack may be shuffled
to give as few as 2 working faces.

Available gear ratios include:

Quote :Part Number DESCRIPTION Ratio
FTR-12:38-INT Layshaft integral first gear 3.17
FTR-12:35-INT Layshaft integral first gear 2.92
FTR-12:33-INT Layshaft integral first gear 2.75
FTR-12:31-INT Layshaft integral first gear 2.58
FTR-12:29-INT Layshaft integral first gear 2.42
FTR-14:33-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 2.36
FTR-13:30-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 2.31
FTR-15:34-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 2.27
FTR-15:33-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 2.20
FTR-15:32-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 2.13
FTR-15:31-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 2.07
FTR-15:30-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 2.00
FTR-15:30-STD RATIO 2.00
FTR-15:29-STD RATIO 1.93
FTR-15:29-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 1.93
FTR-16:30-STD RATIO 1.88
FTR-16:30-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 1.88
FTR-17:31-STD RATIO 1.82
FTR-17:31-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 1.82
FTR-15:27-STD RATIO 1.80
FTR-15:27-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 1.80
FTR-17:30-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 1.76
FTR-17:30-STD RATIO 1.76
FTR-15:26-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 1.73
FTR-15:26-STD RATIO 1.73
FTR-17:29-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 1.71
FTR-17:29-STD RATIO 1.71
FTR-16:27-STD RATIO 1.69
FTR-16:27-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 1.69
FTR-15:25-STD RATIO 1.67
FTR-15:25-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 1.67
FTR-16:26-HUB 2nd Gear RATIO 1.63
FTR-16:26-STD RATIO 1.63
FTR-17:27-STD RATIO 1.59
FTR-16:25-STD RATIO 1.56
FTR-17:26-STD RATIO 1.53
FTR-16:24-STD RATIO 1.50
FTR-17:25-STD RATIO 1.47
FTR-16:23-STD RATIO 1.44
FTR-19:27-STD RATIO 1.42
FTR-18:25-STD RATIO 1.39
FTR-19:26-STD RATIO 1.37
FTR-17:23-STD RATIO 1.35
FTR-18:24-STD RATIO 1.33
FTR-19:25-STD RATIO 1.32
FTR-20:26-STD RATIO 1.30
FTR-18:23-STD RATIO 1.28
FTR-19:24-STD RATIO 1.26
FTR-20:25-STD RATIO 1.25
FTR-21:26-STD RATIO 1.24
FTR-18:22-STD RATIO 1.22
FTR-19:23-STD RATIO 1.21
FTR-21:25-STD RATIO 1.19
FTR-23:27-STD RATIO 1.17
FTR-19:22-STD RATIO 1.16
FTR-21:24-STD RATIO 1.14
FTR-24:27-STD RATIO 1.13
FTR-19:21-STD RATIO 1.11
FTR-24:26-STD RATIO 1.08
FTR-18:19-STD RATIO 1.06
FTR-25:26-STD RATIO 1.04
FTR-24:24-STD RATIO 1.00
FTR-25:24-STD RATIO 0.96
FTR-26:24-STD RATIO 0.92
FTR-27:24-STD RATIO 0.89

And for good measure, their reccomendations on changing gear with a sequential:

Quote :Successful up-shifting, (defined as fast and non dog-damaging) will be achieved by fully moving the dog ring as rapidly as possible from one gear to the next, preferably with the engine's driving load removed until the shift is completed. (The opposite is true of a synchromesh gearbox as used in passenger cars, where slow movement helps). It should be remembered that it is not possible to damage the dogs when fully engaged (in gear). The damage can only take place when initiating contact during a shift, (the `danger zone`) therefore this element must be made as short as possible. If a driver moves the gear lever slowly, or if the linkage is not rigid and effective, dog wear will occur. We always recommend lightweight yet solid rod linkage, not cables ideally.

I list below the different methods of up-shifting that are used in racing most commonly. The best at the top, the worst at the bottom:

Automated (semi automated). The movement of the dog ring is powered and the engine is cut / re-instated in a co-ordinated manner. Gear-shifts take milliseconds. This system produces zero dog wear when set up well. It is not applicable to most cars, but it illustrates that speed of shift is a good thing.

Manual with engine cut. This system is almost as good as an automated one as long as the driver pulls the lever very quickly. Again it is not applicable to many cars, but it illustrates that speed of shift is a good thing. A `cheat` version of this is to shift on the engine rev limiter, which can work well. With this system it is especially important to move the lever ultra fast, otherwise the engine will be reinstated during partial dog engagement, causing damage. The damage can usually be felt by the driver.

Manual.
Best method: With no assistance from the engine management, the driver must lift off the throttle sufficiently to allow the dog ring to be pulled out of engagement. He should then stay off the throttle long enough to allow the dog ring to engage with the next gear. In practice, the driver can move the gear lever faster than he can move his foot off and back on to the throttle. Therefore the effective method is to apply load to the gear lever with your hand and then lift the throttle foot off and back on to the pedal as fast as physically possible. In lifting your foot, the loaded gear lever will almost involuntarily flick to the next gear before the foot is re-applied to the throttle.
Another method is to load the gear lever with your hand, stay flat on the throttle and dab the clutch to release the dog ring. The overall effect on the gear shift is similar to the above method, but clutch wear may become a big issue.
The worst method (most destructive and definitely slowest) is to attempt to change gear in a `passenger car / synchromesh` way, i.e. lifting off the throttle, dipping the clutch, moving the gear lever, letting the clutch up and re-instating the throttle. The method causes unnecessary clutch wear, does absolutely nothing to help come out of gear and usually causes dog wear whilst engaging the next gear. This wear is due to several reasons. Firstly, it is impossible for a driver to co-ordinate the complicated sequence of all five physical movements accurately. Consequently the engagement dogs often find themselves engaging whilst the throttle is applied. The lever is usually pulled more slowly as it was not pre-loaded, lengthening the `danger zone`.

Successful down-shifting, has similar rules applied regarding speed of shift. Unloading the dogs is done in the opposite manner obviously. Whilst braking, the dogs must be unloaded by either touching the throttle pedal or- my preferred method- by dipping the clutch. However, one sharp dab of clutch or throttle is appropriate per shift. Continued pressure on either will cause dog damage for different reasons. `Blipping the throttle` just before engagement is advisable if the rev drops between gears are over 1300 rpm, as this will aid engagement and stabilise the car.

This is a subject which can be much expended on, but I feel that these are the basics, which I hope are of use.

Quote from Ian.H :
I doubt very much that there's a lot that's really readable on the display sitting in the real thing whilst hurtling around tracks.. there's really no reason to even be looking at it while on the move, is there? Surely people know how many laps worth of fuel they put in before they started.. and that's the only thing that needs to be thought about, IMO

I'd hope most drivers have a rough idea because there would be no fuel gauge on the real thing (and I very much doubt it would even have a warning light). IRL the display would be used to display laptimes and engine instrumentation, something we don't have to worry about in LFS (yet)

Quote from z3r0c00l :You order the differential type with the gearbox, either a free diff, or for an extra few hundred quid, you get a powerflow differential. From what I can tell... it's pretty damn adjustable!

The actual Formula BMW gearbox/clutch/diff will either be fixed in the regulations (most likely) or even a sealed unit. A real Formula BMW racer has already posted that they had fixed power and coast settings. Whatever you can do with the LSD though the viscous and locked differentials still need to go.
#67 - J.B.
Quote :[on downshifts] unloading the dogs is done in the opposite manner obviously. Whilst braking, the dogs must be unloaded by either touching the throttle pedal or- my preferred method- by dipping the clutch.

I don't quite understand why this is the case but at least it supports my claim that it should be easier to blip on downshifts than it is at the moment in LFS.
If you're not pressing the clutch, then you can't blip the revs (the engine is connected to the wheels, so the blip has nowhere to go). I'm sure you understand that bit.

The touching the throttle (on the clutchless downshift) isn't to blip the revs, but to unload the dogs. In the few milliseconds the shift takes you either hope the revs are close enough for the dogs to engage (and hope it doesn't snatch the rear wheels), or your force it in and lock your wheels, or you get a horrid grinding noise as your dogs get smaller, and the oil in your 'box get's slightly more metally. But if successful (which with close gearing and race rubber it usually is) it's a very quick way to shift gear.

However, using the clutch will provide a time to blip the throttle, allowing dogs, engine, wheels and the road to all be going at the same speed, and thus being easier on everything (and not spinning you round as much). A good jab on the clutch, with a nice big heel&toe movement, will see a lovely gearchange nearly every time, with very little time penalty.

I think that's right. Correct me if I'm not.
#69 - J.B.
My problem with the above quote is that touching the throttle while braking would IMO increase the load on the dogs, not decrease it. And the original complaint I had was that if you touch the throttle before the downshift in LFS then you can't change gear.

AFAICT there can only be three posibilities for clutchless sequential downshifting:

1) Blipping on downshift is impossible without clutch.

2) Blipping needs to be timed to take place in exactly the split second in which neither gear is engaged.

3) The gear will disengage even if some throttle is being applied so the blip can be initiated a teeny little bit before moving the gear lever.

I know 1 isn't true, 2 seems impossible because there is no time so that only leaves 3. LFS is at 2. And if I understand you correctly you are somewhere between 1 and 2.
Quote from J.B. :My problem with the above quote is that touching the throttle while braking would IMO increase the load on the dogs, not decrease it. And the original complaint I had was that if you touch the throttle before the downshift in LFS then you can't change gear.

AFAICT there can only be three posibilities for clutchless sequential downshifting:

1) Blipping on downshift is impossible without clutch.

2) Blipping needs to be timed to take place in exactly the split second in which neither gear is engaged.

3) The gear will disengage even if some throttle is being applied so the blip can be initiated a teeny little bit before moving the gear lever.

I know 1 isn't true, 2 seems impossible because there is no time so that only leaves 3. LFS is at 2. And if I understand you correctly you are somewhere between 1 and 2.

When you are braking, the gears are being driven by the road. When you touch (blip) the throttle, won't the engine begin to drive them, with the result that the dogs are momentarily unloaded? Or do I need to sit down and think about why the throttle touch (blip) a) works and b) is recommended by Hewland themselves.
#71 - J.B.
I did sit down and what I came up with is that the brakes and the engine are playing tug of war.

In the higher gear the wheels are trying to slow down the engine so extra throttle will increase gear load. Then once the lower gear is engaged the wheels are trying to accelerate the engine (because of the sudden change of speed ratio) so increasing throttle will reduce gear load.

Right?

EDIT: or actually it depends on how fast the revs of the engine want to drop when you come off the throttle compared to how fast the brakes want them to drop. If the engine wants to drop fast (low inertia) then a touch of throttle will unload the gears. If the engine is slow in losing revs (high inertia) then throttle will only make things worse.

So is engine inertia the major factor in defining how hard/easy it is to blip on downshifts?
Erm, yes.

Sod it, just use the clutch on downshifts
Quote from Cash_FLow :I know but its kinda hard to see our speed and gas percentage on the speedo(the digits r a bit too little)

And it is really hard to hold 80 in the pits without limiter :P
I know it's so in real, but it's a bit stupid that i have to lean forward every time i have to pit
Well, we'll see..
Hold 75 then, so you have a little more margin for error?
I ment it's hard to hold the speed, if you can't read the speedo :P
I can hold the speed with all other cars without limiter, thats not my point

BUG REPORTS : Formula BMW
(133 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG