The online racing simulator
Engine repairs as an option
(13 posts, started )
In patch X30, we have new feature Engines are no longer repaired in pit stops. This is good for realism in short races, but I think we need an option for engine repairs in endu races (like 16h, 24h). Engine repairs has to be time consuming (like in real life), not 1min ones. Theoretically engine repair times should be in proportion to other repair times (suspension etc.).

This said Tristan about my suggestion in another thread and I agree with him:

Quote from tristancliffe :Engine repairs taking between 10 minutes and 5 hours would be a good thing too I suppose (as long as people can quit the repair option in the first minute so they don't have to sit through what is going to be a long stop in a 1 hour race!). And yo'd need a countdown really (so you can go and get a cup of tea safe in the knowledge the pitstop won't finish whilst you're not there)...

Go on Scawen - there's a cookie in it for you!
#3 - ajp71
I think possibly simply giving a repair time and a time to rejoin the server at would be a better option. Certainly LFS needs some kind of way of saving the state and let you properly rejoin an endurance race after disconnect rather than shift + P though first.
Quote from R.Kolz :I agree with the OP.
Here is my proposal:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=34836

Engine damage should ALWAYS be on (no server side options) unless you can point me to an engine that cannot be damaged, and is used in car racing. You can't.

But engine repair should be a LOOOOOOONG time. Even just checking compressions will take a few minutes. Taking heads off, sump off, piston's out, new rings (for example), and all back together is going to take even a great endurance race team rather longer than a few minutes.

Assuming that in most races you can't just swap the engine for a new one, then large amounts of damage should either leave you retired at the side of the circuit, competing at much reduced speed, or sitting in the pits (or spectating, or making coffee) for minutes if not hours. I'm sure the 24hr gurus would prefer that.

Then of course car/engine/position/lap state needs to be remembered for a bit in case of disconnects, which would allow a long engine repairer to leave the server until it's time to come back...
Cooling the clutch, easy. 2 tubes, open them up in a pitstop, hook one up to something, that will force cold air into it, hot air will go out of the second. Close them up (seal them) and you're on your way. The cooling could be done by sub zero alcohol running through a radiator, through which the air going into the clutch would go :P
#8 - ajp71
Quote from tristancliffe :Engine damage should ALWAYS be on (no server side options) unless you can point me to an engine that cannot be damaged, and is used in car racing. You can't.

Absolutely, the whole concept of a server side option is really silly.
Quote from ajp71 :Absolutely, the whole concept of a server side option is really silly.

It was ment as a suggestion, a proposal, a compromise as the new patch doesn´t repair engine damage anymore.
Quote from R.Kolz :It was ment as a suggestion, a proposal, a compromise as the new patch doesn´t repair engine damage anymore.

And neither will your mechanics in the pitlane most of the time (very long endurance racing being the exception).
i would love to see that, endurance racing in lfs would seriously catch up rfactor ones if not pass them with this option
rTractor has endurance racing?
Quote from Primoz :rTractor has endurance racing?

well not Tractor but rFactor, yes and i have to say with some mods they look kick ass

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG